RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

One of the toughest skin job so far..

Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM

One of the toughest skin job so far..

First post, should be ashamed I know. But any way this is still a work in progress, the first four hours were though.
As an Art Director I had the brilliant idea of having my model painted white for this shoot. What a nightmare for postproduction this is..haha. The make-up artist airbrushed white powder on the model, somehow that powder really accentuated all the facial flaws on the model. Facial hair, rough skin, I mean.. I saw Chris' webinar on rough skin, but that model was perfect compared to this on, haha. Help me Chris!!
Any ideas and improvements would be much appriciated.

Thanks,

Remco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kandinskicompre01.jpg (92.9 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg KandinskiCompsre2.jpg (98.8 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by Tyjeco; 09-17-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 12:17 AM

Re: One of the toughest skin job so far..

This is really well done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyjeco View Post
The make-up artist airbrushed white powder on the model, somehow that powder really accentuated all the facial flaws on the model. Facial hair, rough skin, I mean..
Remco - it's the airbrushing that did it - if they'd applied a water based white with a sponge it wouldn't have been so bad...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Yeah, that's why you hire professionals for huh ;-) Well thanks for the advice, It will probably take some time before I do such a shoot again though
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 04:52 PM

Tough work indeed, I wouldn't try it myself at least by now. I guess it won't be the same if you leave the white makeup to do it digitaly, but you might be interested in this simple process on a short tutorial by Natalia (Godmother) http://www.nataliataffarel.com/NRTWhite.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's why you hire professionals for huh ;-) Well thanks for the advice, It will probably take some time before I do such a shoot again though
Lol - I guess it's a bit like ringflash, tends to only be wielded at the pro'ish end of the market and done well it can add to the picture, done not so well and it detracts.

The problem with airbrush is it'll stick to every fine hair etc. - not so bad when it's a dark/mid tone colour but when it's white it starts to look like you've been atacked with a 'plush' machine...my experience of this is not from doing makeup but from re-spraying parts of my motorbike ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 05:15 PM

Yes I've seen that before I did the shoot, but you get a better feel when the model is actually white, especially for the model herself. I used another picture from this shoot (see attachment, though it's not the final yet, head needs to be fixed, remove some shadows etc..) and I used techniques similar to Nathalia's because you get away with it from a larger distance. But this one they want for the cover of a dutch nail magazine, so more details.. needed. Ah well..another lesson learned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remc03.jpg (99.3 KB, 150 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
and I used techniques similar to Nathalia's because you get away with it from a larger distance. But this one they want for the cover of a dutch nail magazine, so more details.. needed. Ah well..another lesson learned.
Well, this comment is also a lesson for me. "larger distance" cool... Your work is very professional. Congrats.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
First post, should be ashamed I know. But any way this is still a work in progress, the first four hours were though.
As an Art Director I had the brilliant idea of having my model painted white for this shoot. What a nightmare for postproduction this is..haha. The make-up artist airbrushed white powder on the model, somehow that powder really accentuated all the facial flaws on the model. Facial hair, rough skin, I mean.. I saw Chris' webinar on rough skin, but that model was perfect compared to this on, haha. Help me Chris!!
Any ideas and improvements would be much appriciated.

Thanks,

Remco
the original shot is quite horrific, how did it take to retouch?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 12:31 PM

I know... On the close-up the only thing that seemed to really work was splitting the highs and lows so I can could clone the texture without having to worry about saturation, highlights and shadows etc.. the only tool that did the job for that technique was the regular stamp tool. Of course lots of adjustment layers.

On the 2nd image I could get away with with old fashion median filter and the history tool (a bit of dodging and burning with softness ;-)) and again loads of adjustement filters. I did the whitening mainly in RAW.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching