RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Recolor Sweater

Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 PM

Recolor Sweater

Hi.

I have an image of a woman wearing a pink sweater. She has a white shirt underneath the sweater. The white material shows through the small holes in the sweater and is very distracting.

Is there any way that I can color the white shirt the same color as the pink sweater? How?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Patron

Re: Recolor Sweater

Brian, Welcome to RetouchPro! It would be very helpful if you could attach the image or part of the image showing the sweater. There are many ways to color the shirt but the best way for your image will depend on a number of factors in the image.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2010, 10:41 PM

Murray, thank you for the welcome.

An image is attached. Hopefully I did it correctly and it is large enough to be of help.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sweater.jpg (76.2 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Patron

Brian, a very effectiev way to paint over the white would be to perform Frequency Separation choosing your radius very carefully. For the resolution and size of the sample you attached, a low radius of 1.5 worked well. Once you separate the image you can add a blank layer above the Low Frequency layer and paint on it in a few seconds. You can leave a mixture of dark and light pink painting in Normal mode, or you can paint with your brush in Darken mode to get rid of all of the dark shaded pink to make the color uniform, or you can play around with the blend modes to create other effects or change the shade of pink overall.
If you are unfamiliar with the process of Frequency Separation you can check out the thread on ModelMayhem here. There are also a number of threads on Freq Sep here at RetouchPro if you click the forum search button.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BPatrick sweater Freq Sep + Normal.jpg (129.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg BPatrick sweater Freq Sep Smooth.jpg (128.1 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM

Murray,
thank you very much for taking the time to help me on this.

I was unfamiliar with this technique, but thanks to your help, it worked perfectly!

I will have to investigate this even more to see what else it can do for me.

Thanks again for your help and have a good week!

Brian
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Patron

Brian, you are welcome. I know that the MM thread is very long and tedious to work past all of the non pertinent responses, but you will find other good uses for the technique. There are some threads here at RP which are more concise and to the point. You could just try a search on frequency separation or just on the word frequency.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2010, 09:07 AM

Will do, Murray.

Thanks, again.

Brian
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 AM

Murray,

When you chose your radius, did you use the High Pass selection technique or the blur technique in deciding the radius? And for the radius selection technique you chose, were you looking at the pink fabric or the white to decide on the detail? Am I being clear in my questions?

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Patron

K, that is a good question. Firstly I did not use the Blu or Degrunge technique for this type of problem. The goal was to maintain as much texture as possible while trying to color over the whites.
You can tell by examining the image that the texture is small in radius and that the white will show up at a radius which is not much higher, so you don't have a large range to play with. For these situations where you need accuracy I find that previewing with Gaussian Blur is not accurate enough. So I preview by doing Filter>Other>High Pass. First drag the Radius up high to about 30-40 and you will see the type of halos that you want to avoid. Then go back to R=0 and begin to increase it. You may be tempted to stop at 0.8 or 1.0 where you will notice that there is no sign of the white areas, however, at that point your seams, stitches, and lines in the material tends to be weak. As you increase you start to see the halos appear certainly prominently by R=3. Backing down, 1.5 seemed to be a good compromise. You might decide that a number slightly higher or lower is more pleasing to use. It is probably to err on the low side because the priority is to get rid of the white. Afterward if you find that the texture is a little weak, you can duplicate the HF layer, leave the blend mode in LinLight or change it to Overlay, or Soft Light and you will effectively sharpen the texture without bringing back any white since you filtered it out at a low R.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2010, 11:10 AM

Hi Brian. Another possible (very quick) solution. Select the green channel. Filter > Blur > Average. Done. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4Brian.jpg (51.1 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching