RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Generating Skin with Frequency Separation

Old 08-29-2010, 09:21 AM

Generating Skin with Frequency Separation

Thats my first Thread here because i need a litte help.

I have found a littel trick that i used mostly for quick and dirty retouching and very bad skin.... and sometimes it works very fine and saves a lot of time...

when there is a good skin part i copied that part of the HF Layer to the Clippboard...
than New Layer on normal clipped with the HF layer...than I opend the Pattern Maker...use Clippboard as sample and generate a Pattern with Sample Detail around 10-20 ...

Than i put a black mask and paint ...

The Problem is that often the generated Skin is too soft for my taste...and looks blurred .
has anybody out there a little advice..
and puhhh I know my english :-))
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Re: Generating Skin with Frequency Seperation

Hi ,

I needed to recreate skin as I'm in the middle of restoring an old photo. I came across this tutorial and it worked really well. might be worth having a look at it : ) Good Luck

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/phot...-tutorial.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 AM

Try clipping curve adjustment layer to your newly created layer. Generally can increase the sharpness by varying your curve make sure you anchor a point at 128x128 or you will change your 50% grey and lighten or darken the image overall.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 AM

Are you by chance painting it in with a soft brush? This will invariably blur the sampled texture.

If not that, can you share a layered PSD sample (just a small crop even).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmarsalis View Post
Try clipping curve adjustment layer to your newly created layer. Generally can increase the sharpness by varying your curve make sure you anchor a point at 128x128 or you will change your 50% grey and lighten or darken the image overall.
This works, but one should know that one needs points at both 127,127 and at 128,128 in order to prevent overall shifts (the unfortunate reality of Adobe not yet implementing floating-point curves). If superfund control of light / dark sharpening isn't needed, a Brightness / Contrast layer in Legacy mode can accomplish the enhancement without any global effects.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerser View Post
This works, but one should know that one needs points at both 127,127 and at 128,128 in order to prevent overall shifts
Why so?
Working in 8Bit we have 2^8 = 256 tones per channel.
256/2 = 128, which is neutral gray.

You might think, that because 255 is white, it would be 255/2 = 127.5 (now your idea would make sense to me), but you're forgetting about the first value being 0 (which brings one more tone into play).

Or did I misunderstand you completely?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Why so?
Working in 8Bit we have 2^8 = 256 tones per channel.
256/2 = 128, which is neutral gray.

You might think, that because 255 is white, it would be 255/2 = 127.5 (now your idea would make sense to me), but you're forgetting about the first value being 0 (which brings one more tone into play).

Or did I misunderstand you completely?
Actually if we had only 255 levels this would be better than having 256 (for this purpose only), as we need a value which PS can treat as being 'neutral'. We do, in fact, want a 127.5 so as not to do anything in those areas which have no 'HF' data. That's actually why PS's 16bpc mode is really 15bit + 1 level (so that there is a true neutral value).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Thank you all

@ Nomad Jess
One of the first Books i read about Photoshop was Katrin Eismanns first Edition of retouching & restauration and there she explained this burred Nois and embossing technik..and i used it sometimes before I knew the freq. sep Thing...and of course i tried it on the Hf Layer...but for me it looks too fake :-))

I tried The clip curve technik The tip with two Points is cool.thanks for that...and i tried to do the seperation with with a lower scale than 2 that gives allso a bit more sharping....

Has somebody may be an Idea to avoid the Pattern Maker?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 PM

I wouldn't worry about 128 being off. It won't shift the values on overlay, linear light, softlight, etc. 50% grey used for the neutral fill when creating one of these layers as a blank layer is set at 128. Create as many of these layers as you like with the 128,128,128 fill on an 8 bit image, set them to a group and place color samplers on various points of the image. These samplers won't change when you click the group on and off, or if you duplicate the document and merge one while deleting the group from the other. Anyway it was just to prove that regardless of if it's a perfect middle grey it works in this kind of blending mode, and yeah the 0 does make it irritating.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
I wouldn't worry about 128 being off. It won't shift the values on overlay, linear light, softlight, etc. 50% grey used for the neutral fill when creating one of these layers as a blank layer is set at 128. Create as many of these layers as you like with the 128,128,128 fill on an 8 bit image, set them to a group and place color samplers on various points of the image. These samplers won't change when you click the group on and off, or if you duplicate the document and merge one while deleting the group from the other. Anyway it was just to prove that regardless of if it's a perfect middle grey it works in this kind of blending mode, and yeah the 0 does make it irritating.
True for 8bpc images (rounding 'protection'); not so for 16bpc images, where the image will suffer gradual creep one direction or the other. My caution was targeted towards the latter category, as I'd understood Der W's comments to be in regard to the Curves dialog's resolution -- if I was wrong there, please disregard with my apologies.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching