RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Eyelid texture

Old 11-20-2010, 06:07 PM

Eyelid texture

Hi,

The below file is completely unretouched / straight from RAW. How would you deal with these closed eyelids?
I mean, in the centre of the eyelids there's hardly any texture / they're very soft. Even once I'm finished dodging/burning the rest of the skin (pore texture is relatively important), there'd still be quite a big difference, which would be distracting.

One thing I thought about is frequency-separating the texture from the top right part of this crop, bending it and then overlaying it over the eyelid.

Any other suggestions?

Sorry I can't post the complete image due to copyright restrictions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eyelid.jpg (80.2 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Patron

Re: Eyelid texture

Instead of transplanting that upper texture, what about the following?
Duplicate BG. Apply Image > Blue channel of BG in Color Burn Blend Mode.
Perform an Asymetric Frequency Separation - that's where the color is completely separated out of the high frequency layer. Then discard the color burn and low freq layers leaving you with lots of texture that you can mask in as required.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ikiri Eyelid MM.jpg (162.8 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 08:48 PM

Looking good! A bit 'blotchy', but that's obviously just a matter of some decent "hand work" now.
What do you mean by 'Asymetric' FreqSep ? How is that achieved?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikiri View Post
Looking good! A bit 'blotchy', but that's obviously just a matter of some decent "hand work" now.
What do you mean by 'Asymetric' FreqSep ? How is that achieved?
In a normal Freq Sep the High Freq layer appears to be gray but it actually has a lot of color. All of the edges have had their contrast increased and you can see that by raising the saturation very high on that layer.
It will not happen often but sometimes you may want to completely eliminate colors from the HF layer. This is one of those case because you don't want the distorted color of the Color Burn layer when you use its texture.

To perform a Freq Sep in which the color is completely separated, you would proceed as follows:

Copy the layer you wish to separate 3 times. Name the bottom layer Low Freq; the middle layer name Color; the top layer name High Freq and set this layer to Linear Light Blend Mode.
To the bottom layer, Image>adjust>Desaturate (Ctrl+Shift+U). Immediately do Edit>Fade Desaturate and change the blend mode to Hue. This is required in order to restore the luminosity which was changed by the desaturation. Now apply your Gaussian Blur to this layer as you normally would.
Next select your top layer (HF). Again desaturate and Edit>Fade Desaturate to Hue blend mode. Now do the Image > Apply Image using the Low Freq layer as the source.
Finally select the Color layer and set the blend mode to Color.
At this point you are finished. However, you really do not need 3 layers, so merge the Color layer down onto the Low Freq layer.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 AM

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikiri View Post
....One thing I thought about is frequency-separating the texture from the top right part of this crop, bending it and then overlaying it over the eyelid.
...In my opinion what you thought is actually the easiest, fastest and best way to deal with it .... the couple of things I did differently were:
the selection ... instead of the top right part of this crop, I selected the 'center near top' part as the texture in that part is the most similar for lines and arch to that of the naturally 'textured' part of the eyelid. (Attachment 1)

After Frequency separation I moved the HF layer set to Linear Light over the softer part of the eyelid refining position and adjusting opacity until happy with the result.

I created a Layer mask for the HF layer so I could remove the hard edges and better blend with the surrounding parts of the image.

You can always duplicate the HF Layer, move it around and adjust its opacity to distribute an even texture all over the eyelid.
My result: (Attachment 2)
200% Zoom: (Attachment 3)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-117.jpg (87.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-115.jpg (87.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-116.jpg (155.8 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Patron

Great job Flora!.
Yes, if you are not looking to exactly replicate the original texture that was there, Flora's method is more efficient and looks great. BTW, if the texture of the other eye is good or if there is similar texture elsewhere in the image, you can apply the same technique or heal from a similar area. Flora's method works especially well when you have large areas of texture to replace.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Murray,
In your Edit>Fade>Desaturate steps, how much fade did you apply?

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 11:23 AM

The fade is just used to get the right luminosity by fading the desaturation to "Hue" mode. No changes in the opacity are made whatsoever.

I did a video about the technique he used once, maybe that'll clarify things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYFl4Gf3Qp4 :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all your help with this! I agree Flora's technique looks best. But it's still good to know about this slightly different FreqSep technique from Murray!

Murray – I still didn't quite understand what you did. Is this correct:
1) Do an ApplyImage with the blue channel
2) Use the result of 1) as the 'base' layer for the following 3-way separation (in other words: result of 1) duplicated 3 times, followed by ApplyImage/ Hue / etc...

I'm quite intrigued by this 3-way FreqSep. Once I have some spare time, I think I'll play around for a bit with various blending modes / hue&sat layers... I think it could be possible to actually create a skin-look that's kind of "gold" or "silver" or "bronze". (Obviously with a tiny bit of manual d&b to achieve the reflective qualities)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Patron

Ikiri, yes, you've got it. Note that it was my intent in this case to discard the resulting LF and Color Layer because I only wanted the texture. However, you may find this type of freq sep useful. Because there is no color in the HF layer, you can take texture from anywhere in the image and heal it or to another area. The source destination takes on the texture and if you do it on an edge that has two different colors on either side, you will not blur the colors into each other which is the problem you get when you try to heal across an edge in an image that is not frequency separated. See the attachment in which texture from the tree was healed over the egde of the horses ear.
The normal technique for freq separation avoids to some extent this smudging effect but where very strong colors meet, you still get some contamination. With an asymetric split you do not. However, the texture is very visible some you will not want to do this on certain images.
As with the regular freq split, you can do all the same things with the asymetric split in terms of recoloring or blurring the GB layer. Most of the time you will want to merge the color layer onto the LF layer so you still only have two layers to work with.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Asymetric Screenshot Copy.jpg (169.2 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching