RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Porcelain doll technique.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Porcelain doll technique.

Hi, I really like the photo in the link below and was wondering how to emulate the technique used by the photographer in Photoshop.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

http://www.photoradar.com/photograph...porcelain-doll
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Patron

Re: Porcelain doll technique.

There are many ways to achieve this look. There are filters, but they don't often produce the result you want.
One method I use is:
- A copy of the image with the skin heavily blurred
- A channel mixer adj layer above that set to monochrome and opacity backed off to keep the amount of color I want
- Another channel mixer adj layer above that set to screen with opacity adjusted to brighten / make the image high key
- A third channel mixer adj layer set to soft light and opacity adjusted to adjust the contrast
- A solid white layer on top of the stack with opaity adjusted way back with just enough to give the image a hazy milky white coating.
All of those layers allow you to make infinite adjustments to fine tune the effect. You can also use each layers' mask to selectively apply the effect only to crtain elements.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Porcelain.jpg (159.7 KB, 217 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2010, 10:22 AM

Natalia has a good video on if floating around somewhere.

I can't say I've got a lot of experience doing it myself, but what seems to be key in selling the look is not in getting the skin whitish, (that's fairly easy by desaturating and lightening - and you can always start with a red channel mask to select the skin if need be) but in providing just enough color to the skin that it isn't gray, and the right balance of color between the skin, lips, eyes, clothing background etc.

IOW, getting the skin whitish is just half the battle of getting there. The subtleties of color throughout is what sells the look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 AM

I would go with a basic skin smoothing without blur and apply the following for the skin color: White Skin by Natalia Taffarel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A75HTPz0xEw
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2010, 01:09 PM

I like Der W's method in this thread
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...n-retouch.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the tips I'm going to give them a try.

Flashtones, what is meant when you say "you can always start with a red channel mask to select the skin if need be" Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 PM

My very first attempt using a mixture of the methods mentioned above.

It was a bad photo to start with so I wasn't expecting great results, it literally was the first pic I grabbed off my memory card that had a face on it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7141845_n.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Patron

Jay, good job, looks like you have found a recipe. The only thing I might do is smooth the skin a little or clone over the blemishes and perhaps sharpen the eyes, eyelids and eyelashes.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaydreamJay Porcelain2 MM.jpg (103.8 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaydreamJay View Post
Thanks for the tips I'm going to give them a try.

Flashtones, what is meant when you say "you can always start with a red channel mask to select the skin if need be" Thanks.
Of the three channels (RGB) Caucasian skin is typically held primarily on the red channel, so one "down and dirty" way of creating a selection to somewhat isolate the skin (or mask on an adjustment layer to do the same) is to load the red channel as a selection before making your adjustment, or to make a mask for an adjustment layer targeted toward the skin.

For example, say you have a Caucasian person with dark hair wearing blue clothes against a green background. If you were to look at the red channel you'd see the skin as the lightest part of that channel. In selections and masks "black conceals, white reveals" so if you were to make an adjustment through that red channel selection/mask it would affect primarily the skin relative to the hair, clothes and background.

Play around. Go to your channels pallet and CMD+Click on the red channel to make a selection from it. Now go back to your layers pallet. Create a new adjustment layer (HSL, Channel Mixer, etc) and the red channel will automatically be loaded as a mask to that adj layer. Now do your layer adjustments and you'll see it affects the lighter portions of that mask/channel greater than the darker.

How effective it is at isolating tones to the skin depends on how many other similar colors and tones there are in your image. For instance, in the image you did, the hair lips and eye whites would also be light, and thus affected. It's just a starting point, and often a Color Range selection makes a better selection. But I find using the keyboard shortcut to quickly load the red channel as a selection (OPT+CMD+3) and applying it to a layer mask is a quick way to get a look at an effect targeted to the skin, to see if I even like it, before investing heavily in creating the perfect mask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching