RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how do I make a match SWOP color bar?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 AM

Re: how do I make a match SWOP color bar?

Are you sure it actually says Untagged AND Adobe RGB (and not just "RGB")? This computer only has CS3 so I can't check how Bridge displays it in CS4-5 right now...

If a file is "Untagged" it means that there is no profile assigned/attached (and Photoshop will display it using whatever profile is set in your Color Settings).
Tip: If you want Photoshop to warn you, check the warning boxes in your Color Settings (see screenshot).

In the bottom left corner of an open image (see screenshot) you can have Photoshop show you whatever profile the current image is in. I recommend this.

If an image is "Untagged" you should go to Edit > Assign Profile... to assign the correct profile to the image (this does not change the color values in the image). If you do not know the correct one, try Adobe RGB and sRGB first and see what gives the best result.

When saving the image, make sure "Embed color profile" is checked, or it will become "Untagged" again.

Did this make sense?

Here's a summary of the terms used:
* Tag = Assign profile = Attach a color profile to the image. Does not alter color values, but affects how they are displayed.
* Untagged = An image that has no assigned profile.
* Embed profile = Save the color profile embedded in the image file (when saving). In most situations this is important to do.
* RGB = The color model "RGB", not a specific profile. Both Adobe RGB and sRGB are RGB profiles.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (11.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Picture 2.png (27.2 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 AM

That makes sense and makes things a lot clearer to me. Also I think I was confused by what the Bridge displays under color profile. It must be referring to the number of files and not to one particular image. See attached screenshot.

Looks like I will have to go through my images and assign a profile to the untagged ones.

Thank you so much for explaining things to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridge display.jpg (55.4 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 06:09 PM

Oh, that is the Filter panel, not the Metadata panel (screenshot). The filter panel is for filtering the files you see, not for showing you information about the current file. What it shows you there is indeed the number of untagged and Adobe RGB files in your current folder.

If you click on where it says "Untagged" it will only show you the Untagged files ("filtering" your view). Good idea if you need to figure out what images are missing profiles? If you have a lot of files in a folder or the same files in different formats it very handy to use the Filter panel to do things like "show me only JPEG files modified today".
Attached Images
File Type: png metadata.png (16.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Chain; 11-13-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: See attached screenshot of the more informative Metadata-panel :)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 10:38 PM

Thanks, Chain, for all the useful information. I had no idea that is what the Filter panel was for.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching