RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Adding texture to skin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-17-2010, 08:37 AM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Adding texture to skin

Hello All,

Sorry another question I have smudged the little girl face but it looks too smooth as I am trying to achieve a portrait painting. Is there a way I can add some texture to her skin to make it looks more painterly. I am not very good with corel painter yet i've used photoshop for her skin.

Any advice would be much apperciated.


Thanks very much guys



helen

Last edited by sergio2263; 10-18-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 10-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Aladdin's Avatar
Aladdin Aladdin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 444
Re: Adding texture to skin

I am afraid you might have to start all over. There are many aspects to smudge, however, the two most important aspects are brush pressure which should be set at around 7~9% and brush type, not all brushes are geared for smudging.
(hair and lips need to be done, looks like you did not touch them), her eyebrows are smudged with the same brush as her skin, they look awful, sorry, but this is the truth. You need Skin brush, Hair brush and various other brushes, they are all available free. each part need different brush pressure.

If you did not spend 3 to 4 hours smudging her, you did not do good job.

Sorry for being harsh, but we all come here to learn.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 AM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Re: Adding texture to skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
I am afraid you might have to start all over. There are many aspects to smudge, however, the two most important aspects are brush pressure which should be set at around 7~9% and brush type, not all brushes are geared for smudging.
(hair and lips need to be done, looks like you did not touch them), her eyebrows are smudged with the same brush as her skin, they look awful, sorry, but this is the truth. You need Skin brush, Hair brush and various other brushes, they are all available free. each part need different brush pressure.

If you did not spend 3 to 4 hours smudging her, you did not do good job.

Sorry for being harsh, but we all come here to learn.
Thanks for your reply no please don't be sorry I don't mind any critique at all but I think you got my question wrong. I put this image here because I want to know how to add a little texture to the face and not about how to do smudge painting I yet to actually start working on the image I have various correct brushes and are aware how to use them. My questions is on how to add a little texture the skin because the skin looks too smooth so if anyone can help about adding texture to skin I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance


helen
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 10-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Wyk's Avatar
Wyk Wyk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 16
Re: Adding texture to skin

New Layer > Fill with Light Gray
Add Noise > Amt 12 / Uniform
Emboss > 1 Height / Amount depending on your taste.
** Set layer mode to Linear Light.

Play around with the opacity and blur out certain strong regions to get proper skin texture effect. Also painting skin tones on this layer with about 20% opacity brush will make it seem more natural.

Attached an example. Didn't bother too much but just to give you an idea of what it will look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TEAGANTEXTURE.jpg (91.7 KB, 120 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 10-17-2010, 01:17 PM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Thumbs up Re: Adding texture to skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyk View Post
New Layer > Fill with Light Gray
Add Noise > Amt 12 / Uniform
Emboss > 1 Height / Amount depending on your taste.
** Set layer mode to Linear Light.

Play around with the opacity and blur out certain strong regions to get proper skin texture effect. Also painting skin tones on this layer with about 20% opacity brush will make it seem more natural.

Attached an example. Didn't bother too much but just to give you an idea of what it will look like.

Thank you it is much appreciated this is what I was after I shall give it a try and see what happens.

cheers


helen
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 10-17-2010, 02:41 PM
pellepiano pellepiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 393
Re: Adding texture to skin

Why not use the original texture ? Put the original on top layer, do Highpass with a radius of 3 or something like that and set the blending mode to Overlay and lower the opacity. Mask out parts that are not skin.
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 10-18-2010, 04:12 AM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Thumbs up Re: Adding texture to skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepiano View Post
Why not use the original texture ? Put the original on top layer, do Highpass with a radius of 3 or something like that and set the blending mode to Overlay and lower the opacity. Mask out parts that are not skin.
Thank you for your reply appreciated it yes I shall try that didn't think about it but then I want the skin to have the texture of old painting like Bouguereau
style texture. I shall have more play about.


helen
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 AM
pellepiano pellepiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 393
Re: Adding texture to skin

Then maybe use the texture from those paintings =) ( with highpass method ).
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 AM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Thumbs up Re: Adding texture to skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepiano View Post
Then maybe use the texture from those paintings =) ( with highpass method ).

Yes will do and thanks for showing your method.



Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glamour retouch challenge here!!!! superkoax Photo Retouching 332 02-08-2011 09:52 PM
adding skin texture bustaboy Photo Retouching 9 04-06-2010 02:30 PM
Terry Richardson skin texture, tone, color bluray Photo Retouching 8 12-05-2009 02:56 AM
Ethereal glow while retaining skin texture feppe Photo Retouching 0 02-28-2009 05:32 AM
new skin texture bullys1974 Photo Retouching 2 01-28-2007 04:53 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved