RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

less than one pixel stroke?

Old 10-20-2010, 03:48 PM

less than one pixel stroke?

I am making some thumbnails for a website. The thumbnails are 40 by 60 pixels. As some of the thumbnails are of products set against a white background I need to separate them from the also white color of the web page they will appear on. I am applying a one pixel black stroke to the outer borders of the thumbnails, but the stroke looks too big. My question is if it is possible to stroke a selection less than one pixel in photoshop? Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 PM

Re: less than one pixel stroke?

Less than one pixel would only be 0 pixels.
But you can use a gray value that is lighter than black and therefore recreate the effect of a "semi-pixel".
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Thank you, Jonas. Yeah I am lowering the opacity of my black one pixel strokes, but they still look too big. I guess I can spare one pixel for the greyish black border.

Last edited by Caravaggio; 10-20-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 04:54 PM

caravaggio I wouldn't work directly on thumbnails. Use a full size image, then do what you have to do, then resize to 40x60 when the work is done. Saying this, i dont think gif or png can deal with transparency at such a low resolution. Hmmm... Do the thumbnails really have to be transparent?

Last edited by kevinashworth; 10-20-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 05:06 PM

how about upsize 200%, apply stoke 1px, downsize to original
or just add shadow instead of a stroke, or maybe outerglow
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Starting with a full size image, if you're using photoshop, go image>canvas size, choose percent and type in a percentage you want to reduce to e.g. 10%. If you need to seperate the white background of your thumbnails from the web page background then bear in mind that jpegs do not support transparency.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 PM

Kevinasworth, I am not making the images transparent or at least I don't think I am. I am saving them as jpegs using save for web. What you say about making a one pixel border on the original and then resizing for the web makes sense to me as the stroke will probably appear to be smaller.

Shadowlight, if I upsize and then downsize won't the overall quality of the image deteriorate? The black stoke may look good, but the over-all quality of the thumbnail itself will deteriorate? The layer style thing does sound good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Kevinasworth, I am not making the images transparent or at least I don't think I am. I am saving them as jpegs using save for web. What you say about making a one pixel border on the original and then resizing for the web makes sense to me as the stroke will probably appear to be smaller.

Shadowlight, if I upsize and then downsize won't the overall quality of the image deteriorate? The black stoke may look good, but the over-all quality of the thumbnail itself will deteriorate? The layer style thing does sound good.
you can always mask the original back on (do the resize thing on a smart object)
but personally I think the "shadow" or other styling will give you better results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 07:39 PM

So the layer style you are suggesting is an inner shadow turned into a smart object?

Thumbnails are all so complicated for me as they usually have a different height to width ratio than the original as usually want to decrease the amount of white background as well as make the product larger in the thumbnail for the sake of visibility. I usually end up doing a copy merged visible of the large original image and then turning it into a smart object. I then create a tiny 40 x 60 pixel new document and drag the copy merged layer over to the thumbnail. I then free transform the dragged over layer so that it looks good as a 40 x 60 pixel image. I guess I will also have to drag over another layer that has the inner shadow layer style applied to it and then free transform it so that it fits in the new document size and then mask out the layer so that only the layer style appears? Does this sound like a good workflow?

Last edited by Caravaggio; 10-20-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 PM

you can apply styles directly on the smart object
the attached file has "drop shadow"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg interface_thumb.jpg (7.3 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching