RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

can you retouch with a mouse?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:19 AM

Re: can you retouch with a mouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSutherland View Post
When I try using tablets I always feel stuck...
It's a new tool and as such u need time to adjust. Just disconnect the mouse and do all your regular stuff with the tablet - browse websites, play games (this really helps) use photoshop for minor things and DON'T CHEAT ust use the tablet and you'll get used to it in a week

Quote:
lately my wrist has been getting really sore and I think it might be due to overuse of the mouse, do tablets help that sort of thing?
Yes... but something always hurt when you're a retoucher :P

Quote:
Natalia, you said you recommend the bamboo pen and touch, is that the one you use?
Yes I tested them all actually I could quote 4personnen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4personnen View Post
I tested some Wacoms of different sizes and found out that medium size is sufficient for my PS work (would be different for CAD work, or Painter work). A3 is really tedious as you make long stokes to cross your screen. At the end I bought a "pen and touch" as I don't need the tilt function in PS (different for other softwares) and the resolution is enough accurate for me.
Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4personnen View Post
Go in a proper shop, test them all, make your own idea.

Quote:
I've heard some designers laugh when you mention the bamboo products but your a professional and probably with more experience than them, do you have any negative thoughts about it?...it's cheap and small enough that I might consider it for practicing on.
A guy with a small dick big attitude is always going to tell you to buy a Porsche the biggest and the most expensive one!
But I'm a girl so I don't need the biggest and most expensive one

You get use to the tablet there (you already have it!) When you get use to the tablet as a tool you can compared them all and see which one fits you.

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post

A guy with a small dick big attitude is always going to tell you to buy a Porsche the biggest and the most expensive one!
But I'm a girl so I don't need the biggest and most expensive one

You get use to the tablet there (you already have it!) When you get use to the tablet as a tool you can compared them all and see which one fits you.

x

i really like worked for 3 months now on a intuos wacom..it really relaxed my wrist from tensions
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 02:12 PM

DSutherland: you will get pain in your wrist with tablet also
but the pen will help with correct position of your hand
natural position is with your thumb up, using a mouse will force you to rotate the hand to handle the mouse
all depends on your hand/body position and posture and hand movement
try to move your hand from the elbow and not the wrist, wrist is delicate joint
try to build muscle on you forearm and hand
if your pain is constant visit a medic and maybe he will recommend a splint to restrict same movement of your hand
i use to have a bad pain in my hand but i build/use a splint and pain is ok now
the splint help me control and restrict rotation of the hand from forearm
also do not use full tablet size - remap active surface to a small part of the tablet
this will reduce the movement you need to make to cover large part of the screen
you will get more accurate in time with this
i hope will help
good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resizeimage_send.jpg (2.9 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 PM

Wow, everyone had some great replies here.
I am living in Japan right now and one of their 8 story electronics stores (Yodobashi Camera) has everything from professional moniters to tablets of all shapes and sizes for you to play and experiment with...I'm moving back to Canada next week though so maybe I'll go in there this week and see which one is the best fit.
I think I remember a post on here a long time ago about a flash game thats really good for improving your pen/mouse skills.
Thanks for the advice everyone...and the humorous remarks :P
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
Can you paint with a brick?
Ha ha - spot on!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengel View Post
Ha ha - spot on!

I only started using a tablet a year ago

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
I only started using a tablet a year ago

x
It took me a very long time before I went to a tablet - (also just a couple of years ago) - but being an artist I found the pen incredibly intuitive and immediately thought "what was I waiting for?". My technique and quality of work improved almost immediately.

I sometimes go from my MacBook and try to use finger gestures on my desktop's tablet unconsciously, DOH! LOL

Now I'm looking at the Magic Trackpad - wondering how cool that might be? Wireless too. Maybe not for fine detailed work but for many things it could be a real stressless bonus. Worth a try and probably the next thing on my list to buy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 PM

I get asked this question everyday. Everyone here has answered it. Anyway, I'll give you the same spill.

You do not need a tablet. If you can't draw with a pen to paper you certainly wont be able to draw on a tablet.

If or when you buy one. Lock up your mouse for a week and force yourself to get used to the tablet. The hardest part is recognising that your tablet area is mapped to the dimensions of the monitor. So, you don't 'push' the cursor around your screen like you do with a mouse. If you want the top left of the screen you position the pen in the same location on your tablet and the cursor will jump to that location. I see people when they first try our tablets out attempting to 'push' the cursor around. Young kids tend to get used to them quicker than adults. I guess this is due to the fact that they haven't been using a mouse for 15+ years.

The main advantages of using a wacom tablet;

- They're pressure sensitive. So, if you would like to control opacity or the size of your brush stroke with how hard you press your pen on the tablet you can do so. (Intuos4 has 2048 levels or pressure. Bamboo has 1024.)
- Ergonomic. Yes, you will still probably get a sore hand if you retouch for hours on end. Its a little like writing a 10 page essay at school and your hand aching afterwards. It is still better then a sore wrist from elevating your hand to hold a mouse.
- Access to common shortcuts at your fingertips. Depending on which tablet you go for, either the Intuos or the Bamboo. Intuos4 has 8 expresskeys which you can customise to whatever you want PER APPLICATION (this means it will remember you shortcuts in what ever application you're in.) The Bamboo has 4 keys which are universal, which means if you set one key to "v" for the move tool in PS you could essentially type "v" by pressing the same key in Microsoft word.

There is plenty more to say but I fear that I'm boring people. The team at Wacom America have made heaps of useful videos at www.youtube.com/wacom so go check it out.

I guess you can read and watch all the information you can about these things but at the end of the day you'll want to try one out. Here in Australia we have them in heaps of retail outlets. Not sure where you're from but I'm sure that if you look hard enough you'll find one to try somewhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 12:23 AM

I have always used a mouse, but I bought a wacom tablet at photoshop world in vegas this year.

I find often I will open photoshop and be half way through an image, i look down and im still using the mouse! Although I am pretty proficient with my mouse and keyboard commands so I forget the use the tablet. So it hasnt had as much of an effect on me. I love using though and somethings are a bit easier and quicker.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 03:59 AM

Hoping that this will not disturb the creator of this topic, i would like to ask a related question:
Do you have some prior drawing or painting skills before starting with Photo Shop Retouching? I find that most of the best retouchers i know have great talent in drawing, painting, one of them was even a tattooist. If so, is this an essential talent? Can someone be a good retoucher without any drawing skills whatsoever?
Thank you for your replies,
Ionel
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching