RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin Smooth

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 AM
ShadowLight ShadowLight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 397
Re: Skin Smooth

if you have any requests, now is the time

skinsmooth-2012-comingsoon.jpg
Reply With Quote top
  #82  
Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 PM
warrenj warrenj is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 17
Re: Skin Smooth

I don't have any requests & it looks to me like you have it very much under control.
I can only say Thank You, it looks fantastic.
Reply With Quote top
  #83  
Old 06-23-2012, 06:17 AM
ShadowLight ShadowLight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 397
Re: Skin Smooth

Coming really soon...
starter.png
Reply With Quote top
  #84  
Old 06-23-2012, 12:29 PM
ShadowLight ShadowLight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 397
Re: Skin Smooth

you can download the FREE 8bit version through here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...token=65aa2d80

The project will be live next week.
Reply With Quote top
  #85  
Old 06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Chain's Avatar
Chain Chain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 551
Re: Skin Smooth

I have not seen this plugin before. I will try it when the new version comes...

As far as I can see it creates a band-stop layer? (I currently use an action for that).
Looks nice to have several interactive sliders available (instead of going back and forth if you need to adjust the radius of the filters).

Just judging from the screenshot in the last post i hope there are good tooltips available when you hold the mouse over a button - telling you what that setting does. If there isn't then that is my request.
Reply With Quote top
  #86  
Old 06-23-2012, 01:08 PM
ShadowLight ShadowLight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 397
Re: Skin Smooth

although the project is not "live" yet, you can already download the free version
<link removed>

just click on "Download" where it says: FREE 8bit version: Download

in the preview:
- you can set to see the "garbage texture" (what you will be erasing) which I find most useful,
- or a preview approximation of the result, on which when you click you see the original (so you can compare).

so give it a try and let me know about any bugs
(it was not tested on Mac, but should work there too)


edit:

kickstarter.com declined to host project as it is not "creative enough" for them so...

when there's new info I will post, in the meantime - "share"

Last edited by ShadowLight; 06-27-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #87  
Old 06-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Chain's Avatar
Chain Chain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 551
Re: Skin Smooth

Looked ok (wish it showed numerical values on the sliders).

Personally when I do this manually (ok, with an action) i run Surface Blur to avoid the "halo" problem near edges. Damn slow however...
Reply With Quote top
  #88  
Old 06-23-2012, 03:14 PM
ShadowLight ShadowLight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 397
Re: Skin Smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Looked ok (wish it showed numerical values on the sliders).

Personally when I do this manually (ok, with an action) i run Surface Blur to avoid the "halo" problem near edges. Damn slow however...
yes, using Surface blur is too slow, and can't be made dynamic

but when it comes to halos, just press "Halo", and follow the instructions.
you can take care of them in a few seconds.
(or you can always press "split" to smooth without any halos)

ps. the "values" are the little thing that's not free

Last edited by ShadowLight; 06-23-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #89  
Old 06-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Chain's Avatar
Chain Chain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 551
Lightbulb Re: Skin Smooth

Ok, keep the values hidden. If someone really needs to see them in the free version, they can manually look at the smart filters...

Strength slider
The Strength-slider appears to control the Average-filter (luminosity blended). The purpose of this (instead of using Opacity) is to always band-stop the colors, and just have the luminosity-smoothing controlled separately? Or does this have some other effect that I don't realize?
Anyway, the strength-slider only goes changes the opacity value from 100-50%. I believe it should go the whole range of 100-0%. This allows a stronger effect for those who need it.

Tooltips:
Add descriptions (tooltips) that show under the cursor when a user hovers any button. The description should explain what the slider/button does. That way it is easy for users to dive straight in without having to look up documentation.

Preview window:
* I think the preview-window should allow zooming and panning (or at least a toggle between 100 % and "fit in window").
* Remove the "Show Garbage Texture" checkbox (and only have this view).
* To be honest I think it's worth considering if this window actually has a purpose at all besides taking up valuable screen pace. You can see the changes in the document - and the actual effect on the image is more telling than the "garbage texture".

Band stop sliders
* Most of the time users will use very low radii to get a decent result, but at the same time you want users to be able to choose a large radius if they want it. The valid values in CS6 are 0,1-1000 (your filter stops at 255 which is also fine). People will want to do finer adjustments of smaller radii, so the sliders should not be linear. The further you increase the radius the larger the increments (this is how Adobe does it in the actual filters).
* Separate the two sliders and call one "Pore size" and the other "Blotch Size". Add a visible link between them (like you did with "band").

Interface
* "Skin" should say "Select Skintones" (or something)
* "New" and "Force Skin" should be separate button/checkbox and visible removed from the other buttons.
* The buttons and sliders should match the rest of the user interface in CS6.
* Force skin should default to off.

I have created an interface mockup for you!:
mockup.png
(logo could be clickable for a link to a url)

Versions
* Only divided into paid/free version. Not separate plugin for 8-bit/16-bit.
* Free version limitations seem reasonable as they are.

Ps: If you end up not making much money from it, make the full version free!
Reply With Quote top
  #90  
Old 06-23-2012, 07:02 PM
ShadowLight ShadowLight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 397
Re: Skin Smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Ok, keep the values hidden. If someone really needs to see them in the free version, they can manually look at the smart filters...
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Strength slider
The Strength-slider appears to control the Average-filter (luminosity blended). The purpose of this (instead of using Opacity) is to always band-stop the colors, and just have the luminosity-smoothing controlled separately? Or does this have some other effect that I don't realize?
Anyway, the strength-slider only goes changes the opacity value from 100-50%. I believe it should go the whole range of 100-0%. This allows a stronger effect for those who need it.
this way colours are blended better, but it's prompt to colour-halos,
which are eliminated by "force skin" (and this is why it's turned ON be default).
Below 50% will start carving (0% will give you a negative image)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Tooltips:
Add descriptions (tooltips) that show under the cursor when a user hovers any button. The description should explain what the slider/button does. That way it is easy for users to dive straight in without having to look up documentation.
good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Preview window:
* I think the preview-window should allow zooming and panning (or at least a toggle between 100 % and "fit in window").
* Remove the "Show Garbage Texture" checkbox (and only have this view).
* To be honest I think it's worth considering if this window actually has a purpose at all besides taking up valuable screen pace. You can see the changes in the document - and the actual effect on the image is more telling than the "garbage texture".
if you have noticed the preview is "live" and gives you real-time results as you move the sliders. having this done with the document is impractical (especially if you work with 60MP images)
It does help at least for me to ballpark where I want to corrective band to be, and it shows what actually gets corrected (much easier to see what you need if you have complex noise patterns to correct)
here's example of the old-version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UANATlah8_8
(here you see an extra button "get" which was pulling a selected area for a preview, however it was too complicated and confusing to most people, so I decided to remove it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Band stop sliders
* Most of the time users will use very low radii to get a decent result, but at the same time you want users to be able to choose a large radius if they want it. The valid values in CS6 are 0,1-1000 (your filter stops at 255 which is also fine). People will want to do finer adjustments of smaller radii, so the sliders should not be linear. The further you increase the radius the larger the increments (this is how Adobe does it in the actual filters).
* Separate the two sliders and call one "Pore size" and the other "Blotch Size". Add a visible link between them (like you did with "band").
small radii - yes, it's true
CS6 up to 1000 - didn't know this, thanks
I thought about having non-linear scale, but it's as you see I didn't get around to making it yet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Interface
* "Skin" should say "Select Skintones" (or something)
* "New" and "Force Skin" should be separate button/checkbox and visible removed from the other buttons.
* The buttons and sliders should match the rest of the user interface in CS6.
* Force skin should default to off.
Sounds great, but as you see in your example it has high real-estate cost.
As not everyone is using CS6 yet ideally it should have 2 skins, but you are correct that it can use more beautifying work. I did think of CS6 overall colours for the 16bit version (as you see on the preview), but you are right that it can be made so it matches CS6.

skin16bit.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Versions
* Only divided into paid/free version. Not separate plugin for 8-bit/16-bit.
* Free version limitations seem reasonable as they are.
you may be right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Ps: If you end up not making much money from it, make the full version free!
... I'll retire after this to the Maldives.
If the project gets funded I will make some improvements (some of your suggestions too).
In this case the pro-version will not be sold nor released for free later.
(only the people who supported the project will have it)

If it doesn't get funded I may release some more advanced free version,
but probably for the winter holidays.


The thing I like about kickstarter, is the "all or nothing" concept. If the project does not reach the necessary funding level, no one actually pays. So if the funding goal is not reached nothing will be released for now (and no one will be charged either)

So if you want it... back the project AND tell your friends

ps. thanks for the feedback and suggestions

Last edited by ShadowLight; 06-25-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glamour retouch challenge here!!!! superkoax Photo Retouching 332 02-08-2011 09:52 PM
skin tone - reduce M, increase Y kenwood Photo Retouching 2 11-02-2010 05:20 PM
smooth skin + channels ? jaroslav Photo Retouching 10 07-28-2008 08:49 AM
Silky Smooth Skin ivan watkins Photo Retouching 2 10-08-2007 06:50 PM
Smooth skin retouch mdk Photo Retouching 8 04-21-2007 10:17 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved