RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Please help with this picture :(

Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 AM

Re: Please help with this picture :(

EDIT: I uploaded a bunch of similar photos, here's the link:
http://img704.imageshack.us/g/298941...767315921.jpg/

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
Because its like putting an ad on craigslist that you are looking for a landscaper who will work for free. you get a bunch of people who respond and show up at your house and you say "heres my yard, do your thing" you leave to go to work, come back home 8 hours later when they're done and your front lawn has uprooted shrubs, a bunch of hand dug holes, your grass is gone and is replaced with fake astroturf from home depot and theres an array of christmas lights stapled to your house, a giant pink gazing ball near the sidewalk, a flock of fake plastic flamingos shoved in the ground and 15 lawn gnome statues lined up across the property lol
Yeah, I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4personnen View Post
no! not the gnooooooomes!

well back to the OP...
what do you want to achieve exactly, what kind of software do you own and what is your level, because at some point you'll end up with "RTFM", which is certainly the right thing to do since the idea of a manual appeared in a genius' mind. To me this image looked like a print from a photographer which is the thing I'm a bit reluctant to do (but I didn't respect the presumption that you are innocent ).

Apart from that, and said that you'll answer the questions I asked and that you'll be prepared to work by yourself and show your results from time to time, I assume everyone around here will be happy to help.

PS: Post a larger photo on a site such as Flickr or photobucket or whatever you fancy, that we can see what can be done.
Well, what I wanted is the picture to be sharpened and kind of restore it. It's a picture of my friend who wanted me to "fix" and improve it 'cause it was just a scan of a photo.

At the moment, I have the CS5 Extended Edition but my skills aren't as good. I'm still learning. I've been watching video tutorials floating around the internet.

I hope that answers your questions @_@ If not, let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by amica999 View Post
On which pic?
On the picture I posted.

EDIT: I uploaded a bunch of similar photos, here's the link:
http://img704.imageshack.us/g/298941...767315921.jpg/
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 05:04 AM

Hi!
You can start with the color correction. You can play with curves but I think it's a bit tricky for a beginning.
There is a wonderful tool to understand how color works in PS it's "variables" under "image". It's a command that makes laugh any professional, but I use it all the time when I have to teach a complete newbie in photography (it applies to understand even how to shoot in color as well). You will understand how color opposites work together. Have a look in the manual for this function and test on your image until you get the result. Once you understand the concept, try to achieve the same results with curves or levels (for you can control what you are doing).

Then for sharpening, You have to think about what and why to sharpen....There is a scanner issue in this image? try "smart sharpen" filter and playing with "remove lens/gaussian blur" options (again, refer to the manual). Try to adjust the contrast 1st: because sometimes when the image is too soft, some see "blur" when others see "flat". Print your image, then and only then, you will be able to see if it needs sharpening. Then you may think that the key features of the image don't stand up from the rest? You'll have to sharpen with a mask to alter only these features and not the rest and sometimes, not sharpen too much but blur the background. Remember sharpening is a wild horse, It must be tamed softly and gently.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 AM

Thumbs up Re: Please help with this picture :(

Quote:
Hi!
You can start with the color correction. You can play with curves but I think it's a bit tricky for a beginning.
There is a wonderful tool to understand how color works in PS it's "variables" under "image". It's a command that makes laugh any professional, but I use it all the time when I have to teach a complete newbie in photography (it applies to understand even how to shoot in color as well). You will understand how color opposites work together. Have a look in the manual for this function and test on your image until you get the result. Once you understand the concept, try to achieve the same results with curves or levels (for you can control what you are doing).

Then for sharpening, You have to think about what and why to sharpen....There is a scanner issue in this image? try "smart sharpen" filter and playing with "remove lens/gaussian blur" options (again, refer to the manual). Try to adjust the contrast 1st: because sometimes when the image is too soft, some see "blur" when others see "flat". Print your image, then and only then, you will be able to see if it needs sharpening. Then you may think that the key features of the image don't stand up from the rest? You'll have to sharpen with a mask to alter only these features and not the rest and sometimes, not sharpen too much but blur the background. Remember sharpening is a wild horse, It must be tamed softly and gently.
Thank you for the pointers. That will surely help a lot! I'm trying them out right now

EDIT: I'm not sure if that's supposed to be variations instead of variables (correct me if I'm wrong) but it sure made the picture more lively with a few tinkering of the settings.

Last edited by xr4v3nx; 09-20-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 03:31 AM

yep, variations, of course...my mistake. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
yep, variations, of course...my mistake. :-)
It's okay :P
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching