RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Rembrandt - Golden Glow

Old 08-06-2010, 11:29 AM

Rembrandt - Golden Glow

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how I can recreate the golden glow Rembrandt acheived in his portraits so that i can apply them to my images?

I appreciate the various glow effects using a gaussian blur layer set to screen or softlight and then masking to just the skin tones, however I'd really like to know how to acheive a really good gold look.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Re: Rembrandt - Golden Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how I can recreate the golden glow Rembrandt acheived in his portraits so that i can apply them to my images?

I appreciate the various glow effects using a gaussian blur layer set to screen or softlight and then masking to just the skin tones, however I'd really like to know how to acheive a really good gold look.

Many thanks
ok a stupid one but how about using match colour in ps using a image with the colour you want to achieve as the source ?

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2010, 03:58 PM

Another dumb one, but just create a new layer set to color and fill with a warmer color. Then lower the opacity and mask out so the effect is only where you want it to be on the skin tones I guess. Rembrandt and other baroque painters always bathed the subject in light against a darker background so you might want to do a curves adjustment layer set to luminosity to boost the contrast of the subject against the background.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2010, 11:36 PM

make a gradient map adjustment layer that goes from a dark reddish brown to a pale golden yellow. Play with the the layer's blending mode- start with multiply and soft light.

this color palette fascinates me. I used it here.

use very little blue in the image, ultra marine blue was very expensive so painters used it very sparingly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 PM

I'm not sure how much photography experience or knowledge you have, but the first step is to emulate his lighting and it is so distinctive photographers call it 'Rembrandt lighting.' Google it and you'll come up with a lot of lighting diagrams.

Once you've started with a correctly lit image, adding the colour tonality you want is simply a matter of using either of the techniques above. But if your subject isn't lit or posed the way Rembrandt did it, you won't emulate the look just by adding colour.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2010, 10:00 PM

btw, Nasturtium, love your manipulation of the legate. Great masking and background lighting matches perfectly.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching