RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Removal of small facial hairs

Old 09-15-2010, 12:42 PM

Removal of small facial hairs

I'm having a bit of a struggle with the removal of small hairs when it comes to faces, most often when the model is blond but the problem is pretty universal. I'll throw in a picture so you'll understand exactly what I'm talking about.

http://www.eightbit.se/ftp/2.jpg

Does anyone on here have a good technique to share or tutorial to link to? Main focus is to still preserve texture but remove those annoying little hairs.

As a thank you I might just throw in a few Hasselblad H3D-39 images to use as stock for retouching if that would be of interest.

(I hope there wasn't a thread like this already, my searching skills are pretty low it seems.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2010, 12:54 PM

Re: Removal of small facial hairs

I'd use frequency separation http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098 but instead of using a Gaussian blur, you might want to create a low layer with the "Filter"-"Noise"-"Dust & Scratches". Put the threshold at 0 first and raise the radius until every hair disappears. Now raise the threshold just before the hair begins to reappear.
Next separate your image using "Apply Image" and this layer as source.
Working on the newly created layer with the healing brush (maybe in "Darken" mode? ; sample should be set to "Current layer") might give you faster and better results, than working with standard approaches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 PM

I'll be sure to give it a try, thanks for taking the time!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 PM

You're welcome :-).
If you have any questions feel free to ask (or maybe this video might help you for the start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D2GZgUs9BQ).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Patron

Eightbit, welcome to RetouchPro!
Unfortunately these fine hairs are the highest frequency element in this image and are very close in radius to the detail, making them difficult to eliminate without destroying other detail.
What will work is to frequency separate the image and then on the high freq layer, use the Clone Stamp in Darken blend mode, or the Spot Healing brush with Content Aware option checked or combination of those. The healing brush can also be used. You can work much faster and with better results than attempting to burn the hair on a D&B layer. But you will still need a fair amount of time.
If you do not have the time you will need to resoty to one of the blur methods like a Degrunge layer or one of the filters. This will wipe out a lot of the good detail / texture in the skin.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 AM

@ mistermonday

Thank you kindly, I've been lurking around here for a while but never gotten around to making any posts.

What you are saying is exactly what I noticed when trying. I've mainly been using frequency separating as a way to sharpen images so far but I'm starting to see how many other uses it has.

I will give your advice a go once this lecture is done, anti-retouch art photographer.

Thank you!

Regards
Robert
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 AM

I just performed an edit removing fine, white hairs, from a female face using Der_W's method of incorporating Dust & Scratches on the blur layer instead of the normal Gaussian Blur. I used both the Healing Brush and Clone Stamp tool and got very good results. The Darken Blend mode did not work well however. Normal mode worked the best. I will try it on other images to see if I can replicate this effect. What do you think, Murray?

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2010, 10:47 AM

There's lovely fine detail worth preserving in the upper part pf the image, but down where the brush is is dense with hair and out of focus. There will be little detail there to preserve. I'd do a mix of techniques. Separation & clone as per mistermonday for the details, and some form of blur and perhaps light detail retention/replacement in the thicket down by the brush.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Patron

I do not find any difference between the Dust & Scratches (per Jonas' technique) and regular frequency separation other than the radii are different.
In both methods you still need to treat the hair manually on the HF layer.
I found that the Clone Stamp, Healing Brush, and Spot Healing Brush with Content Aware all worked. You can speed up the process by starting with the Stamp Till in Darken mode to clean up one area. Once you have that area clear of hair you can switch to the Healing brush and use that cleaned area as a sample point then you can go much faster with the healing brush because you can get away with little or no resampling.
Sample attached.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eightbit Hair MM.jpg (175.1 KB, 120 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching