RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dodge and Burn brush need

Old 09-30-2010, 02:32 AM

Question Dodge and Burn brush need

Hi

i need a brush to Dodge and Burn face and other part of the body
and a brush to Dodge and Burn black & white landscape

i have alway used a standard brush hardness = 0

but there are brushes that make a lot more easy and better the job

to Dodge and Burn i add a lot of curve layer with mask

what could you advises me ?

every imput is high welcome

thanks
cheers

Last edited by mantra; 09-30-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 05:26 AM

Re: Dodge and Burn brush need

You mean brushes intended for dodge & burn? I wouldn't think that'd work as fine, because in most cases, you just want to darken/lighten one specific point and not the surrounding areas.

If you mean something like skin texture brushes, I don't like these at all. The results look most of the time awkward and too fake (of course, done professionally they might be of use, but I prefer dodge & burn nevertheless).

Doing a better job with special brushes is most of the time because you don't have enough experience with the actual process of d&b (no offense). It gives you the greatest possible control, so you should get the best possible result in the end (albeit sometimes the slowest as well ;-)).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 AM

I too use Curves layers, but I can not imagine a shape of the brush that would be better than a standard round brush.

If you know the shape , a brush is easy to make.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 AM

Yeah, the best should be a normal round brush. To be honest I've never used (or seen) anything else for d&b. Usually you just use a soft brush with low flow. If you use a tablet you usually have the size or flow depend on pen pressure. If you are trying to do d&b with a mouse that is a very painful and slow process and a very low flow and many strokes is probably the way to go (but get a tablet, it will make this SO much easier).

Using two (or more) curves adjustment layers (darken/brighten) for d&b and paint in the masks is a good technique.

Ps: Remember you can make masks with the help of many other tools in Photoshop as well
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
You mean brushes intended for dodge & burn? I wouldn't think that'd work as fine, because in most cases, you just want to darken/lighten one specific point and not the surrounding areas.
i use curve to do it because they are not destructive
i don't use the Dodge and Burn tools for this reason,destructive

Quote:
experience with the actual process of d&b (no offense). It gives you the greatest possible control, so you should get the best possible result in the end (albeit sometimes the slowest as well ;-)).
no no i'm not offended
on the contrary i wold like to learn
Quote:
actual process of d&b
is there a good tutorial ?
but again Dodge and Burn tools are nice but destructive because i operate direttamente on the image

thanks a lot
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post

Using two (or more) curves adjustment layers (darken/brighten) for d&b and paint in the masks is a good technique.

Ps: Remember you can make masks with the help of many other tools in Photoshop as well
but is the D&b skill done with curve or levels ?
or is done with the dodge and burn tools?
Quote:
Remember you can make masks with the help of many other tools in Photoshop as well
i know only the eraser

for the brush shape , i did watch a movie , and he uses a brush with a feather(or something like that) like shape

thanks
cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 AM

Thumbs up Re: Dodge and Burn brush need

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantra View Post
but is the D&b skill done with curve or levels ?
or is done with the dodge and burn tools?

thanks
cheers
Hi Mantra: It is a good thing you have a very positive interest in D & B technique. I agree with members above, I've never seen a "special" brush for D & B although I don't know if there are brushes for that matter. D & B could be done using the regular round brush with low opacity and or flow.

The use of DB on a retouch, is the most time consuming of the job, but not the only one you should use; retouching include some additional work like: Liquify, healing and cloning, hair retouch, adjustment layers, color adjustment, split frequency layers, and sharpening. Of course each retoucher has its own method of work. You can use whatever you feel comfortable with, but over all "be patient". This is something we learn by practicing and learning from sites like this one RP, and other pros.

You can also use a layer set to soft light mode, and fill with 50% gray, painting with white for dodge and painting with black for burn on the same layer, although the use of individual curves has more flexibility because you can change the curve on the fly and/or add saturation or desaturation etc.

As a rule of thumb, always use a brush smaller than the part you are working on. This could be from 1px maybe to 7 or 10px. In my short experience I often use 1-7 px brush, a 2 px brush is the most commonly used, with a 1 to 40 opacity depending on the portrait or which part of it, and 50% hardness. But as I said before every one has its own way to do this.

Here is a link to a nice starting point tutorial. Keep up the good work.
http://digital-makeups.deviantart.co...03123#/d26a2h2

Last edited by Boneappetit; 09-30-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 AM

The actual process (dodge & burn) doesn't have to be done with the actual tools, that's right :-).

Good tutorials can be found e.g. here: http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/art...2F7760513&qo=2, http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/art...2F7760513&qo=3, (http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/art...2F7760513&qo=0) and for a DVD with great lots of information take this one into consideration: http://www.digitalphotoshopretouchin...utorials-dvd-2

Edit: I'm just re-checking the tutorials and instead of using the curves directly on the layers, you should rather use adjustment layers for more flexibility and less file size.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 07:01 PM

You could also customize the PhShop default brushes. I always do this: activate the brushes palette / in its main window look for BRUSH TIP SHAPE / SPACING 10%. Default is always 25%. I obtain more density this way. Works better.
The attached sample (I know he's a ugly guy but just a client) was painted first and later I did all the age lines, shadows and shapes with the Dodge-Burn tools. If you learn how to use their potential you'll have a splendid tool for retouch.
Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg samples-opt-32.jpg (64.1 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching