RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

remove shadowing

Old 10-25-2010, 10:22 AM

remove shadowing

Hello all,

I have this image which I have cropped and hacked a bit to remove unwanted people in the background. I am now trying to remove the shadowing that runs diagonally across this image. I have read numerous threads about overlay layers, curves but I am relatively new to this. I have CS5 (well it's on my brothers computer who is away overseas) and I am struggling big time.

Any ideas - and step by step instructions please.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.5 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 11:53 AM

Re: remove shadowing

Create a curve's layer and bring up the brightness and then create a layer mask. CMD+I or CRTL+I to invert the layer and then type B to bring up your brush. Set it to default white at a low flow/opacity and start coloring over the shadows. Make sure you're coloring over the masked layer.

You can also try making a new layer, setting it to soft light and then color with white set to a very low flow/opacity and color over the shadows.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Hi

Thanks for quick reply. I tried your first suggestion and I quickly understood the concept and it did go some way to reducing the shadow. The more I work on this and from reading posts here it might be that what I am actually wanting is beyond anything I can do. I was wondering am I looking at this the wrong way. Would it be better to 'darken' the light areas then lift the overall exposure. I suppose what I want is 'even' lighting over my subject. A little background, he is my uncle and passed away unexpectedly last week. This photo was taken at his son's wedding only 4 days before his passing. It is the only photo that I took of him (lots of others but in big group) so want something really nice to give to my Aunt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM

I see, how unfortunate. As far as your process, I'd say work on the shadows first. If you darken the highlights and then increase their exposure, you're just adding in another step!

I'm not sure on the quality of the photo you have posted but for future reference, shooting in RAW will give you more leniency when adjusting exposure.

Try this, use your lasso tool (any type will do) and set the feathering to say, 20 pixels. If you feel the feathering isn't smooth enough, look at the top tool bar and click on "refine edge". This will allow you to further adjust the smoothness and feathering of your selection.

Duplicate your background layer and while the shadows are still selected, apply a curves or levels adjustment layer and bring up the brightness and shadows. This may be a more crude way but I've found it has its place.

The easiest way you can go is what I mentioned earlier. Increase the overall exposure of the image, mask it and paint over the shadows. Depending on your photo's resolution, how many times it has been saved and adjustments you've already applied, will determine the success of these adjustments. Always make a duplicate of the background so you don't find yourself starting all over again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 PM

Hi there,

Sorry for your loss.
I thought I might be able to assist with your image.

I fiddled with it for a bit and attached an improved version as a sample. If you'd like to learn how to achieve that, I could make a video tutorial on youtube. I'm guessing you don't have a higher resolution version of this image. To that end, I spent a lot of time recreating texture to replace the pixels that were showing up.

Since this is a sample, I didn't go all out to make the image really good but I think you get the idea.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fix-shadow.jpg (98.1 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 PM

Thanks for your work guys. I am very impressed.

Bro Photo - I have pasted your info on my 'tutorial list' and even though I thought I did a good enough job, I know I have a lot more to learn.

designer74 - I really appreciate your effort and comparing what you have done there I would love to learn how you achieved it on my sample. I shoot in raw so have a very large original file that I would love for someone to help with. I am running out of time to play as I have been helping out with preparations as well as juggling my business. I would rather spend time and get it right and give it to her later on (funeral is tomorrow).

The other thing I cant get my head around is the actual printing. I use a retail store but the sizing has always puzzled me. For this photo I want to print as large as I can but want to preserve as much quality as possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 11:48 PM

hi riahon,

if you have a higher res version of the file, you can email it to me at designer74@gmail.com

i'll try to find time to make a video tutorial on how to salvage the image using your image and can send you the finished product.

As for printing, I am a designer/printer at my local photo lab here in NY so based on the size of the completed file I can suggest the best print size without losing quality.

Hope that helps.
Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 02:06 AM

here's a low res correction before and after from raw file

will send the hi res by email

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fix-shadow2.jpg (99.5 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 06:37 PM

Thank you so much designer74 for working on my image - received, printed and ready for presenting tonight. This has been an unbelievably wonderful experience and result from my first question posted on this website. Thanks also to BP for some great tips which has helped me understand even more the workings of photoshop.

cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 08:50 PM

I'm glad everything worked out for you despite the unfortunate event. Hope all is well!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching