RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Wondering how this look is achieved

Old 08-15-2010, 10:59 AM

Wondering how this look is achieved

I've been trying to figure out how one of my favorite car photographers achieves this look. I've tried duplicating it with no success. It looks like there is sharpening and some desaturation and if you look through is other sets you'll see some almost look CGI but I know for a fact they are not and are actual locations as I ironically have photographed these areas in the past. I'm trying to learn pp techniques and came across this site through finding out about Calvin H. I plan on buying his DVD as soon as I save up enough money (lost my job last year and only was able to get a job recently).

ANyway I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. TIA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/notblan...2780/lightbox/

Michelle
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Re: Wondering how this look is achieved

Have you asked the photographer? I would not insult him by asking about his post-processing, however, since it is his photography that creates his stellar images. Post a comment on his images expressing your admiration of his work and desire to learn to do the same - perhaps you'll get an answer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 PM

It's been asked by others and he will not reveal anything. I've asked him a few questions too about flash photography and he never answered that either
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzen View Post
...I've asked him a few questions too about flash photography and he never answered that either
There are lots of folks on Flickr who love to share flash and lighting techniques and tips. Strobist.com has groups of people who share their attempts to improve their understanding of lighting concepts, equipment, setups, etc.

Here is a link to a Strobist on Flickr Boardreader page
that lists discussions on Flickr. Maybe one of those folks will have ideas about how the car guy does his work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2010, 06:29 PM

Tonemapping IMO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 02:38 AM

To me most of his photos look like they've been done with a bleach-bypass-like effect.

The basic idea is mixing a b&w version of an image with the colour, but having two versions to mix gives you a lot of options - such as sharpening the b&w while leaving the colour a little soft, and of course different blending modes and opacities.

I'd start out making a very slick b&w transfer using something like SilverEfex Pro (or just channel mixer and curves/levels), and experiment layering it with Overlay and maybe an opacity around 30-40% as a starting point. And maybe mix another copy of the b&w image with Normal blending to desaturate it a bit. You can get that high structure look (which looks similar to HDR) with Unsharp Mask. (One advantage of using channel mixer set to monochrome on an adjustment layer is you can experiment with the colour balance going into the b&w layer which gives you loads of control with shadows and highlights.) But the basic idea is to get good at creating that dramatic/arty b&w look and balancing it just right with the colour, so it sort of retains the feel of a b&w image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 AM

Thanks for all the replies. CJ Swartz I am on Flickr myself and right now am not searching out any flash help. What I was referring to was a question I had many months ago about which equipment to sell/keep etc. I actually posted my question on one of the groups I belong to after I didnt get a reply from Bland.

Swift2046 Thank you very much for you insight and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it and will give a try and all you recommended. I just started dabbling in channel mixes and such watching some of Calvin's tutorials. I try to follow even the one's in German although I cant understand but a few words of the language.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching