RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Cintiq21 Do you use one?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Cintiq21 Do you use one?

I have a question.

Does anyone here retouch on a Wacom Cintiq21? Just curious. I have my mind made up about them. I want to know what others think.

Josh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Re: Cintiq21 Do you use one?

I've had mine for months now and love it. I couldn't imagine using anything else. I started with a regular tablet then went to the 12wx then on to the 21" I think I'll stay here. Unless they make a 30" next :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 AM

I have my wacom intuos tablet which i love, since i cant draw there's no point buying a bigger one, and it would make even less sense to buy the cintiq21 though it looks like it rocks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 05:27 PM

JSFphoto: Do you have the 2nd gen 21"? Who knows what they'll release next? I for one hope that it has a HD screen and the express keys light up like they do on the Intuos4.

Bart: I don't think you really have to be able to 'draw' to buy a Cintiq. If it can help speed up your retouching workflow it would be worth the investment. I've spent an hour or so retouching on a Cintiq and I loved it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 05:40 PM

I have a 21UX ... 12WX is the same too. More comfortable at the price of a smaller workspace. I primarily got it for painting purposes but I even do my retouching on it. One should not think twice before getting a Cintiq.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 AM

I've been using a 21UX for the last month or so. It's really nice to work on, but I do find that I have issues with it.

The cursor is exactly on my pen when I start working, but after like 4-5 hours, the cursor is slightly right of my pen. A reboot fixes this, but it's weird

I'm left-handed, which means that whatever I'm doing, my hand is usually in the way of seeing what I do.

For color the cintiq is terrible. Which means you get a ridiculour set-up (which I have now): 1 Cintiq for working on, an Eizo for color and a cheapo monitor for tools. I switch between the 3 with a click of one of the touchkeys on the cintiq.

It's an ok system, but I don't think I'll use it till the end of time I might just switch back to 2 monitors and a regular wacom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeljones View Post
JSFphoto: Do you have the 2nd gen 21"? Who knows what they'll release next? I for one hope that it has a HD screen and the express keys light up like they do on the Intuos4.

Yes I have the 2nd gen. Would love the keys to light up like the Intous 4! I use one or two of the keys all of the time and have the rest set up but always forget what I have set them to do lol. I actually talked to Wes @ Wacom this weekend and suggested that to him. I'm sure he has heard it before.

http://www.exposingfashion.com/2010/...rs-playground/
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post

For color the cintiq is terrible. Which means you get a ridiculour set-up (which I have now): 1 Cintiq for working on, an Eizo for color and a cheapo monitor for tools. I switch between the 3 with a click of one of the touchkeys on the cintiq.
Sure, It's not the top of the line with color but, can you imagine the price tag if it had a better screen in it? I know very few people that don't have a two monitor setup why not duplicate the window and keep it on the "color screen" as a preview?

Or you could just learn your colors by the numbers... after all it really is the only way to know for sure what you are getting. No monitor is ever going to be perfect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSFphoto View Post
Sure, It's not the top of the line with color but, can you imagine the price tag if it had a better screen in it? I know very few people that don't have a two monitor setup why not duplicate the window and keep it on the "color screen" as a preview?

Or you could just learn your colors by the numbers... after all it really is the only way to know for sure what you are getting. No monitor is ever going to be perfect.
Yes I said I was already doing that, but in a discussion of these tablets, I feel it's a fair thing to say that even after calibrating, it's not very good with color. That's not a reflection of my skills, but more on the issues that these things might have.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 AM

I haven't had any issue with color on mine. What do you use to calibrate? The only problem i have is some of the darker grays on the edge of the gamut end up with a bit of a flicker visually. I know its just the limitations of the screen itself and just ignore it. Color wise It's no Eizo but it can handle what I need it to do.

-JSF
http://www.exposingfashion.com/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching