RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get the Chris Crisman look?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:03 PM

Re: How to get the Chris Crisman look?

Pretty much what Klam said, this is how I'd word it:
Global adjustment: affecting the entire image, like an s-curve with no mask.
Local adjustment: confined to a part of the image, like dodging an iris. There can be more than one local adjustment on a single layer.

For this retouch, I did many global and local adjustments. I'll sit back, defocus my eyes a bit to allow my brain to percieve the image more abstactly, as shapes of value (dark/light) rather than a parts of a person, and I look for ways to improve the clarity of the composition.

In this image I needed much finer control of the values than a global curves adjustment could give me, so I used luminosity masking for additional control. I'd select highlights of the image then apply a curve. This way I can dedicate that curve entirely to controlling highlights without worrying about it mucking up the shadows. To select the highlights (by highlights I mean areas that are brighter than 50% grey), control+click on the composite rgb channel. Once you have that selection, create a new curves adjustment layer and the luminosity mask will be created automatically. You can run curves on the mask itself for finer control of the selected values.

Now that you have all this control, you need to practice using the value to lead the eye and improving the composition. For example, I wanted to direct the viewers eye up towards the face and not towards the stomach - a local adjustment is needed. I clicked
quick mask,' drew a linear gradient (foreground black, background invisible) from the bottom up, stopping at the face. I clicked 'quick mask' again to commit the mask to a selection, then created a curves layer which I used to darken the values towards the bottom, warding the eye away from that area.

Creating the somewhat painterly Crispin look requires a delicate control of the values and composition of the image.

Last edited by mikedimples; 11-16-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedimples View Post
To select the highlights (by highlights I mean areas that are brighter than 50% grey), control+click on the composite rgb channel. Once you have that selection, create a new curves adjustment layer and the luminosity mask will be created automatically. You can run curves on the mask itself for finer control of the selected values.
I did not know this (ctrl+click on rgb), neat. Now, how do you run curves on the mask itself?

Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Alt+click on the mask to view the mask (helps you see what you're doing), then as long as the mask is selected in the layer panel, hit control+m. That's the shortcut for non-adjustment layer curves.

You may find that a single color channel more closely targets the range of values you need, so don't go straight to the composite rgb if you want a luminosity mask. Maybe someone can link the action that creates like 10 luminosity masks for the image, all for various ranges of values.

Playing with a gradient map adjustment layer set can help you target a narrow band of values as well. You can't do the control+click luminosity trick in the normal layer panel - it will select everything non-transparent instead, which can be handy. Make sure you control+click the rgb composite in the channels if you go this route.

Here's more on luminance masking: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=8

Last edited by mikedimples; 11-16-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 PM

Thanks a bunch. I knew about the ctrl+m, just did not come to mind.

Very useful info. Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedimples View Post
Here's something I did that was inspired by Crisman. I know the difference between the before and after seems shocking - it's a friend of the family so I was having fun and experimenting. I wouldn't make such drastic changes if this were a portrait or a celebrity.

The structural adjustments went quick - about half an hour. Then it was about an hour of curves: local, global, and luminosity masked, followed by a couple hours of dodge and burn, then I lost track of time towards the end doing color adjustments, sharpening, and tweaking things - probably a couple more hours.

Does anyone find this visually appealing? Or is it a sorry rip-off?

Larger size: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_h5_nuNOj9N...00/Crisman.jpg
Without color processing: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h5_nuNOj9N...lprpprocsm.jpg
This looks awesome, any chance of supplying the psd so we can see exactly what you did? Good work man.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM

mikedimples: this is really awesome. Exactly what I've been trying to learn how to do. If you had any type of tutorial or psd file it would forever be appreciated. Either way, excellent job!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching