Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Amazing black&white portrait-How to do about it ?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Amazing black&white portrait-How to do about it ?

How do you go about getting this teqnique Attached ?
I love black and white photos and love how sharp this photo is!
Could anybody help me on how to make my photo more like this ?

My Photo-

Many Thanks x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black_and_White_Portrait_2_by_theGaffney.jpg (91.2 KB, 103 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Re: Amazing black&white portrait-How to do about i

Originally Posted by shanice01 View Post
Could anybody help me on how to make my photo more like this ?

My Photo-

Many Thanks x
Well, that depends on you. Tell us what exactly you need help with doing. So far, your posts have uploaded photos for other people to do for you without ever showing any work that you have done on them. Do you have Photoshop? Are you learning to do retouching? What level are you at - what do you already know how to do? Have you looked on this forum and others for tutorials to show you how to do black/white conversions? (I know there are threads here, there and everywhere on the subject).

I would recommend using another photo - a close-up of your face looking at the camera similar to the photo you linked to. You are looking so far to the side in your photo that your eyes are not visible, and that takes a lot of the power away from your image.

So, tell us what you know how to do or what you are having trouble doing by yourself, and there are lots of people who will help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Seeing as you asked for tips on how to achieve a look in one of your other threads (even though you forgot your manners and have not responded to the help offered by Palms) there is a possibility that you want to learn.... so I would do as CJ suggests and put forth some effort to help us help you

CJ was being very Kind to you... The FAQs are: Will you do my restoration/retouch/repair for me?
No. This is a site for learning, and we will gladly help you learn to do it yourself. We have a "Image Help" forum just for that purpose. Click on "Forums" on the navbar to get there. There is also a "Classifieds" forum if you're willing to pay one of our members to work on your photo.

You can turn any photo into a piece of art (pencil sketch, pen and ink drawing, various painting renderings (oil and watercolor)) using the free standalone program from fotosketcher

A simple Google search for FREE Sketch Programs yields lots of results

IF you have Photoshop then ActionCentral has a lot of sketch actions

The old fogies way (the way I used to do it!) is to lay a piece of onion skin paper over a photo.... Tack it down... draw/sketch the picture... go over the pencil marks with a magic marker with the right sized tip(s)... then, if you don't have a scanner either, have it photocopied/scanned somewhere

The following was done in Photoshop with the sketch parts done using a purchased Redfield plugin called Fractalius (they also have a program called Sketch Master for sale)

First the original
second a composite with the original, a color corrected version, a pinker version with someone else's eyes and smoothed out prior to being sketched, then the sketch version using several layers of Fractalius, in the center a crop of the sketch

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sketch_Orig.jpg (195.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Sketch-Consolidated.jpg (199.0 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Reshoot. The photo you want to emulate has very flat frontal lighting, which washes out the shadows. Your photo has light coming from the left quarter rear and will therefore never give you the same look.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching