RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Automatic Skin Smoothing.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Re: Automatic Skin Smoothing.

Just as another note for testing - this is something which had been bothering me but which I've just been able to sort out - PS 'caches' Smart Object + Smart Filter results, and doesn't always clear those results when it should. Specifically, when the same filters (GB, HP, etc.) have been used on other raster layers in the interim, the composite fails to update

So if, for example, you were to create a Custom Filter version of these tests with the filters applied in the wrong order, working with a lot of other SFs and raster layers in the mean time, simply re-ordering the filters won't actually fix the problem or give you the new result. You have to open each of their dialogs to confirm their settings (click "OK") in order to force PS to update the final result. The cache will also clear after certain other events, but I've not been able to elucidate them all yet - maybe after a set period of time.

I'm going to submit another bug report to Adobe for this, as it clearly should not be happening.

If I'm not being clear about the above, please ask and I'll happily clarify what's going wrong behind the scenes.

I'll say this - this thread has discovered more bugs in PS than I've seen in any forum discussion over the last years.

Last edited by bakerser; 11-07-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Corrected steps to replicate the problem and to clear the cache.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Lightbulb Re: Automatic Skin Smoothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerser View Post

I'll say this - this thread has discovered more bugs in PS than I've seen in any forum discussion over the last years.
Ha, I'd say, you guys can write a book using this thread...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLight View Post
again.. you are not testing properly

here is the comparison of the actual result:
CustomFilter_test.psd

.. pfffff.... the end.
Sorry for my naiveté, but I'm not sure how to read your examples.

In Sean's he uses "difference" to compare methods to a known standard. And the difference in results to that are negligible. In yours the comparisons seem to be against skin soft, which is a method still in question. And the "difference" you demonstrate is substantially larger. I honestly don't understand how to interpret the results. What exactly are you demonstrating?

Again, sorry for my less than pedestrian level of understanding.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Shadow, I think I've got it now. I compare SkinSoft against CustomLast and see a difference that is probably moot unless exaggerated far beyond normal use.

I think we've come full circle to where I began in this thread. My take is this: Sean's methods are technically superior but one would be extremely hard pressed to see that superiority revealed in actual use. And conversely, SkinSoft offers an ease of use and masking (which is pretty mandatory with this technique) that is superior to the (apply image) IHP SO actions typically in use.

Both are worthwhile approaches.

Though I typically prefer to do the traditional two layer split and selectively blur/paint/smudge/ect the lowpass. I find that gives me the greatest control and without all the haloing around contrasty edges. Am I missing something there?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Sorry for my naiveté, but I'm not sure how to read your examples.

In Sean's he uses "difference" to compare methods to a known standard. And the difference in results to that are negligible. In yours the comparisons seem to be against skin soft, which is a method still in question. And the "difference" you demonstrate is substantially larger. I honestly don't understand how to interpret the results. What exactly are you demonstrating?

Again, sorry for my less than pedestrian level of understanding.
The layers/groups are modified to match the end result from each technique.

it shows the difference against c-50 (as this is what Sean sets his standards from).
fyi: using "custom filter" and "average 50%" give the same result as Fill/Opacity50%
(maybe he will send a new bug-report to Adobe... )

this thread has became too messed up to explain, and this is what I wanted to avoid
I'll think about re-writing a few things in a new way... however so far what is proposed gives the same results as the current version.

when it comes to clipping, I did find a special cases where you get some feedback in the image even when it's bigger, however to get it you still need large hp:r, and it gets negated by the GB requirement, so in the end there is no affect on the application... but I will think of some new way to put the end on the issue, however this thread would only confuse people... I can't see anyone benefiting from it... and I so liked to have avoided that nonsense

oh well... c;est la vie

IHP does not use "apply"...

anyway this is not editing a specific band where you put things together later
when I do a split, I usually make at least 3 frequency bands so I have separate LF, skin/blotches, skin/pores
... but I have to admit I've been using SkinNR recently more and more often... although it's not yet complete, it makes things quite fast and simple

Last edited by ShadowLight; 11-07-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Ha, I'd say, you guys can write a book using this thread...
my advice would be.. "don't read it"
in the end, it didn't tell anything new to anyone who already knew it
it just made things confusing
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLight View Post
IHP does not use "apply"...
Of course, sorry.

Quote:
anyway this is not editing a specific band where you put things together later
when I do a split, I usually make at least 3 frequency bands so I have separate LF, skin/blotches, skin/pores
Sounds like the basis of a nice new thread.

Quote:
... but I have to admit I've been using SkinNR recently more and more often... although it's not yet complete, it makes things quite fast and simple
Looking forward to it's release.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 03:57 PM

well... I'm not sure how much time I'll have next few months, so I'll probably make a final update of SkinSmooth for now...

right now the IHP some people has more precision in the highlights and thus takes them out.. smooths out the highlights but it's not very precise on the mid-tones, where the current version is precisely good because it is precise there.

anyway... this time however I won't be answering questions on "how" or "What" I've done...
so I'll let whoever wants to use it and decide only on the results...

but someone tells you "its not good" you should ask them for example and comparison don't take anyone's word for it
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 04:44 PM

So many ways to do the exact same visual results people forget the goal.... I like what you have done and its easy enough to add a little or a lot its just a tool like everything in ps abused its not very good done right looks sweet as hell kudos on your work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 PM

I've been trying to learn Mandarin for some time now, one of the most difficult languages to learn in the world. During this process, one day I read that when we are kids most of us like cookies and when we had a chance to have a cookie we just went for it, some of us still do hehe. We never thought of the ingredients they put in it, or how they do it, we just wanted to grab it and eat it..... In the meantime I'll just experiment with the plug-in and see how far I can go with it, and the best thing, is free... Enjoy !!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching