RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Automatic Skin Smoothing.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Re: Automatic Skin Smoothing.

well... just stepped into a whole bunch of actual Photoshop bugs...
the kind of that actually not work at all ... so the update may be somewhat delayed until I figure a workaround if possible...

anyway, thanks for the comments
and remember... a cookie is as good as it tastes, it's not a vitamin pill

and the tools do not make retouchers good, they just make things easier

cheers

Last edited by ShadowLight; 11-07-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Sean's methods are technically superior but one would be extremely hard pressed to see that superiority revealed in actual use. And conversely, SkinSoft offers an ease of use and masking (which is pretty mandatory with this technique) that is superior to the (apply image) IHP SO actions typically in use.
Whether you can see the difference will still depending considerably upon the source material and settings used. It is entirely possible with the current program version to cause data clipping and to lose image fidelity.
Quote:
Though I typically prefer to do the traditional two layer split and selectively blur/paint/smudge/ect the lowpass. I find that gives me the greatest control and without all the haloing around contrasty edges. Am I missing something there?
You are correct that this gives you much better control than any IHP technique does. It's longer work sometimes, but it's a better result.

Of course, I'll be told that I don't know what I'm talking about, seeing as all of the IHP users I know are using an "Apply" based technique. But I'm sure those fashion mags really wouldn't know a good retoucher if they jumped out at them .
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 PM

yes... before IHP and "apply" there were not good retouchers...

thank god, you opened our eyes

tools don't make a retoucher good, they just make things easier
if you can't make a comparative result to show a difference, then you are just hot air
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLight View Post
yes... before IHP and "apply" there were not good retouchers...

thank god, you opened our eyes

tools don't make a retoucher good, they just make things easier
if you can't make a comparative result to show a difference, then you are just hot air
I wonder if I could ask you a favor. While I'm sitting here coding an alternative to your app (albeit not as pretty - I still haven't a clue how to use Flash), I wonder if you could tell me how much better you feel about yourself at the end of the day making blind accusations of others vs. actually having discussions with them? I've been called more names in this discourse than at any point in my life (and I serve in a rather... salty career field), so I wonder - what has is it about you or your life situation that you've felt the need?

Don't get me wrong, much as I stated earlier, I'm far happier with you taking shots at me - water off the duck's back as is were - than at the rest of the people reading here, but I could use the distraction while I refine the workflow.

Thanks for everything.

To make good on the assertion (the Lord only knows what I'd be called if I couldn't), an early alpha of a "Custom Filter" skin smoother is attached. The UI frankly blows, but is deliberately geared towards those who already have their 'foot in the door'. I'll make it more 'approachable' in time, but this is really more of a tech demonstration than anything else. I make no warranty about it working on any but my own computer, nor about it not trashing yours. Use at your own risk. But once I get it tuned, I'll be using it a lot for some aspects of workflow - there's an aspect to this implementation which I'm already in love with this - see if you can guess which. Unzip to your PS\Presets\Scripts folder. Restart PS. Launch the script from the File->Scripts menu. Choose "SRB Skin" (witty, right? ). The "Invert" checkbox will clip an Invert Ajustment Layer to the created layer. When you have a SO copy selected while starting the script, "Update Current Layer" will allow you to change the settings for that SO. Also when you have an SO selected you get the "Use Same Smart Object" option, so that you can use the same SO as the basis for the next alternation (meaning that you can forever go back and adjust that SO, getting the same frequency adjustments worked back into the overall image - creative relighting, etc.). Have fun.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SRBSkin.zip (3.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by bakerser; 11-08-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 PM

I'm allergic to b.s. and the antihistamine is running short.

don't flatter yourself, I just can't take people full of themselves for no good reason

good luck with your project, maybe you should start a thread about it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerser View Post
You are correct that this gives you much better control than any IHP technique does. It's longer work sometimes, but it's a better result.

The thing is, by reducing the haloing, and the resultant critical masking and/or differing radii near edges etc (probably a good practice anyway though) I find it's a time saver relative to IHP.

Sean, I already requested it in the ReotuchPro Live presenter request thread, but I'm hoping you can do a show with Doug on the many uses and finer applications of the split techniques.

Sure, spend 15 mins or so on the technical aspects and why Apply is better than HP, and some of the background material on frequencies from your blog, but then really into the nitty gritty of using the split:

Blur tool of choice; radius selection; texture replacement vs attenuation; handling edges without haloing; tricks to use on the HF layer, tricks on the LF layer; use of blank layers between and clipping layers above; softening texture, sharpening texture; use on skin, hair, fabric; etc.

A DEEP overview geared toward real world use.

Pretty please?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLight View Post
I'm allergic to b.s. and the antihistamine is running short.

don't flatter yourself, I just can't take people full of themselves for no good reason

good luck with your project, maybe you should start a thread about it.
It's amazing how similarly two people can feel about something and still respond to it so dissimilarly.

Cute analogy.

And thanks - I'll of course start one when it's ready. I just didn't want to lend any credence to the criticism here by not putting my money where my mouth was; hence posting early. The 'real' release will of course include the source as well so that others might add in or change any functionality they seek.
Quote:
The thing is, by reducing the haloing, and the resultant critical masking and/or differing radii near edges etc (probably a good practice anyway though) I find it's a time saver relative to IHP.

Sean, I already requested it in the ReotuchPro Live presenter request thread, but I'm hoping you can do a show with Doug on the many uses and finer applications of the split techniques.

Sure, spend 15 mins or so on the technical aspects and why Apply is better than HP, and some of the background material on frequencies from your blog, but then really into the nitty gritty of using the split:

Blur tool of choice; radius selection; texture replacement vs attenuation; handling edges without haloing; tricks to use on the HF layer, tricks on the LF layer; use of blank layers between and clipping layers above; softening texture, sharpening texture; use on skin, hair, fabric; etc.

A DEEP overview geared toward real world use.

Pretty please?
I completely understand what you're saying re: IHP, and you're certainly not along in that sentiment. Many of the people I talk to will use IHP only for work which has to be rushed and as such has a margin of error. Otherwise they'll work as you describe and use it either as a visual aid or to heal / clone / etc in the different frequency 'zones'. Others of course will use it anyway (in small repeated portions) in order to build up the same look as can be achieved otherwise, but without needing such fine 'painting' skills -- amusingly (or pathetically) enough, that's why I came across this stuff in the first place .

In all cases, I've no objections to sharing what (little, I'm sure we'll be told) that I know in any medium through which people can learn. I wouldn't be surprised - nor would I blame him - if Doug questioned how much appeal the topic has, though, so if you genuinely want to see it happen, I'll suggest asking as many questions as you have here in the forum and let's see how much 'buzz' it generates. There'll always be more to discuss, so it's not like we're 'giving it all away'.

Happy Monday!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Sean, I'm getting an error with your script.

Mac 10.5.8, CS5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 3.jpg (17.9 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Sean, I'm getting an error with your script.

Mac 10.5.8, CS5.
Updated. Send me a PM if you continue having trouble.

For SL - I don't want to "pollute" your new thread with information, but, you do realize that I even returned to this conversation with you was because you were misattributing me, right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Sean, the script runs now but the Invert option is inverting the SO directly (no clipped layer).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching