RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

image workflow

Old 09-19-2010, 02:22 PM

image workflow

I seem to spend a good amount of time editing but I'm not completely happy with the results.

What is a good basic workflow to start with of course given that the images are properly exposed. I do all the overall corrections first then I concentrate on the details. My biggest challenge seems to be getting the correct color balance.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 04:42 PM

Re: image workflow

What program do u use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 PM

I've been using photoshop CS2
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 AM

May sound strange but, everytimes I have a picture to work on, I think about all the masks and selections I will have to make for it (eg Background, eyes etc...) Because this is quite a tedious work, and I think it worth doing it first, and also because you will have to work with a great magnification, you will be able to see the discrepancies of tones, textures etc...It's a stage of both working and watching. And then because you will probably use calculations and channels to make your mask, you will "discover" new masks to make (playing with the blending modes) one mask leading to the next one...maybe before making the very first color correction you will have 3 or 4 masks ready to work on, and a easier path to follow then. It's not really a work flow, it's a routine that works for me...

PS: then comes the primary overall color adjustment, the cloning painting, patching, then the noise/blur/texture, then the D&B, then the targeted color and lighting adjustement then the sharpening. But it can vary slightly...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give it a try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsojunkie View Post
I've been using photoshop CS2

Ok, I'm not good at color balance and adjustment layers either, I'm just learning, that's why I use Camera Raw which is very user friendly. I play around with it and when I get the color balance I like, I save the settings. At least for me is an easier way to balance colors. And the good thing of working in Camera Raw, it is non destructive. Hope this help a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 PM

I've shooting jpg because I learned how to make adjustments with layers first and I haven't used ACR that much but it seems like shooting raw is the way to go. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 03:02 AM

You can adjust Jpg in Raw in newer version of Photoshop, (mine is cs4 and it can be done). Pretty useful, I must say.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4personnen View Post
May sound strange but, everytimes I have a picture to work on, I think about all the masks and selections I will have to make for it (eg Background, eyes etc...) Because this is quite a tedious work, and I think it worth doing it first, and also because you will have to work with a great magnification, you will be able to see the discrepancies of tones, textures etc...It's a stage of both working and watching. And then because you will probably use calculations and channels to make your mask, you will "discover" new masks to make (playing with the blending modes) one mask leading to the next one...maybe before making the very first color correction you will have 3 or 4 masks ready to work on, and a easier path to follow then. It's not really a work flow, it's a routine that works for me...

PS: then comes the primary overall color adjustment, the cloning painting, patching, then the noise/blur/texture, then the D&B, then the targeted color and lighting adjustement then the sharpening. But it can vary slightly...
I've never thought of it like that. Sound advice
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsojunkie View Post
I seem to spend a good amount of time editing but I'm not completely happy with the results.

What is a good basic workflow to start with of course given that the images are properly exposed. I do all the overall corrections first then I concentrate on the details. My biggest challenge seems to be getting the correct color balance.

Thanks in advance

u should watch amy dresser works (saw her in a webinar) the color corrections part was very interesting , she selects small areas et correct them with curves or hue/sat , multiple selections to obtain a very even skin tone. very effective system
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching