RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin Smooth

Old 11-08-2010, 12:15 AM

Exclamation PhotonicTools

Skin Smooth

(free) version is limited to 8bit, RGB
(Pro) version, works with 16bit, RGB, CMYK, and Lab

the plugin is available for download through the Adobe Exchange:

https://www.adobeexchange.com/

SkinSmooth_v5_test.jpg

Skin Smooth - manual:

Optional: You can start by making a selection of the areas you like to be corrected. Quick-mask is supported.
Note: Preview is approximation of the chosen settings and shows the last created Skin Smooth layer (no matter which Skin Smooth layer is selected).
Tip1: You can have multiple Skin Smooth layers at the same time. Dynamically adjust settings for each by first selecting (clicking on) the target layer.
Tip2: If the result is not pleasing right away and you notice colour-bleeds or luminosity halos around the skin edges, press [halo] and using large hard-edged brush draw with close to (the inverted) skin colour below the masked skin layer (you can be sloppy).
Tip3: Selecting "Force Skin" before you create new Skin Smooth layer, will avoid colour bleeds around skin-edges (however you can still use [halo] if necessary).

[SKIN] - Selects skin tones. It can be used throughout your work-flow. (It is not required for creating a skin-targeting Skin Smooth layer).

[NEW with Force Skin] - Creates new adjustable band-pass correction for the skin only. Creates better colour smoothing, but selection depends on standard skin-tones (mask is not adjustable).

[NEW without Force Skin] - Creates new adjustable band-pass correction. Some discoloration halos may show, but can be manually corrected (see [HALO] button information). Selection depends on a mask based on standard skin-tones which is fully adjustable.

[HALO] - In case any halos show around skin-edges (in any Skin Smooth mode), pressing [HALO] will create a layer below the skin-masked target. Draw with close to skin colours around where halos occur.

[SPLIT] - Creates a 3-band image split in place of the Skin Smooth layer (based on selected values for band-pass). Any changes you have made below the Skin Smooth layer after it was created will be taken into account when you create a [SPLIT]. Adjustable approximation of the smoothing will be added as adjustable layer named - "Strength". Results will be the same whether the source Skin Smooth layer was created "with Force Skin" or "without Force Skin".
Tip 1: Setting "Strength" to 0 will create exact split of the image.
Tip 2: Manually setting positive contrast values in "Strength" layer (ex: Contrast: +25) will sharpen the image (based on the selected band-pass).

[INFO] - Application information.

[Rast] - Rasterizes Skin Smooth layer, adding a disabled mask for your convenience (select mask and paint with white on the areas you like corrected).

STRENGTH - Strength-Colour controls colour blending depending on Strength-Luminosity (overall corrections).
(i.e. if you have strength-lum at 0, strength-col will have no effect)

Photoshop Bug [SPLIT]: When looking below 66% zoom level photoshop's proxy rendering is flawed. You may notice colour-shifts when the image is split in 16 bit CMYK, luminosity shifts in Lab-split and other inconsistencies with different type of images due to incorrect calculation in PS's preview. To be sure you see the real final result, check your image with at least 66% (66%~100%) zoom.

Last edited by ShadowLight; 07-26-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 01:57 AM

Re: Skin Smooth

Hi ShadowLight,

mine is no comparison, just a wow!!!

I've tried the plug-in for different kind of skin problems and it just did a wonderful job!!!! I don't know much about 'numbers' therefore I can't comment on 'correctenss', so, I will simply comment on functionality and quality of result which I found excellent.... thank you so much for it!!!

My tests:

Attachment 1 = skin discoloration
Attachment 2 = skin blemishes
Attachment 3
= skin 'blotchiness'

The results were obtained by just one go with the plug-in... I simply had to move the sliders until I was happy with the result and refine the mask. I couldn't believe my eyes ... work that would have taken ages with clone, heal, or D&B was done in a few seconds!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLight View Post
....Tools don't make a retoucher good, they just make his day easier.
.... Very true!!

P.S. Tried to download the new version but, guess what?
Did you make important changes in it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-99.jpg (74.7 KB, 1299 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-100.jpg (159.1 KB, 1177 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-099.jpg (163.8 KB, 1121 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 AM

Flora,

Are the thumbnails your provided showing the plugin results, as it seems from your layer stack the smoothing is from some form of frequency seperation?

Cheers,
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Flora,

Are the thumbnails your provided showing the plugin results, as it seems from your layer stack the smoothing is from some form of frequency seperation?

Cheers,
Hi longside1,

the plug-in creates the stack of layers (Smart Filters) you see in my workflow ... the plug-in gives you also the option of rasterizing the layers ... but is flexible enough to let you make changes in the layers before that.

And yes it is frequency separation ... but for more precise details you should ask ShadowLight ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 02:21 AM

I see. thanks for clarifying :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 05:08 AM

Is this Plugin good for Mac Osx too? or it's just for PC?
I often use Portraiture and I think it's fine.......is thi SkinSmooth better than Portraiture?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetes View Post
Is this Plugin good for Mac Osx too? or it's just for PC?
I often use Portraiture and I think it's fine.......is thi SkinSmooth better than Portraiture?
Mac or PC cs4 or cs5 its awesome and FREE
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 05:26 AM

and can be created pretty easilly as an action anyway...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Hi ShadowLight,

mine is no comparison, just a wow!!!

I've tried the plug-in for different kind of skin problems and it just did a wonderful job!!!! I don't know much about 'numbers' therefore I can't comment on 'correctenss', so, I will simply comment on functionality and quality of result which I found excellent.... thank you so much for it!!!

My tests:

Attachment 1 = skin discoloration
Attachment 2 = skin blemishes
Attachment 3
= skin 'blotchiness'

The results were obtained by just one go with the plug-in... I simply had to move the sliders until I was happy with the result and refine the mask. I couldn't believe my eyes ... work that would have taken ages with clone, heal, or D&B was done in a few seconds!!!

.... Very true!!

P.S. Tried to download the new version but, guess what?
Did you make important changes in it?
oh no... hmmm... I think the Italian government is tracking everyone there :P
... seriously... i think a few people from Italy may have a problem downloading, but no one else from the world seems to

I'll e-mail you the new version, and it has a new algorithm, so there could be some changes in the results... but should be better if anything.

Last edited by ShadowLight; 11-08-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Working nicely for me. Thank you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching