RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get better skin color in this photo ?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Patron

Re: How to get better skin color in this photo ?

I think that Juergen is hinting that there are other methods to accomplish the goal and indeed there are.
- A quick selection of the hands and addition of a Hue/Sat adj layer will get you there just by increasing the Saturation slider to approx 25%. It is quite fast.
- A quick selection of the hands and jumped to a new layer will allow you to do Image>Adjust>Match Color and instantly match the hands to the color of the face or forehead.
- Select the hands and add a Selective Color Adjustment layer, choose the Red Channel (by default) and move the yellow and magenta sliders to the right.
As Ray pointed out there are many ways to do the same thing in PS.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 AM

Thank you guys for being so supportive. Thanks ray 12 for making the video, can you please send it to my email so that I can keep it is a reference ?

Jurgen, that's some nice skin color in the photo, would you care to elaborate ? Maybe you could also send me a full rez file to my email ?

And Murray thanks again for your advice. I like the LAB method and I think I'm going to implent it in my workflow.

Thanks again and regards, Ljupco
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Buso 23,

I dont know your e-mail address. I have enabled a download link below the video clip so you can download it to your desktop.

Ray12
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanks Ray, I'll download it immediately. Regards, Ljupco
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Patron

All I did was to copy the layer and use multiply as the blending mode. The white background seemed to wash out the foreground some.

To lighten the tone all you need to do is to decrease the opacity of the multiply layer to taste
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Multiply.jpg (192.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by philbach; 09-23-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 AM

Since I am still struggling with the more sophisticated techniques of Photoshop CS4, I went the 'easy' way and used Photoshop Elements (v.7).

PSE has an Adjust Color for Skin Tone functionality, which I let default set the entire image. In a second step I very roughly selected the hands and applied it again to that selection. The tool has three sliders, Tan, Blush and Temperature. In the version I posted I left the former two at their defaults and may have played a little with the latter (I don't remember for sure.)

I did not keep the full resolution file from yesterday, but I just now redid it. It is slightly different. I think I like it better. You can download it from here.

Juergen

Last edited by Juergen D; 09-23-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen D View Post
Since I am still struggling with the more sophisticated techniques of Photoshop CS4, I went the 'easy' way and used Photoshop Elements (v.7).

PSE has an Adjust Color for Skin Tone functionality, which I let default set the entire image. In a second step I very roughly selected the hands and applied it again to that selection. The tool has three sliders, Tan, Blush and Temperature. In the version I posted I left the former two at their defaults and may have played a little with the latter (I don't remember for sure.)

I did not keep the full resolution file from yesterday, but I just now redid it. It is slightly different. I think I like it better. You can download it from here:
http://cid-bc15b5d0fa6d77c1.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/RetouchPRO/1017221699^_U4zjp-O^_e.jpg

Juergen
No disrespect but the face and hands are not matched. The face is more orangey.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2010, 02:55 PM

I was not trying for a perfect match, but you are absolutely right, there is too much red in the face. That's why I liked my newer version better (see link above.)

Juergen
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Hello
I tried a littele different approach:

First check the chanels..and you see that there is always no or very little Texture in the red, the green is in Portrraits allways the best and the Blue is often to dark and contrasty.
The best way to solve the Problem is to blend the green in the red in Darken mode

duplicate the Background Layer choose Image/ ApplyImage then choos the Green from the Backgroundlayer and set the mode to darken...the Pic looks funny :-) I hope his Skincolor has nothing to do with his playing :-)))

set the Layer to Luminance and that retains the original color.

ok, thats the first step.

reduce to background switch to lab and duplicate the Background Layer and set the Mode to multiply.
And here comes a little refinement..Layermask filld with the L Chanel and blurr the Mask round about 20-30 pix...that would do the Job...

lg.
gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1017221699_img_3539-copy-1.jpg (90.2 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching