RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

b/w how can i emulate a red/orange/yellow filter?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:29 AM

Question b/w how can i emulate a red/orange/yellow filter?

Hi to all

to make black and white i use a gradient map or channel mixer

in the past , film photo , is was common use a red or orange or yellow filter to make black and white

can i emulate it?
how?

thanks in advance

cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2010, 03:57 AM

Re: b/w how can i emulate a red/orange/yellow filt

Create 2 Channel Mixer adjustment layers, for the upper layer click on "Monochrome" set the lower one to blending mode "Luminosity". In the presets drop down menu for the this adjustment layer you have a few preset options like "B&W with Blue Filter" or "B&W with Red Filter".
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 AM

Thumbs up Re: b/w how can i emulate a red/orange/yellow filt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBurg View Post
Create 2 Channel Mixer adjustment layers, for the upper layer click on "Monochrome" set the lower one to blending mode "Luminosity". In the presets drop down menu for the this adjustment layer you have a few preset options like "B&W with Blue Filter" or "B&W with Red Filter".

thanks a lot!!!

i used to add a hue saturation and a black and white gradient

your it's better!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 AM

For a similar effect you could try a solid colour layer, with say a red and set to the "Colour" blend mode, then create a Black & White adjustment layer above that and experiment with sliders and presets.

Or you could buy a roll of Kodak T-max and shoot it for real
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 AM

A fun way to do a B&W conversion is to use multiple layers of the B&W adjustment layer set to different blend modes and the final layer left on normal talk about control.

Basically see calvin's tutorial here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIZIKEgVDs0 setting the b&w layer first to luminosity then another to soft light add in levels and you would just add a final b&w adjustment layer on top pretty neat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmarsalis View Post
A fun way to do a B&W conversion is to use multiple layers of the B&W adjustment layer set to different blend modes and the final layer left on normal talk about control.

Basically see calvin's tutorial here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIZIKEgVDs0 setting the b&w layer first to luminosity then another to soft light add in levels and you would just add a final b&w adjustment layer on top pretty neat.
great video
but is not a video to make black & white

i bought some lynda video but they are not so good like the past version

is there a resource with video tutorials?

i can not watch RetouchPRO LIVE "not allowed in your area"
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM

Lol no it is not it shows what power the B&W adjustment layer can have on your image the final step to convert to B&W is add a B&W adjustment layer or channel mixer adjustment layer in monochrome in normal mode >.>.

Then you can still adjust the tones with the 3 layers underneath the b&w layer.

It really allows emulation of what adding yellow, green and red filters do when applied to shooting black and white with amazing control in my book.

Maybe this will make it clearer:

Quote:

The process of using a B&W adjustment layer in luminosity or soft light equates to changing the tonal values with the adding a filter. Its pretty cool when done well.

Filters for Black-and-White Film

The polarizers and graduated filters are used the same way for b/w.

Don't bother with the warming, cooling and color conversion filters, since there are no colors on your prints!

You do need to use colored filters when taking a b/w photo so that different colors in the scene come out as different levels of light and dark on your prints. Otherwise your prints will come out pretty gray and the skies will all be a washed out cloudless white.

The standard filter you are required to use on all outdoor photos is a yellow, also called a K2, Yellow 12 or Y48. It is mandatory because most b/w films see way too much blue and ultraviolet, and render these colors much brighter than they appear to our eyes. Without a filter the blue of the sky looks as bright as the white clouds! A yellow filter makes b/w photos look just about natural.

For a stronger effect use an orange (O56) filter, or a red (R60 or 25A) filter. Red will darken a sky even more! For a really scary dark sky use a red and a polarizer at the same time.

I often use a deep green (#58) filter. It lightens trees a little and brings out contrasts inside orange sandstone rocks in the American Southwest. It also makes the sky look natural.

As Ansel Adams points out in his books, unless you are photographing very brightly colored things like fruit or flowers, there is not much difference in the effect from one filter to another. Yes, he used over a dozen different ones for b/w, but no, there wasn't that much difference from one to another. There is a huge difference between using even a mild yellow filter and using no filter at all because all the filters (except blue which I never use) remove all the ultraviolet light to which b/w film is very sensitive and which is invisible to our eyes.

Since I print electronically today I don't even shoot B/W film for B/W prints. I shoot color film and convert in Photoshop using the Channel Mixer for the same reasons explained under Shooting B/W with Digital Cameras.
© 2009 Ken Rockwell.com

The basic is that adding the B&W adjustment in luminosity/softlight blend mode allows control of the tonal values in the image based on color and can emulate the same effect as adding a color filter....

Last edited by julianmarsalis; 08-25-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching