Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

can you retouch with a mouse?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Re: can you retouch with a mouse?

My hands are quite shaky from a familial tremblor that comes on with age. Being 74 it has started with me. I wonder if it is to late for me to try one out. Could it possibly be beneficial to me. I don't work on this stuff 8 hours a day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 PM

Gunner, i believe the mouse is your number 1 enemy at this point. I guess a tablet makes one's life easier at any age. : )
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 PM

I am still fiddling with a mouse. I sometimes wonder how much faster I would be if I had a Wacom. Thinking of getting one, but afraid I'll have to spend all this time learning to use it when I have still so much else to learn about photoshop itself, and not enough time to learn it in. I think the mouse is killing my shoulders. With all the comments about time saving I am putting on my list even before a new tripod which I badly need.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM

Hmm... someone revived this thread, and yet no one has commented on logistics of doing so that I can really see. If you're doing anything like this with a mouse, make sure any cursor acceleration is turned off completely, and adjust the mapping speed of the mouse to where it feels comfortable. This should be pretty low for optimal precision. Now try a few exercises. Draw a circle, triangle, square, and print your name on paper, then do the same in an image editing program using the mouse and compare your results. These are a pretty decent ballpark indication of how it will feel. If it's too difficult relative to doing it on paper then this is going to turn into a futile effort given that these are rudimentary actions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Just went through the forum a bit and wanted to add some words here.

I am very comfortable with my early 2008 MBP trackpad. yes, trackpad. I bought the computer and a mouse. never used the mouse though! I could make my paths nicely, retouch blemishes, adjust colors. just with the trackpad.

I also had a small A6 Sapphire tablet, nice blue and with glitter. just perfect for a girl
But I did not used it often.

But now, now I own an Intuos 4 medium and it is just great. Especially since I found out mora about dodge and burn.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 PM

I use nothing but a regular old mouse.

Never tried a tablet, I'm sure I'd like it. But in answer to mattp's question: Yes, you absolutely can retouch with a mouse.

SEP Studios Retouching
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2011, 03:45 PM

I have both. BUT is is totally acceptable to use a mouse as long as you use a lower painting opacity on your brushes...12% for the faces, 4% for shadow areas, 6% for applying makeup and maybe up to 30% brush opacity for fast work.

Its the fact that you have to go over and over the area 5 or 6 times with this low opacity technique that makes the technique work. No single mouse stroke makes much of an impact...but when combines with the close strokes of other passes...then the edges become soft, smooth, blended and not harsh.

Many professional retouchers here in NYC use a mouse all day.

Its up to your preferences in the just saying that the high end pros have no issues with low opacity mousing.

Retouch Trainer
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 AM

I have both but hate the tablet, I occasionally bust it out for a bit of D&B but in the main use the mouse for all other Photoshop uses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2011, 11:17 AM

I skimmed this thread to find out more about the Bamboo tablets.
I've had a Intuos 2 and an Intuos 4 medium for the past couple of years.
I don't use the express keys (I tried but...), and I don't take full advantage of the 2048 levels of sensitivity.
My Intous 4 is acting up, not sure if its hardware or software - so I may be in the market for a new tablet. I'm curious if anyone is using the latest Bamboo tablets and what you think of them, especially compared to the Intuos line?

--Shift Studio.

Edit: I now see a thread dedicated to this question. Will post there.

Last edited by shift studio; 11-11-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2011, 02:48 PM

I had to use a mouse again this morning for a couple of quick touch ups. What takes me 20 seconds with a Wacom must have taken me a good few minutes with a mouse. Felt so odd! Much more noise too, all that bleedin' clicking

Regarding the Intuos/Bamboo for me the difference is the pen. The Intuos range just feels much better to use for longer periods of time (IMO), and whilst I've never had to use a Bamboo for any great length of time (By which I'm talking years) I don't know how they stand the test of time. Intuos seem to go on indefinitely though, they're quite remarkable bits of kit.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching