RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get this look....again:)

Old 10-25-2010, 03:00 PM

Re: How to get this look....again:)

Hi guys thanks for the replies and interesting techniques. I read that the picture i `ve submitted is in a light tone. I submit a new one , and hope this will be more suited. This have not been retouched at all. I like both macburg and flashtones versions and think they`re into something. Interesting technique to give grain more chunky look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC0796retouchpro.jpg (77.0 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Rust; 10-25-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I like both macburg and flashtones versions and think they`re into something.
Thanks. Truth be told I don't even know if I like it, I'm just trying to reverse engineer the effect of the sample provided. I do think the approach (curves and HSL (+ noise if desired)) are sufficient to get the job done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RUST_DSC0796RTP.jpg (73.9 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 03:32 PM

reminds me a little of his work:
http://www.gregswales.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 PM

Looks like your effect flashtone was better on this picture. Can you be more spesific about what you have done? My guess is HSL that with a slight desaturation. Then curves, pulled the middle of the curve down to add more cyan, yellow and magenta??
And macburg, when i add a gradient map adj.layer (default setting ) it gives the grain a lot more subtle look , am i doing it right?. I usually use free transform on a soft light layer 50%gray... with noise added.Then adjust the size to get the grain to be more irregular and bigger.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Rust, busy now but I'll post some screen shots later. In the meantime, I'm curious to hear what you think still needs to be done to get a better match, and why the technique worked better on this image than the other.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 08:23 PM

Sorry yeah there are a few more steps involved, download the action I created here -

http://www.mediafire.com/?gsltago3djwln99

Experiment with different blending modes for the gradient map layer, I guess it does kinda make the grain a bit more subtle, but it does blend in the grain with your image below rather than just a global hit of grain. Try the action and let me know what ya think.

Last edited by MacBurg; 10-26-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Looks like your effect flashtone was better on this picture. Can you be more spesific about what you have done?
Couple of screen shots attached.

The primary effect comes from Fog+Color. The key is raising the blacks on the composite channel to fog the blacks, and the blue curve where I add blue to the shadows and yellow to the highlights.

The rest are variations on the theme, though +Contrast and -Corners are strictly luminosity moves to add contrast and darken the corners respectively. I also added noise to a 50% gray layer, blurred, and put in soft light mode.

I'd be happy to show you more of the adjustments if you'd like (or PM me with an email address or FTP and I'll give you the layered tiff,) but really once you get the idea the exact formula is relative to the desired end colors and the contrast of the original image. IOW, what works for one image might not work very well for another.

The trick is to be able to articulate (in your own mind) what the look you are going for is. The image you provided as a target is roughly: flat, desaturated, with cool shadows and warm highlights. There are tons of ways to get there in PS, but the final formula is dependent on the starting point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RustLayers.jpg (90.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg RustAdj.jpg (30.6 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 07:02 AM

Just updated my grain action in the previous post to include a new "Superfat" grain action, sometimes can be hard to put the tools away at 2am in the morning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 AM

This is interesting, lots of information in this thread for a relative nubie. Thanks guys. Thanks RUST for asking. I've never heard of "fog" before.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM

Hi guys, thanks again for replies. First Flashtones you asked me why it works better on this image. I would say the first picture is ,in my opinion, to light for the effect, there is something about the skintones that doesn`t look quite right with the effect applied. It looks so much better in the second one. And i would guess it easier to apply your effect to an unretouched image than the first one , that already has kind of a "look".
And the effect fog have i never heard of but it understand now it`s what i primarily look for and like. I think in the original picture the effect is maybe slightly stronger. But i really like your version.
Macburg: Thanks for the action. I`ll have to play around with it some more. But for now i think i prefer the filmgrain,looks really cool. How many % do you apply i the gray-soft light layer??
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching