Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Small black specks on colour slide

Old 11-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Re: Small black specks on colour slide

Murray, isopropyl alcohol is NOT a denatured form of ethyl alcohol, and it is NOT consumed by humans, period. The two are different chemicals - related, but different. What you get from the drugstore is isopropyl alcohol, also known as rubbing alcohol. The percentage indicates how much water has been added to dilute it. I don't know about Hong Kong, but if the pharmacies there have 95% ethanol, it is likely to be denatured (often with benzene) and is NOT drinkable. Also not a substitute for isopropanol.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Lurch, I did not say that Iso is consumed by humans, it is not. But pure ethanol is the kind that is used in many Alcoholic beverages produced for human consumption. For purposes of cleaning, Ethanol is often substituted for Iso, depending on what it has been denatured with.
Rubbing alcohol, most commonly found in pharmacies, and so labeled, is usually around 70% iso and is not suitable for cleaning film and lenses. I don't know why pharmacies in HK do not stock high grade iso. Perhaps they consider Ethanol a perfect substitute for cleaning and disinfecting purposes.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 07:15 AM

Hi Murray, Lurch and Flashtones,
Sorry for being so long in getting back. I had a computer meltdown that took me a week to sort out. (Might I take a moment here to strongly discourage anyone from using Mozy online backup as they managed to scramble a lot of my data and if not for another backup I'd made I'd have been screwed).

Got the 99% isopropyl. I don't know what happened. I think I caught a pharmacy assistant on a bad day. I tried cleaning the slide with it, and the specks remain. They're obviously somehow become ingrained, and I'm going to leave it at that.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to put in your knowledgeable and thoughtful input.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching