RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

RetouchPRO really pisses me off sometimes.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Re: RetouchPRO really pisses me off sometimes.

4personnen, don't get me wrong... there is some good work there, ( however you won't see BoxStudios)... I was referring to the active people in the "chat" there (which are only a few compared to the actual users).

Some intentionally avoid the forum, and there are obvious reasons for it.

anyway... Elbobo's trolling will fit right in there, so s/he should move and stay there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 PM

I agree, it's a bit weird to expect to be with the "pros" without giving oneself no other proof of living than that incredible ego. At one point, one has to show something, if just a little bit of modesty.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM

I double that.

I registered somewhat 6-8 months ago I think (or at least came across this forum) and I was like "Hooray! Finally a pro-retouching place." And then I was punched right in the face with gaussian blur, high pass sharpening, ugly color-correction and etc. etc. etc.

This is far not a pro-resource. And it never will be. I personally prefer speaking to Amy Dresser in person, then to watch boring videos with Doug commentaries. No offense, but Doug's voice is just really bad.

For some reason I was bored at work today (full-time retoucher at an agency in Los Angeles) and decided to see how it is going here. Same newbies, same ugly design, same thousands of links to some creepy websites and bad, bad, bad, really bad tutorials. And yes, I'm way too lazy and busy to make a tut myself.

I hate both RP and MM due to tons of unprofessional random people and ugly 90-ish design. The website I visit everyday is a sort of a closed community of technical design and retouching professionals and in order to get an invitation you have to pass something like an exam in front of present members. This helps to avoid amateurs and spamming. And no, I won't give you a link. Again, to avoid amateurs and spamming.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 PM

as far as I remember Amy Dresser's workflow was more or less just D&B

however I do occasionally find a new trick or two here and on MM

assumption (that you know all) is the mother of all f... ups.

however I do find that techniques are not often shared
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 PM

Well, D&B is one of the fundamental techniques in beauty and advertising retouching. And it's just funny people have no idea that D&B is a must and there're still tons of pictures with blurred faces or with ugly (even cheesy nowadays) pseudo Dave Hill's fx.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 08:11 PM

assumtions is the ....

why do you assume that "people have no idea that D&B is a must"?

but again, not every solution needs D&B, and not every result is better with D&B... and again... some techniques will give you extremely fast results which will cut your D&B time to a fraction...

some of the toning is just clever result of math, and has nothing to do with d&b...

the tools and techniques do not make the retoucher good, but some tools make his day easier, others give him options for a more diversified look
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 PM

Well, the forum shows most members tend to call themselves beauty and fashion retouchers which require tons of D&B work. And I looked through posts in retouching section - it's all messy and ugly.

Aren't you trying to say RP is a great info-source for professionals?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 08:55 PM

to be honest I have never watched the "interviews" or tutorials, but I do find useful information ... but then again my "field" is not precisely "retouching"

as I said a lot of techniques are not shared, and when I made free plugin for skin touchups... "something hit the fan" and the smell on MM was awful, because I was doing not what the "pros" there were saying is the "correct way"... anyway it's a long story

you can check the plugin here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...in-smooth.html

personally I have found interesting information from LAB calculations for specific looks, to wet-plate "look" like this one... .. well.. it's my first try anyway, but I'm not sure if this would be useful for a beauty retoucher

edit:... I am curious however, do people share techniques that make their style unique on your private forum? ... here and on MM only few people share more advanced techniques
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web_Ina_s.jpg (96.2 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by ShadowLight; 11-18-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolug View Post
I'm kidding of course.
Here's my take:
http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/36805

Just put your mouse over to see final result.

I know about her hair, her skin and some other stuff which needs to be finished properly, but it's not that bad for an hour of lazy working.
Please keep alive or delete your link is messing up my comp.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Patron

First post goolug February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolug
Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum and to Protoshop too, but I decided to give it a try. It took me 8 hours of hard work and I feel like I'm still now tone yet. Though it seems to me like I'm the best in the whole thread. So, I think I'll teach you how to retouch another day.
Wow,Amazing, someone who with less than 1 year experience of Photoshop has amassed such knowledge.

Quote:
...I personally prefer speaking to Amy Dresser in person, then to watch boring videos with Doug commentaries. No offense, but Doug's voice is just really bad.
Aren’t you the lucky one speaking to Amy Dresser in person. I wonder how long she will tolerate you
In spite of your statement of "no offence" I find your comments about Doug and the videos both uneccessary and offensive. You could have picked a more polite/private way of raising your greivance.

Quote:
...... And yes, I'm way too lazy and busy to make a tut myself.
What a shame as I am sure we would all benefit from your extensive expertise.

Quote:
..........The website I visit everyday is a sort of a closed community of technical design and retouching professionals and in order to get an invitation you have to pass something like an exam in front of present members. This helps to avoid amateurs and spamming. And no, I won't give you a link. Again, to avoid amateurs and spamming.
"Something like an exam" Well it is either an exam or not - so which is it? Not that I want it but where is the threat in giving a link to a site where you have to qualify by being vetted by other members? Surely the criteria for joining will prevent the likes of spammers and amateurs joining.

Last edited by Tony W; 11-18-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching