RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How To Force Color Harmony in photograph

Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 AM

How To Force Color Harmony in photograph

I've been going over a lot of color theory lately, and have been trying to experiment with making my photographs have a color harmony in its visual palette. What i'd ideally like is to keep the color intensity/brightness the same (or "exposure") but I'd like to clamp the saturation.

For example,

http://calikartel.com/wp-content/upl...uspiggott2.jpg

http://calikartel.com/wp-content/upl...nsson_03_1.jpg

Any ideas on how that stuff is processed?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 AM

Re: How To Force Color Harmony in photograph

In the first image its basically a matter of creating masks for each coloured item in the image, then adjusting the hue and saturation of each item so they match or are very close in colour.

Note how the windows are the same colour as the sky and yet the don't directly reflect that part of the sky? The sky and windows have had their colour changed to match the colour of the garment, then complimentary colours are used.

In the second image this has more to do with styling and preparation before shooting any images, clothing colour is kept similar and very low key, and chosen to compliment the colouring in the location.

Both images have had a colour overlay/haze added as a finished look, since when was the sky a washed out yellow?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 03:17 PM

I think you're right about the first one. That's a good point about checking out the sky vs. the window color.

As for the second one, i disagree. I think the post is executed extremely well because it pulls people to thinking the tonality of the outfits match the surroundings. I'm 90% sure that dress is pure white or off white at the most.

How do they get all the colors in the image to have the same "lightness/saturation"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Yes the lighter parts of the dress were white, and so was the sky in background, and the black coat was also black.

If you have shot a similar image, try creating a "Solid Colour" layer set to a blending mode of "Screen", choose a nice light yellow colour then lower the opacity of the layer. You could also use a Solid Colour layer or Gradient Map layer set to a blending mode of "Exclusion" and lower the opacity to 10-40%, this will be more of a split tone.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching