RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High Pass Sharpening Help

Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 PM

High Pass Sharpening Help

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums and I'm still trying to get the hang of things so if a thread like this has already been posted/answered then I apologize in advance for reposting the same topic again

I'm having some trouble with my high pass sharpening on portraits and figured someone on here could help me out.

I'm looking for something like this in terms of the final product

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5126964150/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5039845496/

I'm sure there is probably dodging & burning as well (which I've been doing and understand). But I can't for the life of me get the high pass to look as good as the photos above. I feel like I'm missing something. What I've been currently doing is a high pass on an overlay or soft light blending mode, but again I just feel like maybe I'm missing something here? Hopefully someone can help me out

And again I apologize if something like this has already been posted
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2010, 02:24 PM

Re: High Pass Sharpening Help

Hard to say without seeing your attempts and what you don't like about them. But the thing I notice from your target images is the masking, so that the sharpness is restricted from the background.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2010, 03:56 PM

keep to a small R for the HP
if needed increase the contrast on the HP layer
apply selectively
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2010, 04:15 PM

Read this: http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20357.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2010, 08:59 PM

Well, bear in mind that these photos have more then sharpening on them... And like Flashtones said, the artist did a selective sharpening there. You can use split frequencies to sharpen your images instead. Take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnLzsZN7VMo
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Patron

Nikeskate, part of your problem with High Pass sharpening is that you have no accurate control and the method is very inefficient. Perform a a frequency separation and delete or turn off the Gaussian Blur layer. Then on a new copy of the backgorund, do Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask chosing the same Radius value as you chose in the Frequency Separation, set the Amount to 100 and the Threshold to 0. If you now place this sharpened layer above the High Pass layer and change the blend mode to Difference, you will see that the two processes produce exactly the same results. The High Pass sharpened layer is done with a rigid set of parameters and the only way you can adjust it is too clip a Curve Adj layer to it and play with the contrast. You end up with 3 layers where you could get by with a single layer using Unsharp Mask Filter or even better the more powerful and flexible Filter > Sharpen > Smart Sharpen.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2010, 06:57 AM

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I wanted to thank everyone for helping me out.

Thank you for the links/videos, I'm gunna check them out today and hopefully it will help me out.

Mistermomday, thank you for the explanation, I really do appreciate it because I'll admit I don't know all the sharpening filters probably as well as I should so I'm going to go check out smart sharpen tonight and see if that will help me out
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 AM

And if you don't post an image everyone is guessing -

It's better for you to post an image so ppl can KnOW what the problem is instead of gussing.

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 AM

Godmother - I apologize for not posting an image I deff should have, I'm still new here and next time I'll post and image up

I'm basically just looking for any good portrait sharpen techniques and am prety much open to anything, but next time I'll post an image for sure
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 AM

Take into account the samples you provided have a lot of DOF - It's not enough to sharpen the subject if you don't have depth in the image

Try this

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/SmartDetail_SM.mov

If you don't have smart objects you won't get to visualize the effect but you can still do it, simply duplicate BG (or stamp: control +alt + shift+E) /blend Vivid light/run Surface blur
NOTEsettings of the surface blur depend on the image -- Don't look at the "blur" window look at the image and take into account everything that looks brighter than 50% gray will be dodged and everything that looks darker than 50% gray will be burned
Once the surface blur was applied create another stamp on top of that (control +alt + shift+E) / erase the other one (the one blended vivid light)/ blend the new stamp OVERLAY/SOFTLIGHT

NOTE2 This effect causes color banding some times so use carefully (you can desaturate areas with banding --clip a hue/saturation adj to this stamp, hide it and mask it back in over the areas that have banding-- and that will help)

NOTE3 Don't use the effect in the entire picture, mask it out and paint it where you want it then it will be smarter detail smile

Hope that helps you.

x
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching