RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

RetouchPRO really pisses me off sometimes.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 AM

Re: RetouchPRO really pisses me off sometimes.

This thread is basically whats wrong with all forums now a days it seems. People just like being ugly on the net for no reason other than to spread bitterness and hate.

Its a shame both MM and RP have a wealth of information tips and techniques that can be used to further your craft you just have to be open and understand simply many ways to do the same thing and many methods can build on each other for better results but closed minds can never see the forest from the the trees...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 AM

before you start criticizing - get to contribute first.

"pisses off" is a very strong term to use, specially when most of the resources are free.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 AM

And bragging with "big names" is not cool How would Amy feel about you using her as an advertisement?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Wink Re: RetouchPRO really pisses me off sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolug View Post
The website I visit everyday is a sort of a closed community of technical design and retouching professionals and in order to get an invitation you have to pass something like an exam in front of present members. This helps to avoid amateurs and spamming. And no, I won't give you a link. Again, to avoid amateurs and spamming.
Is it just me or is this a statement really that redundant?
You say that you have to pass an exam to ensure everybody there's a professional, but on the other hand you don't want to give us the link.
If the exam is so hard us "non-professionals" (?) wouldn't pass it anyways, if it isn't as hard, well than the website is not for professionals only like you just said :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Who said I'm advertising anything with Amy?
All I wanted to say that RP is moving in the wrong direction, I think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2010, 06:07 PM

LOL long time since I last came in... the original post is very laughable and to bad that he only posted once (reads more like a troll than anything else) if you go to the reoutch forum in MM you get pretty much the same threads as here, yes the "high pass sucks thread" is very good but its only one of the ones I've found good.. The tutorials here where the first ones I found and are still good, the Dodge & Burn tutorial was up even before MM had a retouch forum, seems more to me that the OP wanted to troll instead of really giving an opinion...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2010, 06:09 PM

Well, that's exactly what I'm doing here. Love watching how shit hits the fan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 PM

lol this happens less here than in MM...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 10:15 AM

It's funny the different types of experience people can have. Years ago, I thought I knew Photoshop because it seemed there wasn't anything I couldn't do with it. I simply just wasn't asking much of the program, and I didn't know it well at all, so I did not have use of nor even understand its full power.

Then I got work with an online service, the work of which only used my small sample size of a skill set, and whose forums linked to this site. I found some techniques, like a tutorial involving using the red channel as a luminosity layer and dialing down the effect with levels, to do a really nice job of evening out skin tones in a general fashion, and my horizons were expanded a bit.

Positive experiences like that, and seeing how by and large (unless I'm miraculously cherry-picking threads) people are civil within reason to one another regardless of "rank" in the industry motivates me to continue to learn. Heck, I didn't even know about the Soft Light approach to D&B, and at first when I was learning it was difficult for me to find explanations here, but it spurred me to find things on my own. That should count for something. If this is nothing more than a springboard, then it served a purpose for me -- a blessing when you consider the cover charge =)

Good or evil, pro or amateur, it's all going to be what you the editor bring to the table. I've seen really, really detailed instruction going on in casual conversation at MM. I've also seen creepy old guys that want to look at young attractive women naked wear their profession like they're underground Illuminati. Do I judge? Or do I just take it for what it is and move on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 PM

I like this site. I may not find what I'm looking for immediately but I sometimes find it. That being said; I have been able improve my skills with information found here as well as speak to some of the people I think are VERY good retouchers. I'm actually here right now because I'm trying to find out how to do something to an image.. lol
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching