RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how to make a "clean" photo?

Old 11-14-2010, 07:44 AM

Re: how to make a "clean" photo?

Beyondyoda
You are right up to a point that some certain images we see (say some big name photographers) require a lot of money to pull off. I've equally, seen – and post processed – some amazing photography done on a pittance and with Canons, Nikons, whatever – no necessarily the Hassys and PhaseOnes.

Yes, there are a lot of things required to achieve a certain look, but money is not necessarily one of them. I'd say that to get a "clean" photo, more importantly the light needs to be spot on to start with, the composition needs to evoke something in the beholder. Then good post to finish it off.

See below. I think I did OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2010 View Post
Jeesus no - don't wait! Please take mine, they are shot with Canon 5D MKII and profoto lightning on a super nice model, a highcontrast fashion shot!

They are of cause copyrighted, but feel free to edit on them for this purpose!
Dude2010 provided two images. Canon. For all I know it was him and the model in an old club toilet. I thought the original was a bit too dark, with plugged-in shadows and very monochromatic in a sense. High contrasts but nothing in between. So I challenged myself to find something in it to make it a "clean" photo. IMO, I did OK, see attachments.

Dude2010, a bit of friendly advice. Remember, when shooting fashion, generally the aim it to showcase the fashion; you NEED lights, low/high contrasts is fine but you need light to see dresses, pants, bags, ties, jewellery you name it...

Do you still want the PSD for this?
Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test-2-as-Smart-Object-Orig.jpg (99.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg test-2_8B_-Smart-Object-3.jpg (97.2 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
It doesn't take that amount of money to make a good picture.
When I started doing composites I didn't have images to work with and I learned that a simple idea, executed taking every detail into account (planning, time, having aesthetic basis for EVERY DECISION you make) would make an excellent image over a complex idea executed poorly.
Once every single one of the pictures in your portfolio has this, you will have people willing to test with you (lend you their time) and the complexity of your images can grow with your portfolio.

good luck
x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Beyondyoda
You are right up to a point that some certain images we see (say some big name photographers) require a lot of money to pull off. I've equally, seen – and post processed – some amazing photography done on a pittance and with Canons, Nikons, whatever – no necessarily the Hassys and PhaseOnes.

Yes, there are a lot of things required to achieve a certain look, but money is not necessarily one of them. I'd say that to get a "clean" photo, more importantly the light needs to be spot on to start with, the composition needs to evoke something in the beholder. Then good post to finish it off.

See below. I think I did OK.

Dude2010 provided two images. Canon. For all I know it was him and the model in an old club toilet. I thought the original was a bit too dark, with plugged-in shadows and very monochromatic in a sense. High contrasts but nothing in between. So I challenged myself to find something in it to make it a "clean" photo. IMO, I did OK, see attachments.

Dude2010, a bit of friendly advice. Remember, when shooting fashion, generally the aim it to showcase the fashion; you NEED lights, low/high contrasts is fine but you need light to see dresses, pants, bags, ties, jewellery you name it...

Cheers!
I have been asked from someone to do a photoshoot of him, now i really don't know how to do because i don't have any lighting assistant and no make-up and no retoucher, so i don't know how to shoot him at the best, don't know what concepts i should work with, what ideas to start with, poses, expressions,... etc. I don't want to end up with shots which are so so and then even with retouching it is not on par, so if you were in my place, what you will do or how to shoot him? He said that he might bring few female models to join for shoot, i am not sure if i will do good enough with him alone, now females models as well, what tips and guide you can tell me to have clean and great images with them?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 AM

Tareq,
Sorry, I know very little about photography itself, however I've been working with photographers, Art Directors, clients etc for a while. My advice for your shoot is:
1. Find out who you're shooting - by who I mean, why you're shooting this person – famous singer, a business person, a politician. Then you need to match your shoot to the character of that person - this is playing it safe.
2. Who commissioned you for the shoot? Normally they might have a few ideas about how they want the final product to look like. Listen to them carefully.
3. I can't speak about light set up – totally ignorant about that. SymbolPhoto has posted this video about his latest self-portrait: http://vimeo.com/16556531. There he separates himself from the background by lighting it separately. This gives the image a lot of depth.
4. Finally if you're nervous about shooting one subject, please skip the female models, shooting a group is definitely more difficult.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Tareq,
Sorry, I know very little about photography itself, however I've been working with photographers, Art Directors, clients etc for a while. My advice for your shoot is:
1. Find out who you're shooting - by who I mean, why you're shooting this person – famous singer, a business person, a politician. Then you need to match your shoot to the character of that person - this is playing it safe.
2. Who commissioned you for the shoot? Normally they might have a few ideas about how they want the final product to look like. Listen to them carefully.
3. I can't speak about light set up – totally ignorant about that. SymbolPhoto has posted this video about his latest self-portrait: http://vimeo.com/16556531. There he separates himself from the background by lighting it separately. This gives the image a lot of depth.
4. Finally if you're nervous about shooting one subject, please skip the female models, shooting a group is definitely more difficult.

Cheers!
It is personal, the person is not famous and not a pro, he is just a senior, i think he is a student, and he likes to be a model, so not sure what he is looking for, and if he asked me to think about ideas or concepts then what i should do?

About lighting, i told him we will do outdoor shoot, so i will depend on one light or two, so i may not have the workability and flexibility to achieve different looks then, and if those female models joining then for sure the assignment will be more difficult.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2010, 06:27 PM

Referring to the OP's original questions & links, here's my guesses:

http://1x.com//photos/documentary/31181/
Definitely not natural light. (But the key to good lighting often is to make it LOOK as if it was natural). The main lightsource (softbox?) seems to be pretty down low, which can be seen at the knee's shadow going upwards on the body itself. Maybe a good reflector on the right as well, to 'open up' shadows.
If you google the photographer's name you'll find other photos with a similar style. On a few of them the post processing is a bit more abvious (vignetting / dodging and burning)

http://1x.com//photos/documentary/32558/
This could've been done with natural light only – not sure. But it would have to have been a perfect scenario. The color rendition reminds me a little bit of 4x5" film. (Have a look at Joel Meyerowitz's photography – awesome color renditions. Most (if not all?) of his stuff is large format camera).

http://1x.com//photos/everyday/17355/
Looks really crisp! If I didn't know the photographer's comments I'd think it's a 3d rendering! So: quite some intensive retouching – just look how CLEAN the ship is!
It looks as if the ship could have been masked and then a gradient mask/selection coming in over the far end of the sea (and maybe also the sky?) to selectively lower the contrast and create some "misty" kind of look. That would have quite abig impact on the image as a whole, I think. Often, it's a lot of small things that make a huge impact on the image.

http://1x.com//photos/everyday/23641/
Head/Portrait: Natural daylight, sunlight straight from above (i.e: mid-day / kind of close to ecuator). Very good exposure, because the highlights & shadows are full of detail. Possibly a tiny bit of fill from a matte reflector, but I don't think so.
Background: either a full "composited in" job, or a lot of colour-grading and dodging&burning with a soft mask. Think about it: the background looks orange/brown. But that kind of colour only happens during the morning/evening hours, OR it could be some dust/smoke on a sandy desert background. Either way, it goes dark towards the bottom: post-processing for sure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM

This clean enough for you?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/DaWiel/Test_1.jpg

Original:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...t_1_Before.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Cheers!
Heck... if he won't take the PSD, I'd sure love to take a peek at it. Some nice work there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
And why Canon doesn't making the optics sharp?
In order to keep costs low obviously..!?

-I have THE 100mm IS macro MKII (i think, well the newest) it's suppose to be THE sharpest lens canon made - ever! Properly it is - but when I compare it to my old analog Hasselblad T* shots I can see what sharp means...!! Just the weight of these freaking Carl Zeiss lenses says it all. But this is not the idea behind this thread, so I'll leave it at that..
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Sharp clean photo? You need LIGHT!
Check this guy http://www.williamwadman.com/
Video http://www.vimeo.com/16627418

No good light and no post-processing will do...
To me dark or 0% info black-black - is a way of creating drama. Up untill now, I shoot what most people where to see as underexposed for this to happen. But I might just think, this is not the way to do it. At times I actually only filled 2/3 of the histogram. And that proberly is too small an amount of info. But then yet again, take a look at this one: (and of cause mediafire won't work now, I'll do an edit tomorrow.)

But perhaps I can turn this around, and let the post people post us some pictures that from the start is spot on to work with - that also has high contrast lighting? That would be nice to see! Make everyones job easier in the long term perhaps..
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondyoda View Post
These are the types of images being spoken about:
www.augustbradley.com

It's done with 1. Hasselblad 2. hours of D&B 3. excellent lighting 4. excellent models 5. excellent pre-shoot, among other things. Good Luck
In my wet dreams, I wish for clients cool enough to put up with the dollars to make this happen! The images are not that special really - but some of the post is really nice!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching