RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High Pass Sharpening Help

Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 AM

Re: High Pass Sharpening Help

Thanks for the video and explanation, I can't wait to give them a try when I get home from work tonight
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
The High Pass sharpened layer is done with a rigid set of parameters and the only way you can adjust it is too clip a Curve Adj layer to it and play with the contrast.
Really?

I do agree that Smart Sharpen is a better algorithm in most cases, but I have a lot of reservations about the statement above.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerser View Post
Really?

I do agree that Smart Sharpen is a better algorithm in most cases, but I have a lot of reservations about the statement above.
Sean, I probably could have phrased the statement differently so I will take another spin. Performing a frequency separation and using the High Frequency / Accurate High Pass layer (GB turned off) will give you the exact same result as the Unsharp Mask filter performed at the same radius with the amount = 100, Threshold = 0. That is one fixed set of parameters for the accurate high pass for that one chosen radius. The USM filter by itself has a preview window and the Threshold and Amount sliders provide considerable additional lattitude. Assuming the filter is run on a copy (or merged copy) layer that's only one extra layer instead of two. When you add a contrast adjustment curve on top of the High Pass layer you now have three layers (or two if you delete the GB layer). The Smart Sharpen Filter takes the process up a notch in flexibilty and results.
Sean, what advantages do you see using HighPass sharpening over the sharpening filters?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Sean, I probably could have phrased the statement differently so I will take another spin. Performing a frequency separation and using the High Frequency / Accurate High Pass layer (GB turned off) will give you the exact same result as the Unsharp Mask filter performed at the same radius with the amount = 100, Threshold = 0. That is one fixed set of parameters for the accurate high pass for that one chosen radius. The USM filter by itself has a preview window and the Threshold and Amount sliders provide considerable additional lattitude. Assuming the filter is run on a copy (or merged copy) layer that's only one extra layer instead of two. When you add a contrast adjustment curve on top of the High Pass layer you now have three layers (or two if you delete the GB layer). The Smart Sharpen Filter takes the process up a notch in flexibilty and results.
Sean, what advantages do you see using HighPass sharpening over the sharpening filters?
Regards, Murray
Murray -

Using a FS-based approach doesn't mean you need either to go through the GB process nor do you need to keep the 'LF' layer if you do. And while one such an approach does require the retention of an additional Adjustment Layer in the file, that layer contributes very little to the actual filesize (unless you go crazy with the mask), while affording you an additional level of control over the sharpening which USM won't give you out of the box. That is, where % and threshold determine how much to apply and when to apply, by adding a masked curve to control the effect, we can choose what to enhance (the mask), when to sharpen [mask, Blend-If, the Curve itself], how much to sharpen (opacity / fill), and what blending model we want to sharpen with (blend mode). Of course, nothing says that Curves is the only clipping option at that, nor that we can use only one.

So while it's certainly not the swiss army knife of sharpening, it's not strictly limited either, and I only mean to keep the creative options open for approaching each problem. Sometimes SS is the better tool, sometimes USM, and sometimes FS - it just depends on what you need to do and what modalities are open to you at the time.

Hope that makes sense.

Sean

Last edited by bakerser; 11-02-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Typos!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Patron

Sean, thanks. While not stated, I always apply a mask on the USM layer to control where and how much sharpening is applied. I do agree that the various blend modes applied to a great variety of curves and curve presets do allow for great considerable creative options. I have used Solarize curve presets in certain modes with either the HF or LF layer turned off to produce some interesting artistic effect. As for pure output sharpening, where its the last stage of a retouch flow, I tend to keep it simple, focused, and production oriented. I think both processes have their advantages and disadvantages, just like Smart Objects. As with so many options in Photoshop it is great to have the chice and flexibility.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
As with so many options in Photoshop it is great to have the chice and flexibility.
Regards, Murray
+1

Sean
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching