RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Automatic Skin Smoothing.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:24 AM

Re: Automatic Skin Smoothing.

Its a good thing this is automatic skin smoothing ,, It it were manual you would have to start a whole website so it could have its own URL..!!!

You characters needn't be afraid to use larger sample images and PSD's for your samples ... Plus use sharper images ..Use another website if need be to post them.. I was trying to follow along with the narrative and work out the images but were way to small and not really clear enough to experiment with… There is a lot of good information in this thread but it Seems one of you were more interested in back biting instead of just constructive criticism... ... .. Just an observation..!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Hum mm....... Never mind.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydM View Post
Seems one of you were more interested in back biting instead of just constructive criticism... ... .. Just an observation..!!
I guess I owe the group an apology then for having been a distraction. My only intents here were to rectify misattribution of my own statements as well to attempt protection of the group from bad technical information. That I've not had time to adequately give attention to rectifying it is regrettable, but if the half measure which I'm able to afford is proving more burdensome than beneficial, I'll step out.

Again, my apologies to the crowd.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Patron

Sean, there is no need to apologize at all. Your responses are all professional and presented in a constructive manner. The information in them has been informative and thought provoking for those members who understand the issues and have interest in this subject. While this thread may be lengthy, it has not been filled with of topic jibes and jabs, or personal attacks, or meaningless entries. It is clear that you have contributed a significant amount of your time, as has Shadow Light, to provide valuable tools and learning to the membership. You will always find a few members who will complain about a thread's length or technical scope despite it overall value. I think you will find them in the vast minority. Thanks fro hanging in and contributing.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2010, 10:57 AM

sean and shadow, it's been great. nothing to apologize for or shy away from.

keep it up!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydM View Post
Its a good thing this is automatic skin smoothing ,, It it were manual you would have to start a whole website so it could have its own URL..!!!

You characters needn't be afraid to use larger sample images and PSD's for your samples ... Plus use sharper images ..Use another website if need be to post them.. I was trying to follow along with the narrative and work out the images but were way to small and not really clear enough to experiment with… There is a lot of good information in this thread but it Seems one of you were more interested in back biting instead of just constructive criticism... ... .. Just an observation..!!
you can see here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Photon...49810035060099
for some instructions and link to youtube channel with some instructions and demos

Sean, no need for apologies, but in my humble opinion you sometimes get carried away, losing perspective of use.

I do understand the "math stuff" and the reasoning why the clipping in the high-pass occurs (which in this case leaks details back from the original image), but if you account for the conditions for this to happen you will see that it is a non-issue.
I added examples a few times, and showed that it is not possible to happen if you use SkinSmooth.

You are correct that contrast-50 preserves more information in the highlights, but since we are using the inverse to smooth the image, more information in the mid-tones I think is more beneficial (this will smooth the mid-tones better, and keep more of the highlight details intact as you see in the tests).

--------------

soon I'll be moving (again) to a new continent, so if you find any problems with SkinSmooth let me know in the following few weeks, as I'm not sure when I'll have time/internet to get to it after that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2010, 01:06 PM

How about two implementations of SkinSmooth, one using opacity-50, one using contrast-50 or the custom filter (whichever is easiest to code in your interface)?

Then we'd have the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2010, 01:51 PM

contrast-50 has some implementation issues. it can't be stacked as a filter, so if implemented you will lose the "strength" control slider.

the "custom filter" produced quite poor results, so I don't see a reason to use it at all
I did add it in a test in one of the PSDs for comparison... and I did consider using it, but the results were quite a bit off.

...as I explained in details backed with examples... for the purpose of this technique, there is no clipping and in reality both are almost the same.
(minus the very slight difference in smoothing better highlights vs midtones)
... so it's some sort of "hype" about using that c-50, that I really don't see where it's coming from.

Last edited by ShadowLight; 11-06-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
How about two implementations of SkinSmooth, one using opacity-50, one using contrast-50 or the custom filter (whichever is easiest to code in your interface)?

Then we'd have the best of both worlds.
I hope you'll try using a Custom filter as described in this thread yourself to see what the actual results are. They're quite as I've described them (as perfect as a single layer implementation can be), but if you run into trouble please let me know and I'll help you work through it. I'm looking into the documentation for script writing myself so as to make it streamlined, but am not yet sure if I have the background needed to pull it off. I'll start a thread for that if it comes about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLight View Post
contrast-50 has some implementation issues. it can't be stacked as a filter, so if implemented you will lose the "strength" control slider.
I actually found the code which you need to open a SO so as to insert a -50C AL earlier today - on this site of all places. And of course it would never impact your ability to adjust the layer opacity / fill later on, as that's always accessible. Good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2010, 07:13 PM

select the "custom filter" and compare the difference with C-50:
HPdiff-test.psd

Actually "mask/unmask" does exactly this, however to replicate the "strength" slider the values of "c-50" will have to be affected. (as now the "fill" does the same function as c-50, so adjusting the fill will have to be adjusting the c-50)

play with the values and you will see that it is very useful, even above 50%
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLight View Post
select the "custom filter" and compare the difference with C-50:
HPdiff-test.psd
I asked him to try it for himself for a reason. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching