RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Am I going to get fired?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM

Unhappy Am I going to get fired?

Hello there, Retouchers!

I've been given a handful of really crappy jewelry pictures by my boss at work, and he seems convinced that Photoshop will be able to turn those into better pictures that are to be used for their new online shop (as product photos).

Being a complete Photoshop newbie (my boss thought getting me a few Photoshop video tutorial DVDs would help much), I don't even know where to start to make those look better. I've managed to adjust the levels a bit to turn the black background into a homogenous black area, but that's pretty much all I can do.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix those images up? Any help would be much appreciated, I might lose my job over this...

Picture's here: http://gbatemp.net/up/DSCN4105.JPG

Sincere thanks for the help,
John
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 10:14 AM

Re: Am I going to get fired?

Clean up, Neutralize, Sharpen, Crop. You might want to start by cutting a path around the jewelry just to have it if you want to apply an adjustment specifically to the background or the jewels themselves.

What is the final output size of the file? If its a web thumbnail you should be able to get something decent out of this file.

-JSF
http://www.exposingfashion.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 AM

tell your boss to get a grip and hire someone who knows what they are doing Both to shoot and to retouch. If you lose your job over that, then do you really want to be working for such an idiot to begin with?

The best way to clean those up would be to not shoot it handheld with your iphone on a lint filled velvet form using two lights on the side, and get a proper camera and lighting and have a photographer who knows how to shoot jewelry come in and do it honestly
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 AM

Hi

For a newbie i wpuld recommend you to paint your homogenic Black on a new layer into the image.

Then try to use filter/unsharp masking to sharpen it.

Raise contrast.

An clean it from scratches and dirt.

Here is a quick work over:

Regards
Chris

For further information let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4105.jpg (100.0 KB, 239 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Not the best solution in the world, but, if you are in a pinch, you may be able to use a scanner to get a nice, sharp shot of the jewelry. You'd have to play around to get the black background right (velvet, black card stock, etc.), but I've gotten some amazingly clear shots of objects using a scanner when I didn't have a proper camera, lighting setup handy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
tell your boss to get a grip and hire someone who knows what they are doing Both to shoot and to retouch. If you lose your job over that, then do you really want to be working for such an idiot to begin with?
You tell your boss to find someone else? I know what you're saying but I think he wants to KEEP his job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 01:30 PM

This is what I ended up with, after 30 minutes...
I know is not so good, but is not so bad

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/...id/Jewerly.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 01:31 PM

what's with all the dead space? did your boss take these photos? crappy photography; crappy lens...

get rid of chromatic aberration!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 04:24 PM

haha the dream of every product retoucher...Crappy material to begin with. Next time your boss really should get a proper camera and some lighting...this is just ridiculous!
Well overall i would cut the jewelry out and get it onto a proper black background..clean up the flaws,sharpen it,give it some good contrast and color adjusment and you should get something like isaac_magana did.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 PM

wow thanks everyone! those were some really really nice answers from everyone of you!
you are fantastic!!

I will try to answer each of your posts----
1) JSFphoto: ideally a low resolution but still enjoyably large image, like 640*480 or something. Then out of that we could generate thumbnails easily.

2) garibaldi: thanks I kind of agree with you but it isn't a good time to be losing your job. Also, they used a light tent and a Nikon coolpix camera for shooting this, but thats about all I know.

3) Chris: that's amazing!! It's exactly the sort of stuff that my boss is expecting, I've showed him and he seems satisfied with it. Now all I gotta do is apply the same stuff on the 50 other images he gave me (pretty much all the same quality).
Did you apply some kind of filter for the shiny effect I can see on some parts of the necklace?

4) mhartman: yeah, I pretty much told my boss I wasn't going to be able to do anything without better shots. But he didn't listen to me and he said with a bit of photoshopping it could be fixed up. Well he was right apparently since Chris (above post) managed to get something very nice out of it !!

5) SilvaFox: yes you're right, I'd rather keep my job at this point... you never know with the economy and all. Besides I am originally a web developer, not a graphist, which explains my lack of skills when it comes to retouching...

6) isaac_magana: wow that's amazing too! could you please share the steps you've used for this? perhaps send me the PSD so that I can see the layers and operations applied? thanks in advance!

7) toan thai: yeah I uploaded a raw picture, I didn't even bother cropping it, my bad...

8) JayRiches: so getting a better camera would really help? basically my boss said his camera was good enough already and he wasn't going to purchase a new one cause he wasn't certain it would improve the quality of shots.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching