RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

RetouchPRO really pisses me off sometimes.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 PM

RetouchPRO really pisses me off sometimes.

I started learning about retouching a few months ago, and RetouchPRO was one of the first websites I came to.

"Wow, a forum devoted to retouching and calling themselves 'Pro'? This must be the way I'm looking for!"

It was only until a month ago that I learned 90% of the things I learned from RP was WRONG (thank you, ModelMayhem retouching forum). Yes, I know for a fact that there are many skilled and professional retouchers on this website. But the various tutorials and topics created by amateurs who use terrible techniques can mislead those who don't know the D&B technique, or frequency separation, or what high-end retouching really looks like.

I don't know how this mess of amateur work would be cleaned up, but it seriously lowers the integrity of a website that calls it self "RetouchPro." Not only that, it also propagates the usage of such techniques.

Readers, please don't take this personally at all. I'm just expressing what I have experienced, and I'm sure many others have felt the same way I have. I realize MM doesn't run into the same problem because posting privileges are a bit more restricted there, but there are moderators here for a reason....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 PM

Re: RetouchPRO really pisses me off sometimes.

Dude, you are getting free information over the internet. You always have to take such information with a grain of salt and be your own moderator. If you want truely professonal advice, shell out the $ for some professional courses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbobo View Post
I started learning about retouching a few months ago, and RetouchPRO was one of the first websites I came to......
It was only until a month ago that I learned 90% of the things I learned from RP was WRONG (thank you, ModelMayhem retouching forum).
Interesting, strong comments from someone who by their own admission only started learning a few months ago!

Perhaps it may have been of more interest and useful to the readers of this forum if you gave examples of the things you say you learned here and are WRONG and show the correct way that you have learned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Perhaps it may have been of more interest and useful to the readers of this forum if you gave examples of the things you say you learned here and are WRONG and show the correct way that you have learned.
I usually hate this, but +1.
Some examples of misleading information here would be nice.
Maybe you even just misunderstood what was said (you're saying yourself, you're new to this and PS can be a pretty complicated program sometimes).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 01:22 PM

I can't speak for others on this forum, but I always try to give well-grounded, researched replies. But the point is, it's a FORUM where anyone con contribute, anyone can reply and anyone can be an expert because they say so. It's up to you to use your own discretion and research other outlets beside this to confirm the information you're getting here. For example, would you buy any product based on one glowing, random, personal review from a site no one has heard of?

I'd reserve your frustration for yourself for not being more discriminating, not aim it at others who were generous enough to give their time offering suggestions. You could use that angst to help evangelize here whatever magic you think you've found at Model Mayhem, which to me is about as informative as what you'd find on RetouchPro, just with more pretentiousness. Or better yet, buy a few books, watch some more video tutorials, and review the work of other retouchers you admire to become the expect you expect others to be on a public forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM

It is unfair to blame this website. It is the nature of people and technology that is to blame. Any time information is shared, there are going to be variations in accuracy, usefulness, relevancy, timeliness, and consistency - among other things.

It is your responsibility to weigh these in your own mind, consider the risks and benefits, and make these decisions for yourself. Throughout your life, you have already had to do it and always will. Were your parents always right? Your teachers? Professors? Employers? Do you trust everything a politician has to say?

So why on earth would you expect everything on the internet (in general) and on RetouchPro (specifically) to always be accurate and correct?

FWIW - I started out trying to teach myself, moved up to texts, books, and free online tutorials, then fee-for-service education, and finally to college classes. None have provided a perfect experience or offered an ideal path to success. But I have learned a LOT and continue to do so.

Todd
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 PM

Funny many here frequent both forums teaching the exact same methods lol....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 AM

If it doesn't work, I assumed you've tested it, so don't use it anymore! If you know it's wrong, that because you know the difference, then give a feedback to the posts where the guy gives his/her advice and correct them. It's free to use but requires that everybody gives a hand on it. Not just taking and moaning afterwards. Some tuts works for special images and maybe not suitable for others and maybe the original poster is not aware of that, tell him!!!. As for MM, the day this site will be well organised (and more friendly)... They will see me more than image posting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 02:16 PM

it's funny how some who are actually self proclaimed "top retouches from MM claim authority on the subjects... in reality they produce mediocre work but are cheap enough to be hired in the industry...

I guess before MM retouchers set the standard everyone was in the dark how to retouch... and the irony is that you won't see the industry masters on MM
(only a few people full of themselves that think they are good are there)

anyway you Elbobo (Junior Member) with 2 posts should go there and sing along with them in the self-delusional song "The pros use this correct way"... now go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 02:25 PM

I seen a lot of good job on MM, a lot of garbage too, like here, like everywhere. Nowhere on the internet - even if you have to pay to be a member - you'll be sure to be amongst the best, particularly if you're a rookie.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching