RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What skin techniques?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 AM

Question What skin techniques?

Hey folks,

I just stumbled over this incredible portfolio and wondered what techniques this retoucher uses to achieve her quite unique skin look:

http://www.olgagogoleva.com/

You can look at the original pictures if you click the pics to open in a pop up and mouseover the retouched picture.

I guess she's doing it the Amy Desser way by meticulously lightening and darkening blemishes and so on but I wonder if you can recognize any other techniques?

Thx, Alex

some of my own work: www.modelmayhem.com/funkypixels
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Re: What skin techniques?

I guess it's mostly dodge and burn. Healing brush and clone stamp are used before to clean up the texture.
Maybe some inverted high pass was used as well (see this for explanation: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098).

Hue/Saturation, Selective Color and curves might further help you get the overall colors a little more even.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 AM

Thx very much for the link. I've used the built in highpass filter a lot of times but I haven't tried these advanced spatial frequency operations, quite interesting stuff!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2010, 03:41 PM

I've tried that technique you recommended and I'm very happy with the result!
Here's my first try using the frequency seperation method:

Skin close up:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/19010563

Complete photo:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/19010268

Thx a lot!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einfallspinsel View Post
Hey folks,

I just stumbled over this incredible portfolio and wondered what techniques this retoucher uses to achieve her quite unique skin look:

http://www.olgagogoleva.com/

You can look at the original pictures if you click the pics to open in a pop up and mouseover the retouched picture.

I guess she's doing it the Amy Desser way by meticulously lightening and darkening blemishes and so on but I wonder if you can recognize any other techniques?

Thx, Alex

some of my own work: www.modelmayhem.com/funkypixels
Some of it looks too plastic to me at web res, but it might look fine in print. It does look like aside from normal retouching they may have bumped up the intensity of the texture in the pores slightly. I think this is worth mentioning, the lightening and darkening you refer to is basically the norm if you do this for a living. There are a ton of variations on how but they all do essentially the same thing. Really it's just photoshop copying what people did with small brushes pre-photoshop. I always do cloning of hairs and stuff first.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
I guess it's mostly dodge and burn. Healing brush and clone stamp are used before to clean up the texture.
Maybe some inverted high pass was used as well (see this for explanation: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098).

Hue/Saturation, Selective Color and curves might further help you get the overall colors a little more even.
Hi: I'm also a newbie at the D&B technique, and I would like to know; at what stage the high pass frequency separation should be applied, is it before or after the D&B?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 AM

I would apply it before all dodge & burn.
The reason is, that you heal and clone on the HIGH layer (to get the texture right) and it makes sense to do that before dodging and burning (to get the tonality right).
Also clipping your dodge & burn layers (if using "Soft Light") might avoid some color shifts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 10:28 AM

Thanx a lot Jonas, i really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Also clipping your dodge & burn layers (if using "Soft Light") might avoid some color shifts.
I'd like to explore this with you a bit.

You clip them to the high pass? I guess this assumes all the tonal shifts are contained on the high pass layer, which suggests a relatively high pixel radius in the separation? But if all that tonality is on the highpass layer isn't the color sometimes carried along with it? Do you desaturate the HIGH layer? I find you can get away with that at a low radius separation, but you get color shifts at high radius because so much color is contained on the HP layer.

This gets at my confusion around separation radii. I sometimes like to separate at a low-ish radius, say 5 px, to lift just the texture, leaving tonal variations like freckles and blotchiness below, which I then treat in bandstop fashion with blur, clone, airbrush, etc, on the lowpass layer. Put that in a folder and D&B in it's own folder above.

If you contain all the "grunge" on the high pass layer, what's left to deal with on the low pass layer? IOW, what's the point of the separation if all the grunge is still on one layer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 11:47 AM

In fact, clipping the Soft Light to the High Pass has less to do with the LOW layer containing the color as you might think now.
It has more to do with the formulas of the blending modes (e.g. Soft Light: A <= 0.5: C = (2*A-1)*(B-B²)+B ; A > 0.5: C = (2*A-1)*(sqrt(B)-B)+B), which may react differently on the individual channels and therefore produce color shifts, whereas Linear Light uses C = A+2*B-1, which gives a more linear (and equal in all the channels) approach and therefore reduces color shifts).
So clipping "Soft Light" to "Linear Light" lightens the HIGH in a non-linear way (but because it has less color, that's not as much of a problem) and the "Linear Light" lightens underlying layers linearly.
Of course you could use "Linear Light" for all the dodge & burn alone to avoid luminosity shifts, but that'd result in extremely harsh changes and be nearly impossible to control.

Another idea would be to simply extract all the color from the separation and deal with it on its own as I had explained here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D2GZgUs9BQ
But I don't know, whether my English is good enough to go into all the technical details :-(.

Edit: Sorry, I explained "Overlay", not "Soft Light".

Last edited by Der_W; 08-16-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching