RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how to make a "clean" photo?

Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 AM

Re: how to make a "clean" photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2010 View Post
Ok stop stop stop!!

Why are you bouncing between, who did what, and if it takes 15 or 15.000 mins? Who gives a f...??
Stick to the Q and SHOW me and OP how to obtain that f...... look!!
-And NO!! Don't start with, you do not know what I'm talking about - then I'll be really mad!
That ultra precise neutral blackbalance, that goes all the way way to the highlights. How in the world there can be so much contrast, and definition in the close to black shadow area. Where is all his colornoise, that all the rest of the world, who uses Canon knows about!?
I would just LOVE to actually see it happen in a HD video!
Mate, this kind of talk will probably not get you far. If you want to find out how a master photographer/retoucher works, you should try to approach them directly and see if they're willing to teach you. I wouldn't be able to create an HD video for you, simply because I'm a professional with limited time, and my work normally takes a long number of hours.

We are sticking to the Q. The point about how long it takes is a very valid one: high quality work – with the kind of precise balance/details/contrast/colour/blah-blah that you mentioned – takes time, often a lot of it. It's all about controlled work in PS: maybe tiny moves, but lots and lots of 'em.
The best I can do is show you how I would retouch what I'd consider to be a "clean" photo via a PSD file. I'm waiting for permission from the photographer to post one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
... i keep learning until the time i can produce same of those results in less time spent in post processing.
Good stuff there, love the MF Hasselblads! However, you might find that the better you want your craft to be, the longer you have to spend on it.
Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Mate, this kind of talk will probably not get you far. If you want to find out how a master photographer/retoucher works, you should try to approach them directly and see if they're willing to teach you. I wouldn't be able to create an HD video for you, simply because I'm a professional with limited time, and my work normally takes a long number of hours.
Sorry - the thread is just filled with comments that doesn't help anyone.

Quote:
We are sticking to the Q. The point about how long it takes is a very valid one: high quality work – with the kind of precise balance/details/contrast/colour/blah-blah that you mentioned – takes time, often a lot of it. It's all about controlled work in PS: maybe tiny moves, but lots and lots of 'em.
The best I can do is show you how I would retouch what I'd consider to be a "clean" photo via a PSD file. I'm waiting for permission from the photographer to post one.
Jeesus no - don't wait! Please take mine, they are shot with Canon 5D MKII and profoto lightning on a super nice model, a highcontrast fashion shot!
DL it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gez9lenn2idpe6d
http://www.mediafire.com/?y6px1x5qsrgs734

They are of cause copyrighted, but feel free to edit on them for this purpose!

Quote:
Good stuff there, love the MF Hasselblads! However, you might find that the better you want your craft to be, the longer you have to spend on it.
Cheers!
Every shooter knows the mayor stepup of MF - but still it is possible, to create nice stuff with SF. If just Canon cared to make the optics sharp like hasselblad, hasselblad would have a lot less clients...!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 10:38 AM

And why Canon doesn't making the optics sharp?

About the retouching, i will try to find a retoucher in this world so he can do and retouch my work, i am not good in photoshop or retouching, i want to focus on my photography more and let that time of post processing to someone else who is talented on it, i am sure there are people can retouch my work way way way better than i do and i will be blown away of the quality of that then.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 01:02 PM

Sharp clean photo? You need LIGHT!
Check this guy http://www.williamwadman.com/
Video http://www.vimeo.com/16627418

No good light and no post-processing will do...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Sharp clean photo? You need LIGHT!
Check this guy http://www.williamwadman.com/
Video http://www.vimeo.com/16627418

No good light and no post-processing will do...
That's it, the light making the difference.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 04:42 PM

These are the types of images being spoken about:
www.augustbradley.com

It's done with 1. Hasselblad 2. hours of D&B 3. excellent lighting 4. excellent models 5. excellent pre-shoot, among other things. Good Luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondyoda View Post
These are the types of images being spoken about:
www.augustbradley.com

It's done with 1. Hasselblad 2. hours of D&B 3. excellent lighting 4. excellent models 5. excellent pre-shoot, among other things. Good Luck
1. Done, even many will say it is not gear, so high end expensive camera is not the main thing and even not necessary, would like to see those Masters to work with entry-level cameras or even semi-pro and see how will the results will differ.

2. I don't know where to find those hours of D&B [means i need a retouchers as must].

3. What kind of excellent lighting?

4. Exc. models, or pro models? is it about the look of the model or something else?

5. What do you mean by "excellent pro-shoot"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2010, 02:18 AM

If you can't find the hours of d&b then you are in the wrong place. Excellent lighting means; the subject and/or scene has been lighted perfectly for the wanted effect. Look at how light falls on a subject. These shoots regularly require teams of people, it is not unlike a film shoot. Good actors make a good film in the same way that good models make good images. Pre-shoot means organisation i.e who is in your team? are they the right people? are we in the right location? These images are shot by PROS. Are you a pro? The creation of these images takes all of the above things into consideration and only a combination of all will create masterpieces. One thing you also usually need is money. Out of all of the elements that go into making these images one thing is by far more important than anything else.........talent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondyoda View Post
If you can't find the hours of d&b then you are in the wrong place. Excellent lighting means; the subject and/or scene has been lighted perfectly for the wanted effect. Look at how light falls on a subject. These shoots regularly require teams of people, it is not unlike a film shoot. Good actors make a good film in the same way that good models make good images. Pre-shoot means organisation i.e who is in your team? are they the right people? are we in the right location? These images are shot by PROS. Are you a pro? The creation of these images takes all of the above things into consideration and only a combination of all will create masterpieces. One thing you also usually need is money. Out of all of the elements that go into making these images one thing is by far more important than anything else.........talent.
Then all those questions in this forum asking about different effects done by pros or masters are useless, because we need a full team of people with the photographer to produce those nice interesting-effect shots, i also believe that i can't do all those things alone, i need assistants and helpers to make the project done, mistakes here is that a photographer want to have his shot top notch masterpiece by normal bad lighting and no good retoucher or retouching by himself and no assistants for lighting/make-up/dress/location etc etc.

I am not a pro, and now i know that i need to be a pro or have a good knowledgable or talented team to work with, then i will have my work as art as those pros or masters doing.

I agree that money is the thing i need to collect my team, otherwise i will not have some working with me free, and then they will not do the work as it should be if free, good luck for me until i can find the team to work with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
Then all those questions in this forum asking about different effects done by pros or masters are useless, because we need a full team of people with the photographer to produce those nice interesting-effect shots, i also believe that i can't do all those things alone, i need assistants and helpers to make the project done, mistakes here is that a photographer want to have his shot top notch masterpiece by normal bad lighting and no good retoucher or retouching by himself and no assistants for lighting/make-up/dress/location etc etc.

I am not a pro, and now i know that i need to be a pro or have a good knowledgable or talented team to work with, then i will have my work as art as those pros or masters doing.

I agree that money is the thing i need to collect my team, otherwise i will not have some working with me free, and then they will not do the work as it should be if free, good luck for me until i can find the team to work with.
It doesn't take that amount of money to make a good picture.
When I started doing composites I didn't have images to work with and I learned that a simple idea, executed taking every detail into account (planning, time, having aesthetic basis for EVERY DECISION you make) would make an excellent image over a complex idea executed poorly.
Once every single one of the pictures in your portfolio has this, you will have people willing to test with you (lend you their time) and the complexity of your images can grow with your portfolio.

good luck
x
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching