RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Attend this retouch class?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM

Attend this retouch class?

Hi,

Was looking for your opinion in taking this retouching workshop? I already have Natalie DVD and Gry Garness e-book and will have her DVD also.

This class claims to have a full retouch done in 20min without using blur technique.

http://www.crwmedia.com/attend_a_class.html check out her port.

"This glamour retouching class will focus on achieving smooth skin without blurring (we must have pores!), glamour skin "gleam", liquifying/body contouring, muscle definition, dodging and burning, glamour touches for eyes, hair, lashes, strategic sharpening, vignettes, color adjustment, contrast, brightening and strategic lighting and color (make your pictures POP!), background clean-up, object removal, hair wisps, tricks with layers and more. These techniques are the result of years of working and training with some of the best in the industry. The techniques render beautiful results with ease and speed and without sacrificing quality. This is a start to finish workflow that anyone can learn and immediately put to use." - http://www.crwmedia.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Patron

Re: Attend this retouch class?

Klam, you might want to check out this thread at RP. It's a long thread so you may want to read the 1st post then jump to the end and work your way backwards.
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...aglimbeni.html
The 20 min technique used in the crwmedia class is most likely the same or some very close variant.
FYI, there are other ways to blur skin in PS other than using the Blur filters. In fact if you perform a conventional dodge & burn on an area of skin and you make everthing in that area have the same luminosity, it will look like a blur.
All that being said, evry retoucher has his/her own way of adjusting color and making eyelashes, and adding lighting effects. So you may find the course useful. It's a question of how much you will pay and what your expectations are from the course to justify it.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Klam, you might want to check out this thread at RP. It's a long thread so you may want to read the 1st post then jump to the end and work your way backwards.
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...aglimbeni.html
The 20 min technique used in the crwmedia class is most likely the same or some very close variant.
FYI, there are other ways to blur skin in PS other than using the Blur filters. In fact if you perform a conventional dodge & burn on an area of skin and you make everthing in that area have the same luminosity, it will look like a blur.
All that being said, evry retoucher has his/her own way of adjusting color and making eyelashes, and adding lighting effects. So you may find the course useful. It's a question of how much you will pay and what your expectations are from the course to justify it.
Regards, Murray
I agree. It doesn't look like anything special. They're posting a somewhat striking photo at very low resolution, so you can't truly get a feel for the details. Even at that her leg looks rubbery and lacks any muscular shape. The other photos on that site aren't much better. I think you could learn better techniques just searching online, and I noticed Chris Tarantino is doing a beauty retouch webinar on saturday. He has far better finished work to back up what he does than anything shown on the site linked. Just an idea.. In 20 minutes there's only so detailed you can go, and just painting over everything doesn't look the same as going in precisely. Really bad hair is the worst. I wish they'd put together a webinar on hair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Patron

Klam, FYI, Natalie Buskila a.k.a. member Nienna1990 on DeviantArt.com has several hours worth of free video tutorial doing real time work on hair. You should check it out.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Klam, FYI, Natalie Buskila a.k.a. member Nienna1990 on DeviantArt.com has several hours worth of free video tutorial doing real time work on hair. You should check it out.
Regards, Murray
See that stuff looks way way better. I still think the tarantino webinar could be worthwhile too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
See that stuff looks way way better. I still think the tarantino webinar could be worthwhile too.
There's the entire RetouchPro library on youtube, with presentations by the likes of Chris Tarantino, Amy Dresser, Gry Garness, Carrie Beene, et al. It is a phenomenal high-end learning opportunity at incredibly reasonable prices.

However, none of them specialize in 20 minute retouches. You have to pay extra to learn to blur skin and conceal detail with blocked up shadows.

I'm just being rude for fun. I'd love to know her technique for speedy retouches too. The real point I'm making is that there are different sources and techniques for differing levels of quality and budget. Know your market and choose accordingly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 PM

I just took a look at the link, this edits are real bad, this is not high-end at all, thy might be OK for some Cheesy magazine. Having said that, even with this bad edit, no way it could be done in just 20 minutes, may be but I doubt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Thanks for your responses. I decided to pass on this class.

I'll have to give the webinars here a try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 11:59 AM

Smile Re: Attend this retouch class?

Hi guys! Saw this post and just decided to drop a line. The techniques are designed to be run through in 20 minutes or less and are all based on taking a step back and simplifying your workflow. I realize this is opposite of how most of us (myself included) have been trained. The thing is most working photographer's don't have time to spend hours on retouching a few images and quite honestly don't have the need to. The quality rendered is on par with the industry standard in my experience... I have done well in the few years I have been independent. I employ the same techniques for national publications as I do for portraits, have a client list I am very pleased with and a waiting list around the US and Canada of people who have heard good things about the class. If you are thinking about attending first see if my style is suitable to your taste and needs, then decide if it is something you would like to be able to achieve in 20 minutes or less. If your answer is yes to both questions the class is for you I am always happy to answer questions or help in any way so don't hesitate to reach out if I can do anything for you. Have a great one! Christine Wolfe / Christine@CRWmedia.com
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching