RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

can you retouch with a mouse?

Old 10-21-2010, 03:50 AM

can you retouch with a mouse?

All,

Can pro quality photo re-touching be done with a mouse or would I need a tablet at some point?

Also, if you need a tablet, do you need to be able to draw proficiently or is it simple something most people can learn with practice?

Thanks
Matt
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 04:24 AM

Re: can you retouch with a mouse?

Hi! As everyone I assume, I started with a mouse...but eventually bought a Wacom (it's second one now). I cannot draw properly, so it's not the point, but if I had to use, let's say, the pen tool, with the mouse, to me it's simply impossible. For the other tools, it's just like playing violin with a boxing glove: painful, tedious, inefficient, but still possible with a lot of practice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 05:47 AM

you can do it with a mouse but it is a lot more tedious and time consuming, I find the pen more of a natural way for my hand to move. The mouse always seemed an unnatural hand position. Plus why wouldn't you want to use the most up-to-date tools available for your profession.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 AM

Buy a tablet. It will make your life much easier and save you on chiropractic bills. They are very simple to use. My three year old uses my old tablet and usually chooses this instead of a mouse.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 AM

I started with a mouse and just got a tablet 2 years ago.

My DVD was done entirely with a mouse to show ppl that you don't NEED a tablet to be good. And a tablet will not make you a good retoucher.

If you can afford it GO FOR IT - it's easier to retouch with a tablet and I personally recommend Bamboo Fun (Pen and touch) But it's a really personal choice I'd try them all before you make a decision.

When you do, disconnect your mouse for a week so you get used to it

Good luck and have fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 AM

There are very accomplished artists and photoshoppers who use nothing but the touch pad on their laptops. I personally use both the mouse (wireless) and a tablet and frequently switch back and forth, depending on what tool I am using. I would rate a tablet as something very nice to have, but it is not absolutely necessary. Start with something inexpensive (<$100) and if you need something better, upgrade once your skills justify it.

Being able to draw is always beneficial, but the need for it depends on what kind of imaging you want to do.

Todd
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Can you paint with a brick? I have always used an A3 Wacom.... Works great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 PM

I'm thinking about a tablet but have become really proficient with a mouse. When I try using tablets I always feel stuck...lately my wrist has been getting really sore and I think it might be due to overuse of the mouse, do tablets help that sort of thing?
Natalia, you said you recommend the bamboo pen and touch, is that the one you use? I have one sitting in a box in my living room but haven't played with it (it's my soon to be father-laws)...I've heard some designers laugh when you mention the bamboo products but your a professional and probably with more experience than them, do you have any negative thoughts about it?...it's cheap and small enough that I might consider it for practicing on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 04:36 AM

I tested some Wacoms of different sizes and found out that A6 or A5 is sufficient for my PS work (would be different for CAD work, or Painter work). A3 is really tedious as you make long stokes to cross your screen. At the end I bought a "pen and touch" as I don't need the tilt function in PS (different for other softwares) and the resolution is enough accurate for me. I used Painter in my old days and my old A6 Wacom was not enough for that job but I always been happy with that size in Photoshop. I also had the chance to see and draw few lines on a Cintiq and to me and for my purpose it doesn't worth the money involved. It's all a question of what you need and not what other professional use. Some people work in an environment where budget is not an issue and get the high standard stuff from their boss when they actually don't really need it. Go in a proper shop, test them all, make your own idea.

PS: In Britain there are sometimes workshops from Wacom in selected shops, from time to time. It's a real occasion for testing the products. Can't see something like that in Canada from their site, but maybe worth a try to drop them a line to see where their products are featured properly near you.

Last edited by 4personnen; 10-22-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 AM

one piece of advice, use the mouse that comes with the tablets for regular computer stuff to save wear on your pen tips. I plow through tips if I only use the pen.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching