Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What are your ACR defaults?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:52 AM
Re: What are your ACR defaults?

Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Zeroing out ACR is kind of dumb (sorry). I think I know where this idea came from. Something about how ACR handles data with curves which is nonsense. You want to do as much heavy lifting in ACR or Lightroom, rendering the best possible data and image quality (desired color appearance) before you end up in Photoshop! ACR is a raw processor, it creates optimized RGB pixels using metadata edits. Being sloppy in rendering and trying to "fix" this in Photoshop is a waste of time and quality.

Capture (and optionally output) sharpening in LR or ACR is far more robust than what's possible with simply Photoshop sharpening routines and based on this idea:
I've tried to like ACR for a long time, but I always end up going back to capture one. With canon and nikon dslr files i've been able to get much more workable results than I've obtained from anything originating from a digital back. Have you had good results with anything from say a P30+ or newer? or maybe any of the hasselblad versions via their dng output option? Just wondering. I like how much faster it is. Capture one seems to try not to bog down anything else running on the system, but it can be way more time consuming.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 AM

Kind of adding on to my previous reply here...... I'm not a huge fan of zeroing ACR. I think before ACR with some of the older ones, Leaf Capture, Capture one, whatever that sinar software was called I can't remember, etc. it was pretty common to get the values to where it looked ok and wasn't losing detail. Processing software was pretty weak at the time, as was version 1 of ACR. I think that's where it really came from, people wanting to ensure they still had something workable once they got to photoshop. Anyway I never cared for zeroed results, but I'm wondering is it ok to make your own curve rather than using something like medium contrast? Also this is kind of aimed at Andrew again but what settings do you adjust primarily if you have a file that starts out pretty ugly at default settings in ACR? I'm thinking specifically of weird color shifts and flat midtones? Do you stick with the base value adjustments more or do some of it with the curves? I've found the curves to be seem more forgiving but I worry that they might mess it up so I've remained with capture one (partly) because of that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 PM

Curves would yeild better results because it allows for more fine tuning rather than just one slider.

I've tried Capture One and I really liked the layout and results of the software, the thing that killed it for me was how the latest version went about creating directories and files all over the place instead of having the cache centralized in one location. This was a deal breaker for me. Until they fix this I will be using ACR & Lightroom for RAW processing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2010, 11:47 PM

Capture One is by far the best...... When used correctly, it is unbeatable!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching