RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

B&W or color for retouched image

Old 11-16-2010, 02:43 PM

Re: B&W or color for retouched image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
I couldn't help to notice the original has a signature and the retouched doesn't.

It makes it look like you removed the photographer's signature which makes it look like you didn't have permission to edit it, nor a RAW file to work with. Which makes you look very bad.

I don't like assuming things so...
Why does the original have a signature?

x
Hmm well spotted... sig does look like 'Klam' though or is that my eyes going funny?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Color.
The b&w could be nicer if the shadows weren't so plugged up on the left side of her face.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 05:55 PM

Dear Natalia,

That's my sig in the original since I am the photographer. I also have the sig in lower left corner of retouch. Yes I worked the RAW file. I'm dying to know how to find out if someone didn't have the original RAW, please tell me?

Why signature? Because I posted a large enough resolution that people might use without my permission for practice. But we all know that good photoshoper can remove sigs. But people usually have ethics and not use others work without permission. Then why post such a large picture? Because I don't like to hide my retouches by only showing small resolution images. A lot of retouches look great when viewed at small resolution and I want to show my images larger to see the details and issues.

Would you like proof this is my image and I own all the rights to it since the model signed a full model release? I can provide a raw of the same girl but of a different image for those who want practice.

Don't assume because it makes an ASS out of U and ME.
Now I sound like an ass having to defend myself.

edit- if you look at the original and the retouched the signature is exactly the same. Oh wait there's more, The B&W version also has the same sig on her cloth strap.

Quote:
I couldn't help to notice the original has a signature and the retouched doesn't.

It makes it look like you removed the photographer's signature which makes it look like you didn't have permission to edit it, nor a RAW file to work with. Which makes you look very bad.

x

Last edited by klam; 11-16-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2010, 06:54 PM

OMG Why so sensitive??? so called "retouchers" use other people's images all the time I wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those cases.

I honestly didn't see the signature in the retouch because I only looked at the B&W version of it.

If you're the photographer, you have nothing to worry about jeeezz....

Having a go at me for an honest mistake?

I'm sorry for not seeing the signature in the color version of the retouch retouch and wanting to protect the photographer IF this was one of those cases

If you sound like an ass is not because of defending yourself.

You could have said: "It's my picture and my signature (Look at the retouch)" and then make a joke like "She doesn't really spot everything :P "

It's a very common thing to do for people in forums to have no respect for copyright and I hate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam View Post
Dear Natalia,

That's my sig in the original since I am the photographer. I also have the sig in lower left corner of retouch. Yes I worked the RAW file. I'm dying to know how to find out if someone didn't have the original RAW, please tell me?

Why signature? Because I posted a large enough resolution that people might use without my permission for practice. But we all know that good photoshoper can remove sigs. But people usually have ethics and not use others work without permission. Then why post such a large picture? Because I don't like to hide my retouches by only showing small resolution images. A lot of retouches look great when viewed at small resolution and I want to show my images larger to see the details and issues.

Would you like proof this is my image and I own all the rights to it since the model signed a full model release? I can provide a raw of the same girl but of a different image for those who want practice.

Don't assume because it makes an ASS out of U and ME.
Now I sound like an ass having to defend myself.

edit- if you look at the original and the retouched the signature is exactly the same. Oh wait there's more, The B&W version also has the same sig on her cloth strap.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 PM

I prefer the B&W version for just one reason - it has more skin texture which was killed in color version. Though, B&W is oversharpened which gives it a dirty look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
OMG Why so sensitive??? so called "retouchers" use other people's images all the time I wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those cases.
Accusing someone of theft is a serious issue where I live. And you didn't have proof and just assumed . I have every right to be sensitive especially if you are going to announce theft publicly.

Why would I joke about something as serious as theft when being accused.
You could of sent me a private message about your accusation but decided it was a public matter. So I took it seriously and responded back.

Quote:
If you're the photographer, you have nothing to worry about jeeezz...
Even tho I'm the photographer I still have to clear my name since the accusation was made public.

Quote:
You could have said: "It's my picture and my signature (Look at the retouch)" and then make a joke like "She doesn't really spot everything :P "
I don't know you to make a joke about you. That would be in bad taste.

Quote:
I'm sorry for not seeing the signature in the color version of the retouch...If you sound like an ass is not because of defending yourself.
But your not sorry for falsely accusing me of theft? heh. I was raised to own up to my mistakes, you know, accountability for my actions. And to apologize when I wronged someone.

To me, you sound like an ass too for not apologizing when you have wronged me.

Quote:
It's a very common thing to do for people in forums to have no respect for copyright and I hate it
And that is also reason for my harsh response. I'm not one to disrespect copyrights. As a photographer, copyrights are a big deal. And calling a photog a thief is probably the worst thing to be called.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
And calling a photog a thief is probably the worst thing to be called.
I didn't. I said: It looks like... and then I stated:

Quote:
As I said... this happens very often, that's why I felt the need to ask. JUST IN CASE

Maybe you're not very used to forums? That's why you felt the need to spam my inbox with this issue?

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
To me, you sound like an ass too for not apologizing when you have wronged me.
Klam, I'm not trying to take sides here, but even if Natalia made a mistake that you found embarrassing, do consider her interest was in protecting the copyright of you, the photographer.

If she had in fact talked down to someone who'd disrespected your copyright you'd probably be darn glad about it -- I know I would. So you can hang her for poor execution if you want, but her intentions were absolutely in the right.

Take a deep breath, your honor is still intact, unless you go about damaging it by overreacting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Klam, I'm not trying to take sides here, but even if Natalia made a mistake that you found embarrassing, do consider her interest was in protecting the copyright of you, the photographer.

If she had in fact talked down to someone who'd disrespected your copyright you'd probably be darn glad about it -- I know I would. So you can hang her for poor execution if you want, but her intentions were absolutely in the right.

Take a deep breath, your honor is still intact, unless you go about damaging it by overreacting.
I would go about it by sending a note to the owner of the image and let him know that his image was being used by another. He would then decide what to do. That's how it has been in the past with image theft. It's just not right to assume someone is a thief without getting all the facts and evidence.

What if she did talk down to someone that had used my image who had every right to use it because I gave that person permission? Wouldn't be better to let the copywrite holder know first so there is no assumption or misunderstanding?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 PM

Yes, Klam, I think you both could have handled it differently.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching