RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to create light on face?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:31 PM

How to create light on face?

I'd like to create the EXACT light effect like this example in PS. Does anyone know the right method to archive it?

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...eate_light.jpg

The back light on this picture was using a grid spot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Re: How to create light on face?

Looks like a beauty dish or umbrella over the camera and a grid or strip light on the sides and slightly behind the subject with a slight blue or cooler gel.

It would be easier to detect if you showed a full example instead of a sliver.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2010, 02:40 PM

It's actually a grid spot on right side without any gels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Sorry...... I read your post quickly...... didn't realize you want to create that look in PS. I would say dodge the area on the side of the face to bring out a highlight or make a curves layer lightened and mask it and paint in area you want highlighted... there are many ways...... I guess that's what you are asking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2010, 06:16 PM

Hum I tried to dodge (lighten) using curve but it doesn't give me the right effect though. Also tried some blending mode didn't work out...

Does anyone know a better method or technique to get it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Sorry...... I read your post quickly...... didn't realize you want to create that look in PS. I would say dodge the area on the side of the face to bring out a highlight or make a curves layer lightened and mask it and paint in area you want highlighted... there are many ways...... I guess that's what you are asking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2010, 09:57 PM

Why don't you post the image you want to work on... before and after you tried for the effect? It would be easier to analyze what needs to be done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2010, 03:45 AM

Although retouching is powerful, I'd say you're wasting your time if you think you can create entirely new light sources with pixel-pushing. Specular reflections on skin aren't the only things that additional light sources impart to the image - what about colour, scatter, fill, shadows etc.

Get it right in the studio the first time, because I will go out on a limb to say that you really can't expect to retouch-in entire light sources.

If I read your request correctly, it's a bit ike asking how to create the EXACT effect of standing inside the Taj Mahal, when all you have is a cardboard box. There are some things where, if you don't have it... you don't have it.

Panth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2010, 03:55 AM

Just an idea, but take the color of the gel you'd use, create a new layer in "Linear Dodge" mode, paint over the area with a soft brush, (lower the opacity to taste,) go to the advanced blending options and drag the black triangle of the "Underlying layers" to the right (about 130). [Alt]-click it and drag the other half to about 170.
Now select the entire area using [Ctrl]-click on the thumbnail and copy merged ([Shift]+[Ctrl]+[C]). Use "Filter"-"Sharpen"-"Smart Sharpen", amount 200%, radius 1px, remove: Lens Blur, more accurate turned on.

But really this is just the light, like Panth said, you'll also have to add in shadows, additional illumination etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 AM

Looks like they've used strip/rim lighting from behind/to the sides...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 AM

It can be done, but it is an annoying process. Lighten the entire area with one curve, then put another one on, and drag the white point over to the right. Mask that in nicely so it fits. Repeat this a bunch of times to get the highlights right (some curves will have to be in Luminosity mode to avoid weird colors). Then create a luminosity mask and adjust that with a levels to get a proper highlight mask, add some more curves..... Then you have to add some shadow to blend the new light in.

It's not my favorite thing to do, as it is really hard to get looking right and very time consuming. But if need be, you can do it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching