Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how to make a "clean" photo?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Re: how to make a "clean" photo?

Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post

Do you still want the PSD for this?
I have no idea to why I did not receive the notice of new posts here, before now!?

You did ok, with some minor tweeks, we could surely get in sync.
To me the skin is too artificial, to little texture and too light. But again, that's how I like it.
A warm "metallic glowing" skintone, would have been nice I think.

And the blackchannel going off to some color, hasn't that stoped again?

I would love to see the PSD for this one, sure!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
Now we are talking!!

I'm thinking the colornoise on neck and shadow area is
A. A later fix.
B. A web+jpg problem?

Skin has f..... nice texture and everything!
A round of heavier makeup and some overall awesome "glow/look" and you'll hit the homerun!

This is a ultra quick one, but it might work...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 10:42 PM

Cool. I've had a couple of requests from other members for this file. As you mentioned, the image was a bit underexposed and I thought it was a bit to "monochromatic" for my personal taste. So I felt like I wanted to cool it up and bring about a lot of controlled blue into it as well as making that dress pop.

This is my own creative vision for this particular image on the day I did it. Here I've taken a lot more liberties that I normally would with some clients – something I rarely get to do, so it was fun. Part of this exercise is to show that a lot goes into the making of a image – from a post point of view.

The file is a CS5 zipped PSD (about 120MB compressed), 8-bit, reduced to about a third of the original size. All layers and visual aids intact. The "Retouched" layer is where I do all my cloning/healing/small DB etc all at the same time. I do all of this on this layer – I rarely use a lot of separate layers for this, since I hate having to switch layers when I'm on "fix mode". I know it's not very non-destructive, but it works for me – it saves me time and reduces file size. Setting this "Retouched" layer to Difference will show all that was done to it.

Most of the masking is done in a very controlled way with luminosity/saturation/colour masks.
The "Retouched" layer was created by merging three conversions of the RAW: one for the talent, one for the background and one for the dress. Masked and merged. This layer was straightened up and scaled up a tad to improve composition. A very light LIQ on the jutting shoulder.

The red layers are for visual help only – if you leave the 50% grey visual aid layer on, and turn on/off individual groups above, you'll be able to see what those do. The solar curve helps me "see" while cloning, healing, dodging and burning, etc.

Juice Box asked about how long it took: about 4hrs.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, I might not be able to answer them – I'm not very technically minded: I "use" PS but I don't "know" PS. A lot of the things I do, I've learned by trial, error, using it or from colleagues over the years – so I might not know why something does what it does. And there are always a myriad ways to achieve the same results in PS.
Of course, this is not gospel. What works for one image might not work for another!

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 AM

I get this when I try to download the file: "This file is currently set to private. "
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching