RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how to make a "clean" photo?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:55 AM

Re: how to make a "clean" photo?

To the OP and Aladdin:
When Godmother says that those images take at least 5hrs, she ain't kidding.... See this link for an interview with the design director for Philadelphia magazine.
http://www.phillymag.com/articles/th...llies_package/

He talks about the shoot with the baseball players (shot by the very successful Chris Crisman) and we can understand the enormous amount of planning, work - and the team of people! -, and post; it takes to achieve shots like these:

http://www.crismanphoto.com/#/Collections/Sports/16
http://www.crismanphoto.com/#/Collections/Groups/5

And as she pointed out, a lot of different techniques went into those. So no one plug-in solution or magic button to push, sorry...

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 10:26 AM

Hey guys! I am a total noob and new to this site and I am happy to learn that its' not that my skills suck. It turns out that the best photos take a couple of hours of a proffesionals work
now I see i was spending too little time retouching my pics

thanks for this site!
bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post

Those pictures I can assure you have at least 5 hours of work done by a professional.

x
I'm sorry, but I doubt these had more than 20 or 30 min of work on them. I'd say 15 min on color and 15 on D&B. Look up some of these photographers other work (if you can find them) Most of it is just over-sharpened lightroom preset crap.

The only way that would take 5 hours is if they didn't know what a layer was when they started. So... It possibly could have taken them 5 hours.

The last link in the OP is an exception. Thats a comped BKG and a bad mask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 10:44 AM

He also doesn't hurt that he shoots with a hasselblad. Here's a behind the scenes of one of his shoots

http://www.crismanblog.com/2009/06/flower-children.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 AM

Good lighting, good camera, good photographer, good models, good retoucher, good MUA, good location = Definitely Good photos that we all trying to do it with one person, if i have a team to work with then my photos will not be so big different than those, i can't shoot alone and do all these alone, i am not the model and MUA and retoucher and designer and hairstylist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 PM

I can safely say that other than the OP and myself, no one really grasp the essence of what we are trying to ask, I think this is due to our inability to describe the effect.

Yes, yes and yes, it takes hours, days and weeks to a proper retouch job, it could also take a team to do it. I am not doubting this, I know it first hand. Which that is why I did not provide a link to a particular photographer to avoid hearing about D&B, FS and such.

The link I offered is for some one who shots hundreds of pictures a week and does not have more than 5 or 10 minutes per picture. Again, it is certain look or rather effect, and yes, that wedding photographer has "clean" pictures in that link and as I said before, not all of them, don't just look at the first 2 or 3 and declare me nuts, take your time and go through ALL OF THEM and you will see what I mean. Look at the picture where the bride/groom walking down a stone ally with houses on each side of the road and grass is protruding between the stones, this is clean and don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Yes, yes and yes, it takes hours, days and weeks to a proper retouch job, it could also take a team to do it. I am not doubting this, I know it first hand. Which that is why I did not provide a link to a particular photographer to avoid hearing about D&B, FS and such.
Actually I'm sorry...I said OP but I meant this work

Quote:
Sorry Tareq, they are crisp, but not clean, I understand what the OP is after, it is really hard to explain. It is like it was "bleached" but not washed, look here for more samples: http://www.crismanphoto.com/#/Portfolio/Portfolio/5 - just view the rest of the Port.
THAT'S what takes hours.

I don't think the pictures from the OP links necessarily take hours it's really good photography, with some post

Quote:
The link I offered is for some one who shots hundreds of pictures a week and does not have more than 5 or 10 minutes per picture.
You mean the weeding photographer?

It's different.... the weeding album is NOT similar to Crisman's work at all.

One takes good weeding photography, and some actions and the other hours and hours of detail work.

x

So yes, you're right. I have no idea what "clean" means to you
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 04:59 PM

Ok stop stop stop!!

Why are you bouncing between, who did what, and if it takes 15 or 15.000 mins? Who gives a f...??
Stick to the Q and SHOW me and OP how to obtain that f...... look!!
-And NO!! Don't start with, you do not know what I'm talking about - then I'll be really mad!
That ultra precise neutral blackbalance, that goes all the way way to the highlights. How in the world there can be so much contrast, and definition in the close to black shadow area. Where is all his colornoise, that all the rest of the world, who uses Canon knows about!?
I would just LOVE to actually see it happen in a HD video!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 09:12 PM

I think maybe the key is to shoot with high end gear, minimum should be 1Ds3/5D/D3X/A900, but MF digital is the best option, i am now shooting with Hasselblad and i am blown away with its quality every time, so i keep learning until the time i can produce same of those results in less time spent in post processing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2010 View Post
Ok stop stop stop!!

Why are you bouncing between, who did what, and if it takes 15 or 15.000 mins? Who gives a f...??
Stick to the Q and SHOW me and OP how to obtain that f...... look!!
-And NO!! Don't start with, you do not know what I'm talking about - then I'll be really mad!
That ultra precise neutral blackbalance, that goes all the way way to the highlights. How in the world there can be so much contrast, and definition in the close to black shadow area. Where is all his colornoise, that all the rest of the world, who uses Canon knows about!?
I would just LOVE to actually see it happen in a HD video!
I'm sorry but this: http://1x.com//photos/documentary/31181/

It's good photography with SOME post. You'd have to post the Q in a photography forum.

In order to get results like that from a regular image, then you NEED a lot of post. HOW to get to point A to point B? Depends on the image so you'd have to post an original. and the retouching done to THAT original won't work on a different point A.

Now.... I hope that makes sense.
x
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching