RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how do I make a match SWOP color bar?

Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Re: how do I make a match SWOP color bar?

I’d be hard pressed to send a print shop Adobe RGB (1998) unless I was darn sure they know about color management. The good thing about Colormatch RGB is outside an ICC aware handling, it should appear much like sRGB and its 1.8 TRC is a better fit for the dot gain behavior on press. That’s why Karl Lang created it this when way back in the PressView days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Well the PSD had this embedded profile. I choose sRGB because it was a smaller workspace. It wasn't a print shop but a major magazine so they should have photoshop. I don't know, I am just winging it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg settings.jpg (88.8 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 PM

I think you'll be fine.

Anyway, if it is for use in a magazine and you are not creating the press-ready PDF of a whole page (e.g. you have made an AD), then it is possible they will be placing your image into InDesign or something similar. It should handle any color space correctly.

But you never know; their setup could have been made with someone who thinks it is a GREAT idea to turn off color management in InDesign and just ignore profiles for all linked content... (Working in a major magazine company myself i can confirm they actually were doing this before i changed a couple of color settings... They used to convert every single image file to CMYK before linking it in InDesign, and pass on the raw CMYK-values to the PDF. If it was with the wrong CMYK-profile the profile would be ignored and the colors a bit wrong... -.- Also, not setting their PDF export preset to convert colors to the correct color space they would sometimes let RGB colors slip through and not be noticed until contacted by the printing company... yay...). Ok sorry, now I'm ranting... :P "Convert to destination" is your friend when exporting to PDF :P
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
I’d be hard pressed to send a print shop Adobe RGB (1998) unless I was darn sure they know about color management. The good thing about Colormatch RGB is outside an ICC aware handling, it should appear much like sRGB and its 1.8 TRC is a better fit for the dot gain behavior on press. That’s why Karl Lang created it this when way back in the PressView days.
AdobeRGB should have room for some additional colors that the printer can reproduce but isn't covered by sRGB. However I agree that for systems that are not color managed sRGB is the way to go. I have not checked out Colormatch RGB before (i see it has a very similar gamut). I'll read up on it now...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 PM

Thank you, Chain. I think I will be ok as the image was for editorial and going to receive further work from their inhouse retouching staff. Sounds like I should have handed off a Colormatch RGB to have been on the safeside, but I wasn't familiar with it at the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Hello all,
I work for a print shop and we generally assign untagged RGB files as sRGB.
As a default- if somebody doesn't know to embed a profile- they probably haven't touched their Color Management settings - which is North American General Purpose: sRGB.
I would say- and have stated to clients:: just to Please make sure the file is tagged with a profile. I can convert the thing on my end to our custom CMYK profile- I just want to know what the Source Profile is.
Then I can deal with out of Gamut issues.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 PM

Yep. Tag all files you hand out. Even if it is sRGB.
(An exception would be (final) size-critical images on the web...)

Files without profiles are usually assumed to be sRGB, but you can not always count on it.

Caravaggio: Ah, well, if they will continue to work on your image then you won't need those color bars. Hand them a flat LZW-compressed TIFF-file with whatever RGB working space your image has "originally" (no need for an additional pointless conversion). Profile embeeded.

Personally, as a working space I use AdobeRGB for print, and sRGB for web/screen work, but I know people use different setups... All work, but with some different tradeoffs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Thank you, Chain. I just checked the file I handed over. In the save as dialogue box I see that embed color profile is checked and the profile selected is Adobe RGB. I guess I was confused because under color settings, the working space I had chosen to work in for this image was sRGB so I assumed that was also the profile that was embedded in the file.

I usually work in RGB, but decided to work in sRGB for this file because I didn't know where the file was going at the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 03:57 PM

The profile chosen in Photoshop Color Settings are overridden by whatever profile is assigned to your current image(s). So you can work on an Adobe RGB image, even if Photoshop Color Settings are set to sRGB.

The Photoshop Color Settings are used as the defaults when you create new files, or to convert using Image > Mode (Tip: Edit > Convert to Profile will let you choose profile freely when changing color mode). An important thing to be aware is that the profiles set in the Color Settings is what Photoshop will assume when an image doesn't have an embedded profile (so I recommend ticking the check-boxes to have Photoshop ask/warn you of missing profiles).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 09:10 PM

Thank you, Chain. One thing I am confused about is when I just checked all the files in the Bridge that I had previously sent off to clients , it says under metadata>color profile, that all my files are Adobe RGB but that they are untagged. How do you tag a file anyway and should I be doing that before sending off to clients? What is the difference between embedding a profile in "save as" and tagging a file? Thanks for the education.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching