RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

openSkin - FOSS - Skin Smoothing / IHP / FS

Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 PM

openSkin - FOSS - Skin Smoothing / IHP / FS

Below is a very, very early version of a Skin Smoothing / IHP / FS engine. I'm not going to take the time to document it too thoroughly just yet as a lot is likely to change - this is the product of a few hours work the last couple of nights and still requires polish. Just the same, it is operational and as some folks on here are already using it, I did want to get a few updates out into the 'wild' before anyone started saving files which might later be made incompatible.

In short, this is a script, so download / save it to the scripts directory you have configured in PS (typically, but not always [Photoshop Root Directory]/Presets/Scripts), restart Photoshop, and then select it from File->Scripts->openSkin. Subsequent versions will come with a launch action which you can install and configure to a keypress so that you can use it from your keyboard, programmable mouse, Wacom, etc. without needing to use the keyboard at all. For now, though, you either need to roll your own or do it manually. Not having it now is the price of being an early adopter .

Usage is pretty straightforward. You can use this on an 8bit or 16bit image and either will give you the bit-depth respective "Apply Image" / "HPS" quality results. When the dialog presents itself, it will ask you for the radii which you want to use for GB and for HP. You can choose to Invert the result if you'd like to remove that frequency band from the image, or by default it will emphasize the selected range.

If you start the script with a selection active, you get the option to use that selection as the basis for your new layer in much the way that Portraiture avoids 'color bleeding' in the skin areas.

If you have an openSkin layer selected when you run the script, it will allow you to:

1.) Update that layer's current values with the new ones you select.
2.) Create a new layer based on the same SO as the current, using whichever settings are entered into the dialog [YES, this means you can use the same SO throughout a workflow, make changes to it later, and have the same corrected IHP / FS adjustments applied to it automatically -- at least so long as the rest of your workflow is non-destructive].
3.) Create a new layer based on the image as it currently appears (default).

Known issues:
- The UI is ugly as sin. I'll work on that, but I'm ultimately going to keep this JS-only so as to retain backwards compatibility as far back as we can go with it. I'm not a Jobsian Flash hater, but I've seen how many people are being excluded from using other products because they can't afford to keep up Adobe's upgrade pace.
- The code is ugly. I'm in a critical-bugs-only development freeze while I think through a partial rewrite to streamline things a bit and hopefully to bring more functionality into this.
- There is no option to automatically add a mask to the generated layer(s). This will be forthcoming.
- It hasn't been tested on anything except Windows Vista + CS5. I'm sure that there are going to be version-based issues to work through.

Future additions to look forward to:
- Better, more stable codebase - that usually makes everyone happy
- Better selection integration
- Saved 'preferences' between uses
- Slightly improved UI
- Automatic mask addition
- "Target Size" + "Range" dialog option for removing frequency ranges without having to deal with radii
- Whatever else you ask for (within reason)

Please let me know if you have problems with it. As I said, this is very, very, very early in the development process, so please don't make up your mind about it forever right now. I'd love to hear your feedback in all cases, though.

With thanks to Photons2Pixels and the folks over at ps-scripts.com for all the code they give the world, I present: openSkin!

openSkin FAQ:

1.) Why are you writing this?

- A community desire for such a tool has been clearly demonstrated by similar PS extensions recently, and not everyone can use the Flash panel engine, so this provides a Javascript-only solution to that problem.

2.) When do you expect to complete the script?

- It will likely never be 'done' in the traditional sense, as I hope to continue updating it in accordance with feature and functionality requests from the community. If you have any, please contact me! That said, I do expect to have a '1.0' out the door by the end of November 2010.

3.) What makes this different from similar products?

- Primarily the architecture - this is a Javascript-only application vs. being a Flash-dependent hybrid. I didn't honestly appreciate how slow the community-wide upgrade process is until I was watching the feedback with how many people were finding themselves unable to use the Flash solutions. Other differences include:
- Predictable accuracy (more discussion after 1.0)
- Ability to use the same Smart Object repeatedly
- Lack of a real-time option in openSkin (coming after 1.0)
- Ability to view the full history of what's been done - openSkin is not a 'black box'
- Responsiveness to community requests
- Open Source - see everything which goes on behind the scenes; make your own variations; etc.

4.) Why the name change?

- openSkin was always the intended name for this application, but development went a lot faster than I thought it would and I ended up releasing a couple of personal test builds to the public which were based around my initials. Normally I do that with actions and scripts I release since so many actions have such similar names, but with openSkin I wanted to be able to hand off the program to another developer if the time and attention I can give it were to become constrained. In that situation I wouldn't want the new developer feeling slighted that they were distributing a product with my name on it while they were the one putting in all the work. And I use my initials because my name is Sean Robert Baker and I stand behind what I write .

5.) More to come...

Last edited by bakerser; 11-09-2010 at 05:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2010, 03:07 AM

Re: openSkin - FOSS - Skin Smoothing / IHP / FS

Thanks Sean, I realise your busy with a lot of things so it's great you've managed to put your own time into this and then be so willing to share with the community. I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it goes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBurg View Post
Thanks Sean, I realise your busy with a lot of things so it's great you've managed to put your own time into this and then be so willing to share with the community. I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it goes.
You're quite welcome. Please let me know any and all feedback which you have!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Hi Sean,

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge & also to make this tool. I'm sure it's fantastic but I am probably not alone in thinking it might be more popular if you wrote a quick guide on how to best use it.
I'm sure I'm not the only dummy out here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 PM

Warren - you can count on it. I'm getting set for a considerable rewrite of the current code, and I'll be putting together a writeup about the functionality to go along with its release. I promise to both increase and decrease the geekiness of this thing all in the same release .
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 10:52 AM

Waiting lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2010, 05:56 AM

I must say I am looking forward to the release also....no pressure though.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching