The past two days there have been threads on how to describe frequency separation in a simple step by step way that would be easy to follow for everyone. Angela Michelle Perez
made a very clean and simple video that showed how to separate your image into 2 frequencies. A Low and a High frequency.
Watch Angela's video: Watch video
However her video contains a little flaw which is discussed here
Angela made a new video: New video Photons2Pixels
came up with a nice solution to how to heal non-destructively on the High Pass layer.
But his methods required for either switching between layers or not being able to clearly see what one is doing.
so I made some changes to his method. As described here
And I created an action for this method. Which was tested by rey sison photography
and can be downloaded here:Download frequency separation action
This action will...
- separate your image in 2 frequencies. A Low and a High.
- It will then attach a clipping mask to the High Pass frequency to do the non-destructive healing on (Healing brush Sample mode set to Current Layer)
- it will add a clipped curves adjustment layer for some detail sharpening
- and it will create a Dodge and a Burn curves adjustment layer for some D&B-ing.
1. Download the Action
2. Load action in Photoshop
3. Select your layer you want to separate
4. Run action
5. Select a blur amount for your Low/High pass
6. Set the Apply image settings as shown below
8bit settings: http://trefbal.com/work/apply_image_8bit_settings.png
16bit settings: http://trefbal.com/work/apply_image_16bit_settings.png
7. Have fun and enjoy!
For a better understanding of what it is and what it could be used for, read the HighPass Sucks (+ solution)
thread by SRB Photo