RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin not so nice, advice please!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 AM

Skin not so nice, advice please!

Hi everybody.
This is my second post here in the forum.. im quite new here, so im not sure if this is the place to post this. so, if it´s not, sorry!!!

I am working on this photo where I am trying to get rid of the hair in front of her face but now i feel the skin is weird...
I would apreciate some comments on how to proceed with this photo or anything that could help me improve it.

here i leave a before and after:

http://www.gustavocano.com.ar/retoque/solret.html

this is a crop at 100% of the image.

Thank You!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM

Re: Skin not so nice, advice please!

Hi maybrick. You indeed cloned out the hair nicely.
At this point I believe healing using Frequency Seperation tecnique (editing both high and low frequency layers) is what you looking for. It will help you make the color and texture transitions of the cheek and the rest of the face much more even.

This is kinda complicated if you are a beginner though (you can check out the tutorials in this site) but it'll produce the best result imo.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Nod yes frequency separation is amazing at fixing this sort of problem in my work I start with frequency separation for all my cloning and healing brush work now not having to worry about color while healing or texture while fixing color is pure <3....

The great things is people have created great actions to create the separations and make using it trivial just have to remember to change your tools to current layer or current layer and below.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...eparation.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM

THank you both for your help
I´m not a beginner in PS but this techniques of frequency separation and some other stuff that makes the difference between an amateur and a pro are kind of new to me, so I´m still in the way to figuring out what should i use for each effect i´m looking for.
Let´s see what happens hehe

thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Patron

Maybrick, as Jon & Julian have pointed out, frequency separation is probably the best way to go here. You can even out the color and reduce the saturation on the Low Frequency layer (samples attached below) and then heal over skin imperfections on the high frequency layer.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maybrick Skin MM.jpg (182.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Maybrick Skin MM2.jpg (167.1 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM

Ok no one is mentioning this so I'm going to help here. I see the lightening and darkening of the shadows here. Your lightening of the cheek left the color kind of grey relative to the rest, and some of your evening out flattens features of the face. You should examine where you've cloned things. There are several trails from cloning. On shadows/highlights that you've painted up/down in some cases you've reversed the ones that border each other to a degree. Not all of these need to go and especially not to this degree as they provide the shape. The hair comping needs some work too as it shows along the edges of it. If you have this as a raw, I would reprocess with the exposure taken down so that your highlights aren't blowing out and causing difficult shifts to deal with. I'd potentially use a second processed image with a slightly higher exposure (slightly) to work back in shadow detail. The color shifts do need to be addressed but you should probably consider which shadows/highlights you really want to change. Back up your computer chair a little bit and examine the before/after side by side to see what I mean. 3-5 feet back should probably do it. Hope this helps. I think the overexposed highlights are definitely throwing you off though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Why did you give her a recessive chin? Her natural chin is more attractive in the original image before you liquified. Also her nose has lost realistic anatomical definition.

Last edited by Caravaggio; 08-30-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching